Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Jealousy issues

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
HazelJ
Silver Forum Member
Silver Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 303

PostSubject: Jealousy issues   Thu 24 Mar 2011, 11:40 pm

I am wondering if anyone who has more than one dog has this problem.

I like to give attention to BOTH dogs and when Mia is giving me kisses & i am patting her or brushing her a certain little staffy boy comes up and jumps between Mia & I and pushes her out of the way like i am his Mummy only, i am a bit worried that Mia might retaliate and try to attack him(she atttacks him at times and Harley comes running to me so i'm the one who ends up getting bitten) and i cop it again.

Even if i pat both of them at the same time he tries to barge her out of the way- he gets called bargie lol.
Back to top Go down
K999
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 1087

PostSubject: Re: Jealousy issues   Fri 25 Mar 2011, 11:41 am

I personally believe dog's don't do jealousy, I've always found a different underlying explanation for such behaviours.

getting bitten is no fun!

What happens if you stop Harley from getting in between you and Mia?
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: Jealousy issues   Fri 25 Mar 2011, 12:12 pm

Interesting you say that Adam as I would have said dogs can be jealous or display a similar emotion.
If I fuss Chloe Reuben will more often than not always come over for a fuss. Chloe is not too bothered and sometimes will come over, other times not.

Back to top Go down
K999
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male

PostSubject: Re: Jealousy issues   Fri 25 Mar 2011, 12:35 pm

would you say that was jealousy or Reuban thinking,"mum's handing out fusses,cool, I want some of that!"

If somebody was giving out free cash to people, would you go up for the free money because you want free money or go up because you were jealous of the other people getting free money?

it's a fine line I know, and to be honest makes next to no difference in the real world. But, if I'm working with an owner and problem dog, it is useful to get the owner into the mindset of the dog and out of the mindset of the human. Anthropomorphism can hinder behavioural modification programs an awful lot.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: Jealousy issues   Fri 25 Mar 2011, 12:49 pm

Never thought of it that way

Back to top Go down
Bubbles-mum
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1916

PostSubject: Re: Jealousy issues   Fri 25 Mar 2011, 12:58 pm

My two do this. This is a cat and dog here. If Leo is on rus or my lap bubbles gives the eye to us or Leo does the same if bubbles is on our lap.
Back to top Go down
Toni
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 5585

PostSubject: Re: Jealousy issues   Fri 25 Mar 2011, 1:54 pm

Same here too, If Buddy has 5 minutes with me, stella gets in between and pushes him out. I push her out and she will eventually sulk off and leave us to it. But she never learns, she does it everytime.

Same with treats, if i give Buddy his first, she will take it off him. And his that laid back his not bothered in the slightest, he will back off and leave his things for her.

I think this could be I over compensated when I got stella, with her being in a cage majority of her first year before I got her, I gave her alot of fuss and attention to bring her round. umm
Back to top Go down
HazelJ
Silver Forum Member
Silver Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Jealousy issues   Tue 29 Mar 2011, 1:40 am

Adam- If i stop Harley from getting in between Mia & i let's just say he likes my wrist to gnaw on, he bites me but not hard most of the time and gives a noise that is kind of like a growl but not a full growl. I always try to stop them biting me as it hurts & i know it's not right, i just tell them that.

I just call it jealous cause that was the best way to describe it(i'm not good at putting things into words).
Back to top Go down
K999
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male

PostSubject: Re: Jealousy issues   Thu 31 Mar 2011, 6:52 pm

It sounds like Harley forces affection off you, which, as you say, simply isn't right. I don't like dogs using teeth in any circumstances, even if they are just resting an open mouth on your arm. Dogs use teeth and different levels of bites to communicate with each other, but dog's should never use this tool to communicate with humans.

Harley needs to learn that forcing and demanding doesn't get what he wants.

There are a few ways of doing this;
the simplest way is, as soon as Harley begins to begin forceful (if Mia is next to you it'll be when he approaches) you have to address it. If he has good sit training, as he approaches ask him to sit and wait, after a minute or so, he's earned a fuss! As soon as he uses his teeth or growls, get up and turn your back, if you like walk away aswell. It's your attention he's after so he needs to learn in order to get it he has to be polite, he'll soon realise that everytime he trys to force it you ignore him leaving no chance for attention!
If you like, when he bites, squeal as you stand up, (this is what puppies do when they have been bitten too hard by another pup) this is a sound Harley will recognise and will show will show he has gone too far, ignoring him will emphazise the point.
It's now down to how quickly Harley picks up the message!
Back to top Go down
HazelJ
Silver Forum Member
Silver Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Jealousy issues   Thu 07 Apr 2011, 12:41 am

Thanks Adam, will do that, i already do the squealing part( i read it in a dog behaviour book) and some of the other things but i will try it all.

He has learnt how to sit which is good.

I'm so glad to get advice from someone who knows what they are talking about. Thank you. Now i hope the bill won't be to expensive lol.
Back to top Go down
K999
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male

PostSubject: Re: Jealousy issues   Thu 07 Apr 2011, 9:45 am

lol, don't get me started on bills!!!!

I can't believe what some people have the cheek to charge for a very poor service based on the equivalent of old wives tales! I've been to some people who have shelled out £300 for a days consultancy which made no difference and sometimes made things a lot worse!
I know of one trainer treating a 'dominant' GSD, she got the family to growl at it through the kitchen door 'to show it who was boss' (?!) and when they re opened the door the dog pinned the behaviourist against the wall by the shoulders and growled and snarled right in her face. This company charges £295 per day.

as I mainly deal with last chance dogs I can't charge much, if somebody has spent a year and hundreds of pounds trying to sort a problem dog they generally aren't inclined to throw more money at a behaviourist or trainer who might turn out to be as bad as the last. I just don't want dogs turning up at our rescue with small issues which will only get much worse in the rescue environment.......which unluckily for me means I have to work part time on oil rigs to make up the mortgage!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jealousy issues   

Back to top Go down

Jealousy issues
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1