Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Introducing your dog to a baby

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Introducing your dog to a baby   Wed 23 Mar 2011, 9:56 pm

My sister in law (they arn't married yet but easier to explain) will be having a baby girl early July time.

We dont have any babies in the family or young children so this will be new to Enzo. He is fine around children, the next door neighbours kids come round sometimes to stroke him.

Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated on what I should do as I don't know how he will react. I was thinking of putting his lead on the first time they bring the baby around, would this be a bad idea?

He is quite jumpy and excitable when people visit, especially my brother for some reason. I keep telling him he needs to be firmer with enz but he doesn't listen, he lets him jump all over him. Enzo actually head butted Rachels knee today accidently when we opened the door because of how excited he was. He never jumps up at me or mum he knows not to so he can do it.

Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 9711

PostSubject: Re: Introducing your dog to a baby   Wed 23 Mar 2011, 10:04 pm

i know one thing is to play babies crying noise
to get the dogs used to the sound
dell can be told to be gentle and seems to know to be
not in a huge way though
congratulations aunty selena x
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23371

PostSubject: Re: Introducing your dog to a baby   Thu 24 Mar 2011, 6:13 am

Awwww Sel will be an Auntie hehe xx

You could also buy a doll that cries and the DVD Sel was talking about - I am sorry though I dont have children so cant really offer any advice - but good on you Sel for asking and planning now xx
Back to top Go down
jakies13
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 7512

PostSubject: Re: Introducing your dog to a baby   Thu 24 Mar 2011, 7:02 am

To start with after the baby is born ask if you can have an item for Enzo to have that smells of the baby. This will let him have a good smell on his own accord so when the baby comes to visit the smell wont interest him as much.

Also i have found with my two and others that when there is a baby around they just know to be gentle. I think its definately the nanny dog coming out in them.

Im sure he will be fine but maybe instead of accidents could you by a house line and use it just for now to teach him again that you dont want him jumping up. Especially when your brother comes to visit. spinner smile

Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Re: Introducing your dog to a baby   Thu 24 Mar 2011, 8:25 am

Great advise, things I haven't thought of. I'm putting my foot down now with the jumping up we have let him off too much but now there is an important reason to stop it.

I'm so excited to be an aunty :)
Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: Introducing your dog to a baby   Thu 24 Mar 2011, 9:25 am

Good advice and congratulations, I have taught cassie the gently command. xxx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Introducing your dog to a baby