Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

behaviour problem help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4187

PostSubject: Re: behaviour problem help   Sun 06 Dec 2009, 5:48 pm

Kirstie i really think that you need to start off from scratch with his training like he was a baby puppy that you were training for the 1st time. so start with the sit, stay, wait, loose lead, recall etc.

To me it sounds like he has had next to no training and a trained and well behaved dog is a happy dog, he will look to you for advice and what to do next, both of mine are never on the lead when out in the fields obviously with daisy i get her infact i get both of them to come sit by me.

both of mine can pull at times but they have learned to walk on a loose lead if they pull we stop dead and wait until they come to my side then start again with heal, the minute i see another person or dog i call my two back to sit by me until i can access if we know them or not.

So yes to sum it up start from the beginning do alot of training with him with high level treats you will be very surpirised how quickly he will learn, daisy at nearly 5 months picks up a new move or trick with in 5 mins and thats not exaggerating they learn very quickly.
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1603

PostSubject: Re: behaviour problem help   Sun 06 Dec 2009, 5:53 pm

tyne just aint interested in treats wen we out i even buy chicken in n brak it up 4 wen we go out n hes just more interested in what he wants hes a very stubborn dog. walkin him is a fight in itself he has me nackered after 5 mins n thats just up our street. he sits n waits well wen we get to a road i say WAIT n he does no bother but as soon as u start to walk again he nearly pulls ur shoulder out of joint. my hubby has really had enuf and im not far behind hun, n im ashamed to say it but i am.
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 19490

PostSubject: Re: behaviour problem help   Sun 06 Dec 2009, 5:54 pm

have you tried a gentle leader hun ?
i had one for Buffy and they are brill and ive seen a few that have used them when they have had a puller
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: behaviour problem help   Sun 06 Dec 2009, 6:00 pm

no i havent hun we took him to the pet shop wen we 1st got him n asked in there n they said the best thing is a halti so we got that n he just fights it n if he wants 2 pull he just does even though it tightens round his nose he doesnt care he just has 2 go where he wants. wen he does this i make him sit n stay but he isnt gettin any better its not just this that bothers me hes in his cage now with door open n demi went to see him n he nearly ripped her face off i give in
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 7814

PostSubject: Re: behaviour problem help   Sun 06 Dec 2009, 6:06 pm

would you consider trying a treadmill i know loads that use them and i used to take suki running with me too untill i had to stop but when i can start again she will come out again same sort of thing but it really takes that agressive energy out of them and makes them far easier to deal with (not that suki every has been mind ) but runing is a good excercise for them i actually see a lot of staffies out this way with runners too they love it

if you used a treadmill before going out he would be calmer and more relaxed which in turn would make you chill more so you were happier and that would reflect in your handling making him relax more too

i firmly belive in castration for these issues i have seen lots of success helped by that

it was he first thing we did at the rescue anyway but with with the dog aggressive ones we saw a really good result from it

are you close enogh to matie to get her to actually show yu the ways she has told you as it could be something simple that is the key that she could see that you cant ?
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: behaviour problem help   Sun 06 Dec 2009, 6:18 pm

to be honest hun at the min im just 2 upset 2 think straight hes not long had a go at demi just 4 walkin past him in his open crate n hes had a bloody gud run 2day 2 on more than 1 occasion im beginnin 2 wonder if hes worth all this hasstle as b4 he came we had a happy home no fighting or anything now its a war zone n its just not fair on the others or us or even him
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: behaviour problem help   Sun 06 Dec 2009, 6:22 pm

kirstie hun my heart goes out to you it really does ,i wish there was more we could do to help you other than being a few words on a forum .
but what ever you decide hun no one will judge you and we will be here to give you all the help and support we can .
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: behaviour problem help   Sun 06 Dec 2009, 6:33 pm

thanks jo n thanks 2 every body for the support n help. its just at the min things r so up in the air i dont wanna make a rash decision but at the min its pointin to the vets which is something i wouldnt take lightly at all thats the last resort
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4187

PostSubject: Re: behaviour problem help   Sun 06 Dec 2009, 6:39 pm

I would advise castration too/
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: behaviour problem help   Sun 06 Dec 2009, 7:03 pm

hun dont rush into everything seep on it and look at it with a diff view without the stress of today fresh in your min

but ultimalty you need to do whats right for you your family and your other dogs as well as whats right for him too
i think in a home with someone who has had these problems before and knows how to address them may help him but dont rush in to it and dont feel bad for what ever choice you do make xx
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: behaviour problem help   Sun 06 Dec 2009, 7:12 pm

that why im tryin 2 get the hubby 2 wait a bit n c how he goes but ive been sayin that 4 6 month now n he says there shuld be sum improvement by now, weve taken on board everything mattie advised us and the more exercise thing did help a little but this brick wall as i described it to mattie just doesnt seem 2 b dissolving even in the slightest. its not just myself or tyne im thinkin about, but its my other dogs, whether they live with me or not as sum r my sisters and are here regularly. yes i could stop them from coming but why change their routine, its as if they no when they r comin n wait by their leads ready.
when mattie reads this she'l prob b angry at me for even thinkin about the vets, i no that i have to take some responsibility for this problem and i am im just fed up we try bein nice n stern with him and try our best n he just flings it back in our faces. as 4 neuterin mattie suggested that should b later after this problem is reduced as it can make him worse. its tyne im tryin 2 think of as hes such a lovin dog underneath, but wot if he goes 4 us? wen i got in touch with the previous owners they just shrugged it off sayin well hes just protectin his self as if it was ok behaviour
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: behaviour problem help   Sun 06 Dec 2009, 7:21 pm

i,ve never heard of a dog being made worse form castration and i,ve never seen it either but i dont thik he needs ptsing just yet

is there anyway you could get someone to see him and give you an opinion based on actually seeng him to tell if he has gone to far to be re habilitated or wether he could be helped some how ?

how far are you from where mattie is ? if you were near me i,d have offered to help you out but your miles away and i think sort of her way ?
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: behaviour problem help   Sun 06 Dec 2009, 7:27 pm

aww thanks angel, im not sure where mattie is is it yorkshire? i couldnt get to her as we sont have transport, im lookin into a training class near us, i'll have to speak to the organiser n c if they willin 2 take him on i must admit that ive been sayin that 4 a bit now but ive been tryin 2 sort it out on my own n with the advice from here but i think somethin needs doin profesionally, i just no that they'l judge me and say that its my fault hes like this but im just goin 2 have to bite the bullet as 2 say n go for tynes sake as we can see underneath the brovado its just reachin 2 it n bringin it out, hes got me exhausted to say the least
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: behaviour problem help   Sun 06 Dec 2009, 7:30 pm

if they blame then its the wrong class i would look in to one to one myself

its not that is not working but it could just be something that you cant see as its hard to go off the written word my thinking was if you could get attie to see him she could show you a few things that arent easily explained on here he had a bad time before you got him and he has now found his feet with you so his true colours will show as he tests you but we are all behind you hn what ever you decided
also what works with one dog wont always work with another so you may have to try a few ways to win this one hun
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: behaviour problem help   Sun 06 Dec 2009, 7:39 pm

i really cant say that his previous owners treat him wrong but my senses n his behaviour tell me this. like i say the vets is a last resort i want my lil nice friendly dog back like he was wen he arrived. must admit that only lasted a week but it was nice. now i feel like im hittin a brick wall with him n its not just me whos sufferin thru it my other dogs r 2. c my hubby aint as patient as i am with them but i must admit im loosin patience with him slowly and thats not me. i watch dog borstal n things like that for ideas but i dont use their methods like the sprinklin of water n that i just use my voice n 2 tell the truth im scared incase he goes 4 me as today he was great it looked like he was just playin for a few seconds but then he just went mad attackin thankfully no harm was done but it so easily could av been a different story. the dog class aint on till friday so i'l have to wait till then to call in and ask but i'l obviously wait till the end of the class as 2 not distrupt the others.
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: behaviour problem help   Mon 07 Dec 2009, 4:20 pm

well i can honestly say 2day has been a more relaxed day. bearin in mind he hasnt been 4 walk due 2 him strainin his leg yesta and he hasnt gone 4 demi 2day which has been great 4 her n even better 4 us as we think now we may be gettin sumwhere slowly, ive arranged to go 2 the dog class with my friend on friday to see if theyl take me n its only £2 per class which is even better than i thought. im feelin positive now rather than dissapointed more in myself than the dog, thank u for all ur support and advice lets hope 2day is the start of a new slate.
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: behaviour problem help   Mon 07 Dec 2009, 4:23 pm

Kirstie if he pulled his leg he could have been in pain ,
I posted on another thread earlir strangley enough to ask if you have had him checked over by the vet to see if he has any underlying problems that you may not be aware of , as sometimes this can cause a dog to be a little aggresive .
I ma glad you have had a better day today we have fingers and paws crossed here that you can sort Tyne out hun xx
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: behaviour problem help   Mon 07 Dec 2009, 4:32 pm

he's been agressive 4 weeks hun, im beginnin 2 think that its something we rnt doin ryt, ive mailed his previous owners to ask for advice as 2 how they treat him etc n guess wot.......aint herd dicky boo from them so much 4 them carein bout him. i did make sure he was ok b4 we took him out he was walkin fine runnin in fact he wasnt limping at all and let me look at it. and i must say that ive noticed wen hes behind me hes walkin fine just wen hes in front of me hes limping im wonderin if he no's hes in trouble n wants sympathy, must admit hes had some lol, hes walking fine now n ive checked it n he let me n usually with demi she wont let me touch what ever shes hurt n she licks at it constantly. ive rang vets n made an appointment bt not till friday, ive explained why im takin him n they were lovely bout it n said they would give him a good check over health wise, weigh him as if hes in pain he culd start 2 loose weight and advised a change of food just like mattie did but b4 i do that they will check him 1st so i'll keep yas posted n thanks again 4 everybodys help, uve all been great and i hope 1 day i can return the favour
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: behaviour problem help   Mon 07 Dec 2009, 4:36 pm

fingers crossed hun that the vet will help you out hun ,
what food are you feeding now ?
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: behaviour problem help   Mon 07 Dec 2009, 4:41 pm

hes still on the wagg as ive got a full sack of it as i buy it in bulk but once that nearly gone im gunna c the owner of pet shop as they gud with us n c what other they have that could help him, then ill mix it so that it's not a major change untill wagg gone then it's bye bye wagg! it used 2 be gud wen we 1st started gettin it but i guess they change it like they do everthing else am i goin 2 be doing ryt by mixin it or just change it totally?
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: behaviour problem help   Mon 07 Dec 2009, 4:47 pm

I have never used wagg so cannot coment really although I do no people who have and they have had no issues , but what suits one dog does not suit another ,
I fed bakers when I first had Buffy , it was only after being told about it that i decided change her even though the food didnt seem to effect her .
but with everything else it is trial and error
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: behaviour problem help   Mon 07 Dec 2009, 4:56 pm

ur right there we just at the min seem 2 be findin more errors lol but ive convinced myself we will get there!
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: behaviour problem help   Mon 07 Dec 2009, 5:06 pm

it seems like that now but hopefully everything will fall into place and you will think wow all that what we went through and look at him now lol
i really do hope it all works out for you hun xx
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: behaviour problem help   Mon 07 Dec 2009, 5:09 pm

our taz my staff x was a nytmare n we worked thru that he used 2 hate dogs wen he was out yet now we can let him off the lead around them n he dont bother them, pulled like a nutter so we got him a walkin harness that wen he pulls it tightened under his armpits, worked a treat but i dont no if they make it anymore bearin in mind hes 8 now i myt c if can get him 1 of them if i can as they great better than the halti
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: behaviour problem help   Mon 07 Dec 2009, 5:10 pm

you will get there but i doubt wagg is to blame tbh as i have said an awful lot use it inclucing me when i dont use raw and i would never ever use any other dry food ever its one of the est on the market dry food wise for its price as long as you dont use the working dog one or the beef based

but its possible he if finding it to high in protien for him although this would not cause aggression issues it would show in skin conditions hyperactivity and tummy problems but if it is suiting him not upsetting him then personally i wouldnt change it really as it really wont solve aggression issues

but you will def get there hun patience is the key as is being consistant etc :0)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: behaviour problem help   

Back to top Go down

behaviour problem help
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next