Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Traffic shy?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Traffic shy?   Wed 12 Oct 2011, 7:01 pm

Has anyone ever had problems with their dogs being traffic shy?

Indie is 5 months now and still isn't keen on the noise of cars, she shies away and seems to shut down, I have tried bribing her with treats and squeaky toys but she just stays focused on the cars, and its difficult to get her to move until they are past.

I tend to walk her on a fleece harness normally, but walked her on a collar today and just felt as if I was pulling her along.

She is better when I have her with the boys or Lola and not quite as bad.

This is the only issue we have with her as otherwise shes a great wee dog.

Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 15687

PostSubject: Re: Traffic shy?   Wed 12 Oct 2011, 7:09 pm

Yes, Raffi is scared of the cars and traffic passing by.

He walks absolutely fine unless we are on a road or in a car park and a car starts up. It is purely the noise of the engine or a moving car, not the door slamming or anything.

I am just taking him out more in those situations and saying "car" every time and trying to distract him with "watch me". He is more calm when Kassi is with him but nowhere near confident.

Raffi has been like this since day one.

Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23377

PostSubject: Re: Traffic shy?   Wed 12 Oct 2011, 7:47 pm

My boys were like this especially when younger with on coming traffic at dusk -

They did grow out of it as they became older and more confident - lets hope Indie does too - hugs xxxx

The boys still dont like windy days cos it blows on their bum x
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31854

PostSubject: Re: Traffic shy?   Wed 12 Oct 2011, 7:59 pm

Have you thought about sitting a distance away from the road and watching the traffic go by? I did this for a period with Reuben, I would sit away from the main road and get him relaxed, give him a massage and then a bit of obedience work to distract him from the noise.

You could do this with Indie and as she gets more comfortable with the noise move nearer to the road?

Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: Traffic shy?   Wed 12 Oct 2011, 10:19 pm

Thanks for your suggestions, I think i'll have to try the sitting near a road see if i can calm her, I haven't taught her 'watch me' yet but once I get her a bit more confident I will give it a try.

It's the same as Raffi, just the engine noises, shes even worse with larger vehicles.

I just think its weird with her as shes quite a confident wee dog in every other situation x

Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 15687

PostSubject: Re: Traffic shy?   Thu 13 Oct 2011, 12:01 am

xclairex1 wrote:

I just think its weird with her as shes quite a confident wee dog in every other situation x

Yup Raffi exactly the same, nothing bothers him at all, fireworks, thunder, large dogs anything, but car engines are a no no. It is weird because he has never been exposed to a car or had a bad experience and yet if he was an adult rescue I coudl understand someone thinking something had happened to make him that way.

I have sat in a car park at a beauty spot and watched cars coming and going and he does not like it and yet we walked through the bikers and they were revving up and he did not seem too bothered by them.

The first time he was put in a car was when I went to collect him - is that the same for Indie?

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Traffic shy?   Thu 13 Oct 2011, 12:21 pm

Elsdon was the same when we first got him but we did the same, sat by a busy road and chilled out and he soon came round but then that's typical Elsdon spinner smile

Can you buy specific CD's with car noises on them? You could may be play it low at home?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Traffic shy?   

Back to top Go down

Traffic shy?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1