Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Pulling on leashes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
HazelJ
Silver Forum Member
Silver Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 303

PostSubject: Pulling on leashes   Thu 28 Apr 2011, 11:00 pm

Harley has a thing about pulling on leashes well Mia's mainly, it was bath time yesterday so i had to put their collars & leashes on(i use choke chains just for this as the dog washer can clip them to the side of the bath) anyway i put Mia's on her & Harley grabbed it and pulled so hard that he nearly choked Mia, but she got her revenge. He then grabbed his own & was playing tug of war with me. How can i stop him doing this?
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 9711

PostSubject: Re: Pulling on leashes   Thu 28 Apr 2011, 11:02 pm

the dog washer is a person and not a machine right ? threadhijacked
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: Pulling on leashes   Thu 28 Apr 2011, 11:04 pm

Does he also try and pull on the leads when you are walking them?

Back to top Go down
HazelJ
Silver Forum Member
Silver Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pulling on leashes   Fri 06 May 2011, 5:07 am

Yes the dog washer is a person, she has a mobile dog washing van but she works like a machine lol. Yes he does pull on & try to chew through the leashes on walks.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: Pulling on leashes   Fri 06 May 2011, 6:00 am

Have you thought about using chain leads?

Back to top Go down
K999
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 1087

PostSubject: Re: Pulling on leashes   Fri 06 May 2011, 7:49 am

we get this alot at the rescue centre, it's generally just over excitement at the prospect of a walk.

All I generally do is stop to excitement so the dog gets bored fast and lets go. It's only fun if there is a reaction. If you start trying to pull the lead out of the dogs mouth you are only participating in a game of tug or war...exactly what the dogs wants, a exciting game!

All I do is hold the lead as close to his mouth as possible and also hold his coller so he can't wriggle about. Once you hold him still for a little bit he'll calm down and get bored of this failed play attempt, then you can ease the lead out and start again.

To prevent it completely you have to take all the excitement out of putting leads on and leaving the house.
Back to top Go down
HazelJ
Silver Forum Member
Silver Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Pulling on leashes   Mon 09 May 2011, 12:44 am

Thanks for the advice i will try it i just wish he wouldn't do it to Mia as i know what she's like and he wouldn't do it when i am trying to put it on them.

It's my fault as i don't walk them as much as i should as i have some back problems & can't walk far or for long distances so by the time i get out the gate i'm in loads of pain & can't take anything for it so it's either crawl with the dogs or end up in a wheel chair.

I don't use chain leads but i do use choke chains for their bath collars but that's it i have regular collars & leashes for them, plus an extendable lead for walks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pulling on leashes   

Back to top Go down

Pulling on leashes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1