Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Rushing out the door

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Rushing out the door    Fri 15 Apr 2011, 10:49 am

The dogs are driving us mad at the moment in the evenings every time we approach the back door they all charge like a herd of elephants to get through it .

I think it's a combination of new cats in the area and the muntjac deer but it's become like an obsession with Amy to get out every chance she gets. We can get some control on them but if we don't catch it quick enough it can get like a free for all or a scrum as they all squeeze through a small gap on top of each other. It does sound funny but to be honest I'm getting worried that one of them will get hurt. They have access to the garden nearly all day so it's not a novelty to go out there.

One thing that is surprising me is the big lad Bailey - he's acting like a giant puppy joining in with the race for the garden - he's 10 this year scratch

Even if I get all 3 to sit and wait once I open the door fully and let them out they still charge at 90 miles an hour to get there. To be honest their manners aren't too good either - it doesn't pay to get in the way of them oh no
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31917

PostSubject: Re: Rushing out the door    Fri 15 Apr 2011, 10:54 am

Could you make them all sit and let them out one at a time once they are calm?

When we are working on recall at class we sit the dogs in a line and the owners stand at the other side of the hall. Each owner has to call their dog one at a time and the others have to remain sat where they are.

Maybe something like this could help you? You could work on it elsewhere away from the excitement of the back door and then move onto the back door area and see how you get on?

Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: Rushing out the door    Fri 15 Apr 2011, 11:12 am

Really good point there Jo thanks - to be honest I have been focusing on dealing with the back door rush as it happens and their concentration is at level zero

We have a really good routine for the front door when dad comes home to prevent mayhem because of the girls when we had the issues, I used to practise with them all the time when he wasn't coming home until it became automatic for them to go their "special place" when he did come in.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rushing out the door    

Back to top Go down

Rushing out the door
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1