Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Choke chains -Your views

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jakies13
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 7512

PostSubject: Choke chains -Your views   Sun 17 Jul 2011, 7:36 am

What are everyone's views on choke chains?
Do you or have you used them?

I am personally not keen as i have heard horror stories about the windpipe of dogs collapsing do to have constant strain on the throat.
But they can be affective in training when used correctly...so its swings and roundabouts

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: Choke chains -Your views   Sun 17 Jul 2011, 9:35 am

Never used them and never would. I think there are just as effective products on the market which produce less risk of injury to the dogs.

If you don't use one correctly then I have heard that a lot of damage can be done to the throat area and why would you want to use a product that 'choke's your dog?

I think a Halti or GL can give just as good results and even better is time and effort on training

Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: Choke chains -Your views   Sun 17 Jul 2011, 9:54 am

I dont like them and wouldnt use one
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Choke chains -Your views   Sun 17 Jul 2011, 9:55 am

I would never use one, have never liked them and can't see the point of them. But if someone can show me one that works I'd be interested to see the advantage over other methods that can be used?

I walked past two young lads with a big rottie the other night who had a huge choke chain on and as he had to pull the dog away from me and Ruby and Elsdon the poor thing coughed so badly. I really wanted to say something but didn't. Wish I had now.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: Choke chains -Your views   Sun 17 Jul 2011, 10:05 am

Thing is Jan they are so cheap and easy to buy, they sell them in our pet shops a lot cheaper than a decent collar. There are no warning associated with them so people probably have no idea.

The owner of the rottie was obviously not using it correctly

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Choke chains -Your views   Sun 17 Jul 2011, 10:42 am

Oh yes I agree Jo, they are much cheaper than a good collar and I think they should be supplied with proper instructions how to use them.

Sorry I just hate the things even on big furry necked dogs like Rotties, beautiful dog it was too just curious about Ruby and Elsdon, no aggression at all but he just yanked it away.
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: Choke chains -Your views   Sun 17 Jul 2011, 12:47 pm

I loathe them - made the mistake of trying one once a few years back - Never again !!

They are cruel if managed incorrectly and also far too heavy on their necks.
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 9711

PostSubject: Re: Choke chains -Your views   Sun 17 Jul 2011, 12:48 pm

i wouldnt use one to cruel
not as bad as the pronged collars that you see on dog whisperer though
Back to top Go down
jakies13
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 7512

PostSubject: Re: Choke chains -Your views   Sun 17 Jul 2011, 1:32 pm

I agree Linda those pronged collars are even worse.
some serious damage could occur with them if put into the wrong hands x

Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: Choke chains -Your views   Sun 17 Jul 2011, 9:28 pm

Don't like the full check collars, but both of my boys have half check collars

Back to top Go down
Cassieloomismyers
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1159

PostSubject: Re: Choke chains -Your views   Sun 17 Jul 2011, 9:52 pm

They are a great tool if used correctly.

Trouble is most people don't buy the correct size for the dog and don't research how to fit and use them. We have used one on Myers and it works a treat, one short, Sharp lift of the lead against the collar (a correction done with 2 fingers) is enough to have him fall back in line. They don't choke the dog, when fitted correctly they sit high up on the neck and mimic a correction to the neck that a bitch would give its pup, a grip, a touch...the prong collars look barbaric but these are used for corrections when dogs have inches of thick fur such as alsations

I urge anyone to try it on your wrist, I did..ive even put it round my neck LOL and Its not a choking at all......then try a halti on your nose and give that a good yank.....think you will be surprised at which one causes the most pain!
Back to top Go down
dan
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male
Number of posts : 74

PostSubject: Re: Choke chains -Your views   Sun 17 Jul 2011, 10:08 pm

I have a harness for Bonnie but have a choke chain that I use some times have never had any problem with it although Bonnie is very well behaved and dose not pull when on the lead. And i think Would be usefull in controlling a big dog especially a rottie
Back to top Go down
K999
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 1087

PostSubject: Re: Choke chains -Your views   Sun 17 Jul 2011, 10:25 pm

anything which tightens on a dogs neck is coercive, and if coersion isn't fully understood before it is applied then it can cause big problems. It can also creat the illusion the dog is being obedient when actually the behaviour has simply been supressed, not addressed. Or if the tool is tight for more than a second then thats simply cruel. This also applies to basic collers and leads, I see plenty of dogs chocking themselves because the owners is allowing the dog to pull.
Choke chains are generally very small gauge thus too harsh for my liking and I find them counter productive.
I personally begin behavioural work with difficult dogs with a thick (12mm to 16mm) slip leads. My corrections never need to be harder than the strenght you'd use to pull on somebody sleeve to get their attention. I move onto coller and lead asap.

As for prong collers, I have NEVER seen them being used correctly, or infact a sitaution where they are the best option. The are supposed to mimic the mother dogs warning bite she issues her pups. Such warning bites rarely involve teeth and are reserved for very serious misconduct. The prong coller can only give a very serious reprimand for any type of unwanted behaviour, even if it was a tiny mistake, the dog still recieves the serious warning of the 'warning bite'. This can only supress the dog's behavioural output whilst the cause of the mistake hasn't actually been addressed.
Supressing behaviours simply makes the dog behave in your presence due to the fear associated with you and thus you can't tell if the problem is solved or just hiding and will reappear in another circumstance (like when you aren't present).

Mis-understood coersion is a huge concern for me if the dog develops issues they are usually aggression based, meaning I'm called into to help a family at risk from a serious bite from an aggressive dog they created!

I work with dogs by gaining their trust and respect by proving myself a calm confident leader who can handle any situation. At no point to I induce fear into the dog or cause it pain, as no trust or respect can be gained from such actions.
You control a dog with your brain not your brawn.
Back to top Go down
Cassieloomismyers
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1159

PostSubject: Re: Choke chains -Your views   Sun 17 Jul 2011, 10:47 pm

A rope slip lead is what we used first however we found it didn't 'release' very quickly, especially when wet. we use a very small link chain that releases immediately and as you point out, a correction should not last as long a second.

I use physical corrections on my dogs and I have used a choke chain and these methods are not suitable for everybody and can cause problems however when used correctly they are effective methods. In an ideal world all dog owners would have the thorough understanding of dog behaviour like you do but realistically not all of us do and sometimes, especially in multi dog households, control measures have to be put in place that are quick and effective for the short term whilst the long term issues are addressed in less 'brawny' ways.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Choke chains -Your views   

Back to top Go down

Choke chains -Your views
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1