Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Long leads?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Long leads?    Fri 02 Sep 2011, 10:40 am

Does anyone use a very long lead they would recommend?

We have two training leads which are a great length but last time we used them Maizie took off suddenly and I got really bad burns across my hand and fingers. Stung for days afterwards. Plus I lost the intructions and we never really got the hang of using them properly oops

I'm very reluctant to use them now. We've been thinking about the flexi leads with the comfort handles - does anyone use these?

We need something for when we get off the boat because they really do need to stretch their legs but we can't always let them run totally free because we never really know who's about because like us most people are only there visiting for a day too.
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: Long leads?    Fri 02 Sep 2011, 12:34 pm

I have a couple of flexi leads but to be honest they're just not made for strong dogs, they're fine with kai and indie but not so good with diesel just feels like if he tries to take off it would snap. The ones we have are the giant tape ones so meant for very large dogs.

Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Long leads?    Fri 02 Sep 2011, 12:47 pm

Thanks for that Claire - I'll have a look at the tape ones - I was a bit worried about the thin cord with Amy being a bit of a tank.
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Long leads?    Fri 02 Sep 2011, 1:00 pm

Do you use yours with your your tie-out peg thing when you are in your camper Claire? I absolutely hate the leads that come with this, if one of your dogs runs past you you get a nasty burn on your ankle!
Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: Long leads?    Fri 02 Sep 2011, 2:55 pm

I have a flexi lead but worry Cassie will snap it, so I have bought a long lead that is used for a horse LOL, it works well is a reasonable price and very strong dancing
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Long leads?    Fri 02 Sep 2011, 2:59 pm

Alliecass wrote:
I have a flexi lead but worry Cassie will snap it, so I have bought a long lead that is used for a horse LOL, it works well is a reasonable price and very strong dancing

Thanks Allie - Is the horse lead easy to pull them back with quickly if you had to do or could it cut it your hands? Maizie is a nightmare for moving very quickly and suddenly she always catches off guard lol!
Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Long leads?    Fri 02 Sep 2011, 3:09 pm

I find it easy to pull Cassie back with it is also thick so I havent burnt my hands with it, like I have in the past with the flexi lead, I bought mine from country wide farmers and they also have some lovely colours wihich I like xx
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: Long leads?    Fri 02 Sep 2011, 3:47 pm

I use the tough stuff double hook lead on the stakes as it just clips on and gives them a fair length too

Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 15687

PostSubject: Re: Long leads?    Fri 02 Sep 2011, 6:27 pm

Don't use a flexi lead, they really are not built for Staffies, they will hold the weight but it is when they lunge off like taking a run up that they can snap.

If you have a farm shop or horse tackle shop (not sure of their correct name) near you go for a horse lunge line, I got one of these for Kassi and it does not burn your hands when she lunges off (just takes your arm with it lol! ) they are strong. We tied a knot in one end to make like a handle and trust me Kassi is strong but I have no problems with it and the hook that goes on the collar or harness is nice and strong too.

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: Long leads?    Fri 02 Sep 2011, 9:18 pm

xclairex1 wrote:
I use the tough stuff double hook lead on the stakes as it just clips on and gives them a fair length too

I'll have to get a couple of these, they sound good, thanks.
Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Long leads?    Fri 02 Sep 2011, 9:44 pm

yes I think the one I have is a lunge line Sandi, they are brill xxx
Back to top Go down
K999
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 1087

PostSubject: Re: Long leads?    Fri 02 Sep 2011, 10:06 pm

if you go flexy lead I've got an 8m tape one by flexy ( I think ) and this hasn't broken when my (29kg) Mizzie has hit the end at speed!
I also use 6ft horse leads, basically a thick rope with a clip on the end, for general walking with Miz, it gives her a bit of range and is easy to hold.

of course, what ever you use if you let your dog et up some speed before the lead runs out and go tight then your shoulders are going to take a pounding! Also you'll need a grip of steel to keep hold!

I'd go for a shorter lead, or keep a long lead shortish and work on recall to begin with.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31850

PostSubject: Re: Long leads?    Sat 03 Sep 2011, 8:41 am

I use the 7m flexi lead for the largest size dogs and have never had an issue with it. I have had one for a couple of years now and have replaced it once due to the mechanism seizing up.

I tend to use mine on morning walks when it is dark when they won't be going off lead.

Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Long leads?    Sat 03 Sep 2011, 11:39 am

Thanks everyone- I think we'll have to go with the big dog tape flexi - mainly to make sure we don't fall over the long ones / lunge lines getting on and off the boat.

Going to get a couple of the lunge lines for at home though.

I will confess recall is an issue that needs addressing especially when we don't know what is round the corner on the walks sometimes. blush

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: Long leads?    Sat 03 Sep 2011, 11:45 am

Know that feeling well now Liz lol
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Long leads?    Tue 13 Sep 2011, 1:57 pm

Well I bought a couple of flexi leads - 5m tape. Used them this weekend and so far so good spinner smile

Only concern was when Maizie shot forward and I found I only just held onto the handle and it did really jolt - I think I'll be more ready for her in future though lol!
Back to top Go down
getcarter
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2019

PostSubject: Re: Long leads?    Thu 15 Sep 2011, 12:51 pm

I've always used the long training leads rather than the flexi ones, much easier to hold on to without rope burns. The lunge lines for horses are bascally the same.
Back to top Go down
candyrosie
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female
Number of posts : 190

PostSubject: Re: Long leads?    Sat 24 Sep 2011, 11:13 am

i have been advised against flexi leads as they wont cope with the pull from a staffie, i have just brought two leads that are elastic, they are not very long but they take the pull sting out, i got them from a stall from paws in the park i will look at the label and let you know where you can get them from will post back later x x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Long leads?    

Back to top Go down

Long leads?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1