Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Playtime in the back yard

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Playtime in the back yard   Wed 29 Jun 2011, 6:23 pm

Ruby and Elsdon have two quite firm small balls that they really like and will chase in the back yard and is a good way of releasing some pent up energy that they have at times.

My worry though is that they seem quite hyper when playing with them and I'm worried about them hurting themselves chasing them in a fairly confined space. They come quite close to the walls and the shed door when chasing them and I think my worry is that they will get it wrong and head butt the wall or run into the shed door? When it's been hot I've got the (now deceased) playing pool out and chucked the balls in there so that they get wet and keep fairly cool, especially Ruby who seems to feel the heat more than Elsdon.

Does anyone else play with their dogs in a fairly small place and how do you keep things fairly calm when doing so? I have made one wait while I throw the ball for the other one and that seems to work but I wondered if anyone else had any tips?

Thank you spinner smile
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: Playtime in the back yard   Wed 29 Jun 2011, 6:32 pm

Here's a photo of our back yard to give you some idea of how big/small it is, I usually throw the ball into the corner across from the bins (and I've noticed the steps, they'll have to go!)
Back to top Go down
Toni
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 5585

PostSubject: Re: Playtime in the back yard   Wed 29 Jun 2011, 7:15 pm

I think you are over worrying TBH. They will be careful when and if they hurt themselves - I bet they never have though, have they?

They get walks daily as well as the exercise in the yard, dont they? Id say, they'll be fine, if possible too, take them with their balls to a field for them to have a larger running space?
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: Playtime in the back yard   Wed 29 Jun 2011, 7:43 pm

I'm so impressed you can make one wait whilst you throw a ball for the other - my girls won't do wait when it comes to balls spinner smile

I'd like to say they are a work in progress but that would be lying - it's all work and no progress lol!

I think they will be fine Jan- I know what you mean by releasing that energy build up. It might take a couple of light knocks but they do tend to find their own limits. You have really good control of your two so you can always nip it in the bud if they go too mad in the space available.
Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Re: Playtime in the back yard   Wed 29 Jun 2011, 8:47 pm

Our back garden isnt too small but sometimes he will get over excited and start wrecking the plants (mum not too happy about that) so I tend to stop him and let him calm down before we start play time again.

I wouldn't worry too much, staffies can take a few knocks they have tough skin (so i've been told) and like said above, they know their own limits.
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23449

PostSubject: Re: Playtime in the back yard   Wed 29 Jun 2011, 9:09 pm

Bless you I am sure they are aware of their surrounding honey - my boys go mental in the home and I cringe sometimes as its not a big house lol xx
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: Playtime in the back yard   Wed 29 Jun 2011, 10:19 pm

Thank you all, you've put my mind at rest. I think what I have in the back of my mind is two years at obedience training that says all play should be controlled and not staffie minded, which is usually hell for leather lol!

They are so quick at it, in fact I've just had them outside separately for a before bed time bit of run about.

Yes Liz, I should have more faith in myself because I can make them wait their turn and control them that way.

Oh thank you all so much, I think I've forgotten how to be a fun staffie owner

spinner smile
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: Playtime in the back yard   Wed 29 Jun 2011, 10:23 pm

Toni wrote:
I think you are over worrying TBH. They will be careful when and if they hurt themselves - I bet they never have though, have they?

They get walks daily as well as the exercise in the yard, dont they? Id say, they'll be fine, if possible too, take them with their balls to a field for them to have a larger running space?

Yep I think I am over worrying as yes they get a walk round town in the morning and a good run around in the afternoon on the playing fields. I think I need to lighten up a lot! Thanks Toni and also see above, I've become a serious dog owner and need to get out of it spinner smile
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: Playtime in the back yard   Wed 29 Jun 2011, 10:24 pm

suziet wrote:
Bless you I am sure they are aware of their surrounding honey - my boys go mental in the home and I cringe sometimes as its not a big house lol xx

Me too in our living room, it's not that big either and Elsdon runs underneath the coffee table lol!
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: Playtime in the back yard   Sun 03 Jul 2011, 9:57 am

I only have a small back garden Jan but a large front garden which is very open so we have the same problem.
Thankfully there are lots of places we can go locally and have time off the lead so it has never been a problem.
Reuben has tried to play with his noseball in the back garden which was a disaster so it is now inaccessible for him

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: Playtime in the back yard   Sun 03 Jul 2011, 1:03 pm

I've stopped being so paranoid about them playing in the back yard now, they are so quick at catching the ball I hardly have time to chuck it before it's in their mouths lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Playtime in the back yard   

Back to top Go down

Playtime in the back yard
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1