Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

We've hit a new low

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rockromantic
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 708

PostSubject: We've hit a new low   Sun 09 Oct 2011, 2:33 pm

with Buster, i'll be as truthful as i can, please be understanding, can't do another row on a forum over this when all i want is whats best for Buster.

I spoil Buster to much, and lately it's backfired.

he now growls if hes lay down and we want him to move (we tell him to move by sayin et down, or 'come on move', and even went to nip/bite my husband once as he went to sit down.

hes allowed on the bed, sofas, - bed is now stopped after him waking me up growlin, sofa is allowed up when told not when he wants and now we're using rewards more with him.

my question is when he does growls at me should i ignore him, say no?

kinda feeling whatever i do isn't rite :( he's perfect outside, on walks, at other peoples house :(
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 7814

PostSubject: Re: We've hit a new low   Sun 09 Oct 2011, 3:42 pm

well first off we dont do rows hun we are here to help not jusde :)

buster has basically become the boss this is not on at all untill he learns to behave again and that your are top dog do not let him on any furniture what so ever

if he gets up then growls when you say down ignore it and carry on the command in a strong you,ll do as your told voice

i personally wouldnt reward him with treats but a little fuss and a good boy when he does as he,s told

i have no problems with dogs being allowed on beds sofas etc but they have to know their place and that this behaviour will not be tolerated

once you have solved this issue then you can try allowing him on say the sofa when and only when you invite him up with you
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: We've hit a new low   Sun 09 Oct 2011, 6:47 pm

Dee's right on both counts, we don't judge and are here to help and secondly yep, he's ruling you not the other way round. Her advice is good, I'd take it.

Also how are you, you've not been on for a while spinner smile
Back to top Go down
rockromantic
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: We've hit a new low   Sun 09 Oct 2011, 6:48 pm

we've all fine im workin two jobs at the minute so im busy bee :) max's hips are a bit worse and vet has comfirmed my beautiful boy is now deaf :( x
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: We've hit a new low   Sun 09 Oct 2011, 7:11 pm

It's hard to be on the ball when you are so busy, I know it's not easy. Glad you are ok spinner smile
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31850

PostSubject: Re: We've hit a new low   Sun 09 Oct 2011, 7:21 pm

I think you need to reinstate some boundaries with Buster. Chloe on occasion will growl at Ian when he is trying to get her out of bed to come downstairs and I have to go up and sort it out.
Both my dogs know just by the tone of my voice when not to take the pee.

I am sure you will work through it and you have made a good start with restricting the bed and sofa.

Maybe do some obedience work with him, just little and often making him sit, down, wait etc?

Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 9711

PostSubject: Re: We've hit a new low   Sun 09 Oct 2011, 7:46 pm

good advice given
good luck hun x
Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: We've hit a new low   Sun 09 Oct 2011, 7:48 pm

I agree good advice given and good luck xxxxxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: We've hit a new low   Sun 09 Oct 2011, 8:44 pm

Boundaries are definetly a good idea.

On the plus side its only in the house so should be fairly easy to sort out, and you're already going in the right direction by stopping him getting up on the bed and calling the shots with the couch.

Maybe just simple things like having him wait for his dinner etc will help. xx

Back to top Go down
K999
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 1087

PostSubject: Re: We've hit a new low   Sun 09 Oct 2011, 9:21 pm

obviously this isn't a simple fix, there are several different minor ways you need to change in how you treat Buster but I think you know them by now.

in regards to the growling specifically...
growling is communication, it's a request to stop the intensity of your interaction with the dog, or stop it completely. If the communication works and you indeed do as the dog wanted then a lesson has been learnt; growling gets the human to do what I want. Therefore the chances of the dog employing the growling technique again is increased.

I get growled at quite a lot when working with troubled dogs at the rescue centre. How I deal with it is, I want to dog to recognise that I have awknowledged it's concern but I also want the dog to know that growling isn't the way to resolve things. Less aggressive communication would have been sufficient.
for instance, getting nervous/aggressive dogs out from the back of their kennels is a common place for me to get growled at;
the dog wants me to go away, I stop where I am, I don't go away, but I make myself less threatening - I'll not look it in the eyes, turn sideways, pretend to be occupied with something by my feet etc etc, basically ignore the dog. After a few minutes, the dog should have relaxed a bit so I can get a little bit closer. I might get growled at again, so I repeat the above. Eventually I can get so close to the dog it can sniff me and take it's time getting comfortable with me up close whilst ignore it and pose zero threat.
What has happened in regards to the growling is, the dog has learned that growling doesn't achieve what the dog wanted it to, and there is no need to worry about people approaching if they do it politely.

So in your situation, when Buster growls at you, don't retreat, stay where you are but ignore the dog completely so as not to accidently do something which may be interpreted as a threat. Maybe even sit on the floor facing away for a bit. Once the growling stops you can move away calmly (still ignoring) or work your way closer to the dog (as I described earlier). Oonce you are up close and Buster has relaxed, give him a fuss then give him an excited "C'mon then" and getsure for him to move. Hopefully he will. A little trick you can use here is once you are quite close, just drop a slip lead over his head and then simply lead him away to where you want him.
In regards to the "NO!" when he growls, I don't bother with words in these situation with dogs, body language and gestures will be all you need, sound on it's own is a pretty weak communication tool.
Back to top Go down
rockromantic
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: We've hit a new low   Sun 09 Oct 2011, 11:34 pm

wow everyone thanks for the advice! will take it all on board and sit and read out whats be written to the other half :D
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: We've hit a new low   Mon 10 Oct 2011, 4:37 pm

Can't add to the advice given but best of luck. I'm sure you will work through this. spinner smile

We had a growler but it was only ever a mild moan, never led to anything. Did scare me a bit first couple of times she did it though.

Back to top Go down
rockromantic
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: We've hit a new low   Tue 08 Nov 2011, 6:18 am

Just to update busters getting a bit better he has his own bed he's slowly getting used to he's been at the vets over a poorly leg and the vet fell in love with him!

Still growls whenever my partner strokes him though just sometimes but he growls sounds all nasty then jumps up to give him kisses :S

But there are improvements just think it takes time really but wanted to thank you all for the advice and for helping both me and my partner and of course Buster :)
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: We've hit a new low   Tue 08 Nov 2011, 6:30 am

Glad you are seeing some improvements Saz, how is is leg?

Back to top Go down
rockromantic
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: We've hit a new low   Tue 08 Nov 2011, 6:43 am

Staffylover wrote:
Glad you are seeing some improvements Saz, how is is leg?

It's much better he pulled a muscle so was told to rest which is like telling a child not to touch the toy box with all the amazing toys inside soon as he came back he was diving and stumbling around with his toys climbing all over George like a lunatic!

Max is slowly getting worse and is having bladder problems and toilEting a lot lately :( my poor old man
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: We've hit a new low   Tue 08 Nov 2011, 7:38 am

Making way then, that's good. His leg will soon be ok spinner smile
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: We've hit a new low   Tue 08 Nov 2011, 6:14 pm

Aww poor Max, its hard watching them old isn't it

Back to top Go down
rockromantic
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: We've hit a new low   Tue 08 Nov 2011, 8:13 pm

Staffylover wrote:
Aww poor Max, its hard watching them old isn't it

It's awful :( he can't walk for now we talk him on field just of curzon road for 10 minutes then he's asleep curled on sofa till he wants food or toilet :( but we were told 12 is s brilliant age for a dobe although to be honest I can see this being his last Christmas :( so he's getting spoilt rotten thinking of taking him somewhere different a different park in Ashton or something just for a nice walk and take loads of pictures and hopefully meet some new friends for him :D
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: We've hit a new low   Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:55 pm

Apart from King Georges and Stamford I am not sure of any others in walking distance for you?

Chloe is pretty much the same, she has a run on the field and is shattered for the rest of the day

Back to top Go down
rockromantic
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: We've hit a new low   Tue 08 Nov 2011, 11:01 pm

Was thinking daisy nook never been there before :)
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: We've hit a new low   Wed 09 Nov 2011, 6:39 am

Oh yeah forgot about that place. I have never been either, you will have to let me know what you think about it if you go

Back to top Go down
rockromantic
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: We've hit a new low   Wed 09 Nov 2011, 2:13 pm

Awww you coming to? The dogs would love it! Will deffo let you know I'll fetch buster aswell :D
Back to top Go down
rockromantic
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: We've hit a new low   Wed 09 Nov 2011, 2:15 pm

I read your message wrong! Damn eyes and iPhone! Thought you. Said let me know when you go meaning you'd come :p
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: We've hit a new low   Wed 09 Nov 2011, 5:35 pm

I am more than happy to come, I work full time though so it would have to be over a weekend x

Back to top Go down
rockromantic
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: We've hit a new low   Wed 09 Nov 2011, 6:19 pm

That would be fab! I'll keep an eye on weather forecasts and try and get a nice day, the rain appalls buster!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We've hit a new low   

Back to top Go down

We've hit a new low
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Staffiezone :: Dog Chat, Help and Advice :: General or Random Staffie, Bullie and Dog Chat :: Training & Behaviour-
Jump to: