Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Hudson is an awesome dog!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hudson
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male
Number of posts : 25

PostSubject: Hudson is an awesome dog!   Fri 22 Jul 2011, 4:31 am

Pete Loads of Love Hudson...but to be an effective trainer he must act like pack leader much of the time. Training, working with and helping Hudson be the best I can make him will be easy once I am fully trained. Acting the pack leader is essential. That I have noticed the significant effect of this in but a few days, makes it so obvious to me that it is critically important. A good quote (from http://www.pacificdogs.ca/): 'You cannot physically control a dog...its all a state of mind.'

We had an excellent afternoon. We walked through the little town on the beach that I live in looking for social opportunities. Most people love Hudson. For every person who avoids us (it could be me!), there are five who make a point of admiring him. We met several dogs with nothing but positive interaction.

Further down the seawalk, two border collies I know ran over to say hi to me. I love these guys and their human, my friend Ben. Hudsy was just a little nervous and growled a few times. Once I explained my actions to Ben, any growl or bark by Hudson made me pick up his leash and walk a few steps away. After just a few times, Hudson settled down and they had the normal dog interaction. Then Shep (12+ years) led all five of us to the creek. Perfect! A master of the species showing my pup how to be a dog.

Hudson then explored the beach a little and ran back, from 200 metres when I called him. He was romping in fresh and salt water on his own, watching a flock of geese but jumped to run back on my command. Upon his return, he was as relaxed as the rest of us. A wonderful step forward.

I have pictures of him on the beach and will post a few on the appropriate thread (How do our dogs compare?) when I have a chance...and figure our how to do it.
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 9711

PostSubject: Re: Hudson is an awesome dog!   Fri 22 Jul 2011, 7:47 am

i think we'll all claim to have the most awesome dog
when its me that has really
pleased your progressing well with him, hes getting there and will get there
cant wait to see the pics x
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: Hudson is an awesome dog!   Fri 22 Jul 2011, 10:53 am

Enjoyed reading your post - very positive spinner smile

It's very rewarding when you get to see the good results of the work you have put in.

I too have the most awesome dogs lol!
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hudson is an awesome dog!   Fri 22 Jul 2011, 10:58 am

can see a row developing here lol!
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hudson is an awesome dog!   Fri 22 Jul 2011, 11:08 am

bash
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hudson is an awesome dog!   Fri 22 Jul 2011, 1:38 pm

bash you know ive got him dont you ?
i know i have Tease
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hudson is an awesome dog!   Fri 22 Jul 2011, 2:31 pm

no way
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31854

PostSubject: Re: Hudson is an awesome dog!   Fri 22 Jul 2011, 8:02 pm

Sounds like a really positive day out, good luck and keep up the good work with him

Back to top Go down
Hudson
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male

PostSubject: An update on Hudson's progress   Mon 25 Jul 2011, 6:34 am

is really MY progress. It IS all in my head. What an impressive animal Hudson is, and only two years old! He responds to my pack leader mentality and is eager to learn to do what I want.

We've been walking on early morning (very early) walks where I incorporate a little play and a little training, including the emergency down. Then we go on search and socialize missions every afternoon. Hudson has met different dogs every day in the last week. I think my pack leader behaviour works on people, too. Yesterday we played with two pups, a 3 month Boxer and an 8 month Spaniel. Hudsy was off leash and the other two on long training ropes. It was a joyful time for all, but after a few minutes, I needed to sit to untangle my feet.

Today, as we walked a little on the beach, we met two dogs off leash. They came to greet us and early on, Hudson growled, so I turned away and walked a few steps. This technique is very effective. Just a few steps, and I turn sideways and continue our conversation, so it is not offensive to the people with dogs. The little terrier, 14 years old and about 7-8 kilos, was just marvellous. He knows the game. He and Hudsy postured and did the domination moves and although he is 4 times his size, Hudson being far junior to Chutney was a good student to one of the masters of the species. He learned a lot in a short time.

Tomorrow, I'll look for the dog park. This is an off leash park where dogs can run and play together. I hope my timing is good and there are other dogs there. I feel well on the way to reducing the chances of another frightening incident.

Now to pick up the pace physically with him. He is so agile! My tennis ball bounced a few feet when thrown to a height. Hudson jumps so he can catch it at the apex of the bounce. He was running circles on his own. I must keep working him and find things he can do on his own...ie a spring pole

Last edited by Hudson on Mon 25 Jul 2011, 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31854

PostSubject: Re: Hudson is an awesome dog!   Mon 25 Jul 2011, 6:46 am

Great stuff, really positive. You are both doing so well good job

I am sure he will love a spring pole and you can make one quite easily either out of wood or buy a punchbag bracket and atttach a bungee plait.

here is some info and pics on the spring pole

http://staffiezone.boardonly.com/t5726-spring-pole-what-is-it?highlight=SPRING%2A

Back to top Go down
Hudson
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Hudson is an awesome dog!   Tue 26 Jul 2011, 5:22 am

Just nudge me if you get tired of hearing about Hudson's exploits. Today we walked to the dog park. Not bad walking through the neighbourhood, and across a schoolground. Hudson had a nice time with a 1 year old Cairn Terrier. They strutted and ran, tug-o-warred with a fabric frisbee, Hudson doing his 'fierce' play growl and looking like he was pulling hard. They did a little mock combat, but Caper is so small...Hudson actually made it look like he was trampling the little guy but was putting very little pressure into the step. Remarkable. Then Hudson beckoned Caper to follow him, and they went into a stand of trees and cruised the perimeter fence together. Seriously, it looked just like the human way of non-verbally enticing another to follow with a subtle movement of the head.

Upon our return to the school field we ran and played, doing the emergency-down a few times. What is that command called...arm raised non-voice down command? This command is useful, potentially lifesaving, for when the dog is across a road with traffic bearing down on his path to you. Ultimately, the dog will lie down instantly and wait for you to cross the busy road and snap the leash on. Hudson still takes a few steps and the effective distance is only about 5 metres...and I still use voice, but it is very cool to see him do this after only a few sessions. What a dog!

I forgot the 'new' camera. I will be taping myself to see what Hudson sees. He's brilliant. He learns something with only 2-3 repititions. If he fails to comply, it's likely my command being loose in execution...voice inflection or hand signal.

Has anyone noticed a lapse in attention or training fatigue in their Staffie? I tend to do training in small intervals of time and if Hudsy has difficulty understanding my command or fails to comply I switch it up and do something else. Retrieving the ball only lasts a few tosses, then he leave the ball to look at something else...this is when I hit him with the e-down command.

Pete

Last edited by Hudson on Tue 26 Jul 2011, 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Hudson is an awesome dog!   Tue 26 Jul 2011, 7:46 am

Keep up the fantastic good work spinner smile You sound so positive.

Oh and Linda and Liz - I have the most awesome dog - Elsdon bash
Back to top Go down
Hudson
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Hudson is an awesome dog!   Tue 26 Jul 2011, 8:51 pm

Elsdon and Ruby are gems. Sorry for the pun...it just rolled off my fingers. And yes, Jan, I feel positive, too. Hudson is always so cheerful from morning til night...he gives me a real boost. Following the pack leader theory with basic behavioural coaching has eliminated the threat of 'aggression'. Just turn and walk away (just a few steps) if he growls and deny eye contact if he does what I don't want.

Todays morning walk had a few dogs in it. A Bijon Frieze who yapped until her Mom slapped her, continually telling her to shut up. The little one just wanted to come over for a sniff. How not to treat a dog in one easy lesson! When I saw them, I sat Hudson until I saw the human misbehaving...then we left.

We did a little training through the park and met two huskys. They sniffed until both our males growled. The other guy was on a schedule but I think with the time to follow the meeting ritual of sniffs they would have got on well. Next time. We found a great place for Hudsy to run...through the trees under a dense canopy on a steep slope. He runs it like it was flat ground, but what a workout for him! Close to home, entry from only one direction easy to keep track of who my little guy comes in contact with.

Last edited by Hudson on Thu 28 Jul 2011, 6:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hudson
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male

PostSubject: The latest Hudson exploits   Wed 27 Jul 2011, 3:53 am

Sorry to go on and on, but hey! Hudson is an awesome dog! I was four years without one and now I have the best dog I could have imagined. In fact, when I realized I was ready for another dog, Hudson was who - not just the breed, but the individual - I visualized as being my next dog. If you ask I will relate the tale.

Today we walked down one of the rivers here in our town, and met up with a lady and her son that have the little Boxer pup. Hudsy played off leash with two Yorkies, Blue the Boxer, a young female Spaniel, and an Eskimo. Menzy, the Spaniel is amazingly fast. Hudson cam when called even in the midst of a full speed lap around us. If any of the vid clips are good, I'll make them available. The 'little fella' got a workout tonight.
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23377

PostSubject: Re: Hudson is an awesome dog!   Wed 27 Jul 2011, 6:59 am

Awwwwwwww its lovely that you take such pride and joy in working with your pooch and if you want to share then chat away xxx

Keep up the work - would love to see some pics of your Hudson xx
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Hudson is an awesome dog!   Wed 27 Jul 2011, 12:43 pm

You and Hudson really have got it together now spinner smile

We need to see more pictures and a video of him, that would be smashing spinner smile
Back to top Go down
Hudson
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Hudson is an awesome dog!   Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:18 am

Hudson has 'played' off leash with at least one dog for the last five days. Today, we crossed the strait to walk on the south beach of Quadra Island. Ben can see this from his house and had to walk on it! We took Shep and Toby and the boys were trotting, sniffing and peeing together all day. This walk inlcuded a short but steep climb up a shoreside hill, including some bushwacking, followed by lunch and a nap in the sun.

Good to see Hudson being a normal dog, not some psychological freak, one with a hate for his own species. He just loves being a dog! I'll add the best pictures to my growing collection and share them with you when I can. I haven't seen directions for posting a video, or do I simply use a You Tube address?

Try this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1WtU3kE72w

or this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR1sS255QeM I think Menxy is fine here. She seems happy and OK with what Hudsy is givin`her. Tell me what you think.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hudson is an awesome dog!   

Back to top Go down

Hudson is an awesome dog!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1