Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Chloe and other dogs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Chloe and other dogs   Thu 17 Mar 2011, 7:51 pm

Well the tablets Chloe is on seem to have reminded her that she does not like other dogs. This week she has been a nightmare with other dogs.
Last night she lunged at an alsation that walked past us whilst Reuben walked past nice and calmly (which was a suprise)
Tonight I took her out on her own and she went for a Doberman and a terrier type dog which was roaming loose and every garden we walked past where a dog lives (she remembers them all!) she had her hackles up pulling to get to the garden.

I don't know what has gotten into her this week. Tomorrow will be a test as she was great at the vets with all other dogs when she went for her MOT a couple of weeks ago

Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23449

PostSubject: Re: Chloe and other dogs   Thu 17 Mar 2011, 8:02 pm

Hope the trip to the vets goes well honey xx

Do the tablets mention any side effects - maybe it may mention making them more alert or something x
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Chloe and other dogs   Thu 17 Mar 2011, 8:33 pm

She is a lot more alert Suzie. In general she is like a younger dog except she still has the restrictions of her arthritis.
A lot of the strange behaviours have ceased as the tablets increase circulation to the brain

Back to top Go down
K999
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 1087

PostSubject: Re: Chloe and other dogs   Thu 17 Mar 2011, 8:52 pm

just out of interest, what is the medication?
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Chloe and other dogs   Thu 17 Mar 2011, 9:01 pm

Vivitonin Adam

Chloe has always been a grump with other dogs even though she came from a rescue shelter and was sharing a kennel with 4 other dogs. Some time ago I started to walk them seperately as I was worried about her behaviour rubbing off on Reubs, however I now do it most of the time on our evening walks as she cannot keep up with him on day to day walks.

Over the last 12 months she had become fairly tolerant of other dogs and less than a month ago she was great with all the dogs in the vets surgery but this week it is like she is actively looking for them and wants to challenge any dog she see's

Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: Chloe and other dogs   Thu 17 Mar 2011, 9:05 pm

Its strange isnt it, maybe its reactivated a certain part of her memory, I hope all goes well tomorrow Jo xxxx
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Chloe and other dogs   Thu 17 Mar 2011, 9:12 pm

I will be speaking to the vets about her meds tomorrow as we have to give him an update so he can decide whether to progress with the medication or try something else.
I am happy with progress on these tabs in all other areas so we will have to see what he says tomorrow

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Chloe and other dogs   Thu 17 Mar 2011, 9:23 pm

She does seem to have had a new lease of life lately, hope everything goes well tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
K999
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 1087

PostSubject: Re: Chloe and other dogs   Thu 17 Mar 2011, 9:31 pm

interesting (for me, a pain for you!) that a revitalising medication brought out this sort of response. I wonder (pure speculation here) if this is a more normal behavioural response to other dogs which was supressed by Chloe's limited physical abilities. Now she feels 'younger' again she has the confidence to express it?

seeing though your chatting to the vet soon, ask them about maybe using a L-Tryptophan based supplement.
L-Tryptophan is a small protein used to make serotonin in the brain, and considering vivitonin increases blood flow across the blood brain barrier (from body into brain) this may increase the amount of brain L-Tryptophan and thus the amount serotonin being created.
Serotonin basically regulates mood and makes you feel good, it's known as the 'happy hormone'.

Again, this is all speculation, I am no vet! But it's maybe something to think about.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Chloe and other dogs   Thu 17 Mar 2011, 9:35 pm

Thanks Adam, I will write that down and take it with me x

Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 9711

PostSubject: Re: Chloe and other dogs   Thu 17 Mar 2011, 11:06 pm

i agree with k999 on this one ,think she's getting back to innate responses
with the medication

if they change the tablets don't forget about me, for any spare ones left over jo lol!
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Chloe and other dogs   Thu 17 Mar 2011, 11:08 pm

I'll bear you in mind Linda love

Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23449

PostSubject: Re: Chloe and other dogs   Fri 18 Mar 2011, 7:02 am

Hi Jo - I would also lean towards Adam suggestion too - if the flow to the brain and hormones are stimulated then it is possible for the alert state you see in Chloe - would be great to see what you vet has to say too xxx
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Chloe and other dogs   Fri 18 Mar 2011, 9:07 am

I spoke to the vets and they dont think I need to use the L-Tryptophan based supplement with the vivitonin. He would only suggest trying it if I was unhappy with the vivitonin.

Chloe was a dream in the vets. There was a very large male staffie in there and she immediately lunged for it barking. Anyway after I had signed in her demeanour completely changed so I allowed her to meet this dog. She was sniffing it and allowing it to sniff her all the while her tail was going 100 mile an hour but she still had her ears pinned right back so I was keeping an eye on her and then buggar me she instigated play with him. She soon backed off as she realised he was a bit rougher than Reubs but I was so proud of her behaviour. I cant work her out as she was a blinking demon last night?

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Chloe and other dogs   Fri 18 Mar 2011, 8:57 pm

How's she got on today? Been thinking about her and her eye?

But also way to go Chloe, she is just a total babe, instigating play is when you feel good spinner smile
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Chloe and other dogs   Fri 18 Mar 2011, 8:59 pm

She is not too bad Jan, I have put a post up about it xx

http://staffiezone.boardonly.com/t10489-chloe-s-op

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chloe and other dogs