Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

So upset

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: So upset   Mon 05 Sep 2011, 6:48 pm

Well today was not a good day to say the least.

I took enzo out at lunch time and an owner and puppy were walking behind us. Enz stopped to sniff the tree when the other 2 got closer, then enzo wanted to say hello. So we let them introduce and bang, it kicked off! I completley missed the signs so I blame myself.
The owner ran off carrying his dog to the other side of the road. I stayed there but the owner didnt want to talk. I shouted across and asked if his dog was ok he said no chunk has been taken out of its cheek and he walked off. When he stopped again I ran to catch up with him and shouted across the road again saying look I can give you my details and pay any vet bills. He said 'if you know your dogs like that you might wanna think about it you know' not sure what he was getting at but obviously he wasnt happy in the heat of the moment and all. He also said 'I know its what dogs do but you might wanna think about it, its probably ruined her social training now' which is understandable.
I caught up with him again as he was carrying his dog away, I said has he broken your dogs skin, he replied she has a cut on her cheek. I said look take my details, my dogs name is enzo, he said he was taking her to the vets pointing to the nearest and i said yes thats where he goes too so they will have his details. He wasnt interested but thats all I could do.

I was very shaken up and in tears when I went back to work, more annoyed at myself for not reading enzos body language and not stepping in sooner.

The guy lives very near by and we have met him before. You may recal my post about a man carrying a large fan which enzo was scared of and was barking at him, this is the same guy. So together with this it makes it worse!

I just hope the pup is ok I feel so bad and ashamed and upset by the whole thing :(
I know there isnt anything anyone can do but I wanted to write it down to get it off my chest.
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: So upset   Mon 05 Sep 2011, 7:07 pm

Awww Sel - unfortunately these things do happen - somethings gone wrong between the dogs communications - but you have handled it very honestly and openly group hug

You offered your contact details and he didn't respond - what else could you do.

I'm no way an expert but maybe Enzo does have a memory of the guy with the fan and was nervous with the pup because of this?

Don't beat yourself up - Enzo is not "like that" and you are a very responsible owner. Perhaps when the other owner has calmed down he will be more accepting about your honest response to the whole situation - he was probably in a bit of a panic at the time.

I hope you feel OK group hug
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31917

PostSubject: Re: So upset   Mon 05 Sep 2011, 7:24 pm

I have to agree with Liz. These things happen Sel, it wont be the first time and it wont be the last
I am not trying to make light of your situation, I really feel for you but as Liz says you are a very responsible owner and you have worked really hard with him and it shows. This was a blip but you will both get over it and hopefully you will get the chance to speak to the owner once he has calmed down

Try not to beat yourself up hun group hug

Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: So upset   Mon 05 Sep 2011, 7:25 pm

I didnt think about that, maybe he does remember. But I think it was mainly because it was a puppy and enzo seen this as a threat, unpredictable etc. I just wish I read the signs. Thank you tho Liz, I could do with a hug so will accept that one :)

Just a bit emotional at the moment but I will be ok. I haven't taken him out again, i'm worried I might see the guy as he lives down the road where I walk him.

Grrr so annoyed at the whole situation, everything is running through my head now, muzzleing him? Social classes? Never take him out the house again?! lol Wondering if the guy will contact me, what he will say, what the vets said, was the pup ok.
Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: So upset   Mon 05 Sep 2011, 7:33 pm

Staffylover wrote:
I have to agree with Liz. These things happen Sel, it wont be the first time and it wont be the last
I am not trying to make light of your situation, I really feel for you but as Liz says you are a very responsible owner and you have worked really hard with him and it shows. This was a blip but you will both get over it and hopefully you will get the chance to speak to the owner once he has calmed down

Thanks Jo :)
Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: So upset   Mon 05 Sep 2011, 7:39 pm

Staffylover wrote:

I agree with Jo and Liz, these things do happen and you are a responsible owner and you did everything you could by offering your contact details

group hug
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31917

PostSubject: Re: So upset   Mon 05 Sep 2011, 7:41 pm

Do you know where the guy lives Sel? If so why don't you pop around and see him or even put a note through the door if you don't feel comfortable seeing him.

You don't need to muzzle Enzo or take him to classes, just think back to 2 months ago and how far you have come with him

This is a little set back hun, nothing more and next time you will know what to expect if you meet him again and will be able to deal with it

Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: So upset   Mon 05 Sep 2011, 7:45 pm

Thanks Allie

Jo - I might leave it a few days for it to cool down and then maybe call the vets to see if the dog was ok. Only thing is, i remember him saying his wife works there on reception, could be a good thing though.
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23446

PostSubject: Re: So upset   Mon 05 Sep 2011, 8:19 pm

Awwwwwwwwwwww Sel honey - it really does make you feel deeply upset when incidents like this happen - you would never have done the intro if you had known Enz was gonna react like that xxxx

I would leave it a few days honey - you did try your best but he was obviously upset too - our dogs are our babies and he maybe just wanted to go home xxx

Lots of hugs honey - xxxxx
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: So upset   Mon 05 Sep 2011, 8:32 pm

It's just a little set back Sel that's all, don't let it get to you but do learn from it. Ruby disgraced herself on Friday evening when off the lead, it happens. One thing I have learnt from it was that my reactions have to be 10 times quicker than what they are at the moment. Their body language can change in the blink of an eye and this is what happened with us and Ruby on Friday.

If his wife does work at the vets she will be more savvy than others about what dogs are really like and that not all dogs get on with one another even if it is a puppy.

Alison (Missellie, she's a vet's receptionist) once said to me when Ruby was younger that if she got through the first two years of her life without another dog having a go at her I would be really lucky.

Don't blame Enzo too much either and don't let it cloud some really good work you have done with him in recent months, he will have forgotten about it now and you both need to move on and be positive again spinner smile

Big hugs group hug
Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 15687

PostSubject: Re: So upset   Mon 05 Sep 2011, 8:41 pm

Hun try not to upset yourself over this too much, as the others have said these blips happen.

I too wonder if it is possible that he may have remembered the fan and associated the guy with that.

I would also do as Suzie suggests and give it a couple of days, but I would definitely talk to him and not his wife about it. You never know what goes on behind closed doors and she wasn't there so you are best off making contact with him if you can - if not stick a note through the door.

Loads of group hug

Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: So upset   Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:07 pm

Thanks everyone, I feel so much better after talking about it. Gosh ive been through ups and downs & shared with everyone on here and you have all been here for me, thank you so much.

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: So upset   Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:08 pm

It's better to talk about it and find out you aren't the only one it happens to spinner smile
Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 15687

PostSubject: Re: So upset   Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:09 pm

janandruby44 wrote:
It's better to talk about it and find out you aren't the only one it happens to spinner smile

I second that spinner smile

Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: So upset   Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:20 pm

aw Selena try not to be too hard on yoursel, like everyone has said these things do sometimes happen, and I am sure something similar has happened to us all at some point.

You did all that you could, keep your chin up and don't stress yourself about it xxxx

Back to top Go down
Toni
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 5585

PostSubject: Re: So upset   Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:47 pm

After seeing the videos of Enzo meeting other dogs, I dont think his an aggressive dog. Yeah he did wrong today, but its ONE thing, compared to how many good things he does day in day out.

His a brilliant lad, chin up, tomorrow will be better.

As for the puppy, the owner was understandably upset, you didnt run from the accident, you owned up, offered to pay. Im sure he saw you was as shocked and upset - and sorry about the whole thing.
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 9711

PostSubject: Re: So upset   Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:56 pm

dont let it knock you back sel your doing so well with enzo
take a deep breath and move on
speak or leave a note for the guy
im sure he was upset when it happened
hopefully he'll have had time to settle down and think about it with out the heat of the moment
it was a slip up, group hug we all have them x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So upset   

Back to top Go down

So upset
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1