Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Eating his food

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Eating his food   Sun 13 Mar 2011, 9:48 pm

Enzo is being strange when we give him his food. Its not something new, he has done this on and off for a while. What happens is that we put his food in his bowl, put it down, then say 'go on then' or 'ok' because he waits before he eats it. But sometimes he doesn't eat it, he just looks at us, so we say 'go on' again, sometimes we have to say it a few times and then he will eat it.

Its not that he isn't hungry, he is hesitating before he starts. This morning he did this, and when he eventually did eat it, he was picking a kibble up and then taking it away then eating it??

I say we, because my dad feeds him in the morning and evening but at the weekends I feed him. Maybe this is confusing him?

When we mentioned this to a trainer she said we should put the food down for 5 mins and take it away if he hasn't eaten it. But i'm not sure, I think its something we are doing wrong. Any ideas? scratch
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31850

PostSubject: Re: Eating his food   Sun 13 Mar 2011, 9:56 pm

Does he eventually eat it and if so over what period?

I think 5 mins is too soon personally and if I was to implement this method I would leave it down for 20 minutes before picking it up. I would then not feed him until his next meal time

Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Eating his food   Sun 13 Mar 2011, 10:08 pm

Yes he does eventually eat it all and quite quickly.

The only time he hasn't hesitated is when I gave him some salmon mouse with his kibble, he loved it and was straight in there! We have ran out of it so I ordered some more this weekend as he likes it so much.

But he has always had JWB nothing different.

Saturday morning I put his bowl down said ok and then went up to the loo, I could hear him wimpering, when I came back he was led down looking at it but hadn't touched any! So I said 'go on' again and then he ate it as normal.

He is a strange one. I think he is confused for some reason
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Eating his food   Sun 13 Mar 2011, 10:18 pm

Has anyone else been using different commands for him to get his food?

Has he been told off for something just as he is about to eat?

Could he be bored with his food if he wolfs it down with the mousse on? I think dogs are tempted more by smell than taste so maybe it is not tempting enough?

Has he been like this since you ran out of the mousse?

Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Eating his food   Sun 13 Mar 2011, 10:49 pm

No it was happening before the mouse. But he definately likes the smell he cant resist it!

I do wonder what my dad says but I know he wouldn't of told him off. He likes to tease enzo sometimes. I dont even know why my dad feeds him, he took it upon himself to start doing it. (Oh the joys of living at home with the parents) Can you tell I love it lol! I am gratefull for his help but it sometimes messes up my training with Enzo as he doesn't even stick to any of the basic house rules I have put in place. So it wouldnt suprise me if its something he has done to confuse him. (Sorry i'm ranting a bit now lol)
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Eating his food   Mon 14 Mar 2011, 6:34 am

Can you have a word with your Dad and tell him you want to feed him for the next month and see how you get on?

Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: Eating his food   Mon 14 Mar 2011, 10:53 am

Can't add much but just a thought - has anyone dropped the food by accident just as they were putting it down? This can cause hesitation in approaching the food and seeking reassurance sometimes?
Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Eating his food   Mon 14 Mar 2011, 12:32 pm

My dads the type of person that will go off on one if I say anything! He could of dropped it but not that I know of
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Eating his food   Mon 14 Mar 2011, 1:34 pm

I dont know what else to suggest Sel, maybe Adam has come across this and may some alternative suggestions that we have not thought of?

I could move this post to his section if you wish?

Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Eating his food   Mon 14 Mar 2011, 7:55 pm

Its ok its not a massive problem really. Personally I think he's confused by being fed by different people and different commands. I usually get him to sit before I let him eat it but then my dad doesn't, I remembered this earlier and also when he was a puppy we would ask him to stop half way through when we were still training him, so he has remembered this and when someone says something when he's eating it I think he thinks he has to stop. So he must be confused. I need to just be the one that feeds him really and not interupt him, get him used to the same routine without any1 interfeering.

Hopefully I can move out soon and then it will just be me and Enz and I can train him properly. :)

But thanks for your suggestions, think I just needed to get it off my chest and talk about it with someone.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Eating his food   Mon 14 Mar 2011, 7:57 pm

Good luck xx

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eating his food   

Back to top Go down