Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Advice Please

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Elemental
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Male
Number of posts : 129

PostSubject: Advice Please   Wed 23 Nov 2011, 8:42 am

Hey all need some advice.

What's everyone's take on crate training Sky? At the moment she's never been in a crate and being the only dog in the house she has the run of the kitchen when we aren't in or go to bed and we have no issues at all with this.

However we do want to get a second stafford when we find the right one to match Sky's personallity plus she doesn't travel well she is terrified of the car bless her she will get in no problem but will only curl up on the floor, hide her head under a seat and for a while shake nervously :(

What's everyone's thoughts on trying a crate with her?
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: Advice Please   Wed 23 Nov 2011, 10:49 am

It's good to have your dog crate trained - even with one dog it's always handy to know you have a secure special place for them in the event of an emergency or travel or staying somewhere overnight. Or if unfortunately they ever experience an injury where they need strict rest. Car crates are great for nervous travellers too.

Because you would be doing it by choice you can spend all the time you need to introduce a crate gradually over time and make it her special place. Quite often ours will sleep in theirs by choice with the door open.

If you have a second staffy crates can sometimes be a necessity if you have to leave them home alone and can't seperate in rooms for whatever reason

Never sure how much anyone on the forum already knows but for info - Jo ( staffylover) did a great post on crate training which will show you what's involved if you need more info

http://staffiezone.boardonly.com/t3186-crate-training?highlight=crate
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: Advice Please   Wed 23 Nov 2011, 10:52 am

If dhe's fine in the house I wouldn't be too bothered about crating in the house.

Although a crate for the car might help with her nervousness, I would get a fairly small one just big enough for her as it might help her feel more secure. You could also leave the crate in the house for a couple of days and keep putting her toys/ treats in it so it becomes a good thing.

I leave my dogs in the house toggether when I'm out only sometimes crating my youngest who is 6months old.
But if you're worried I would crate train any new pup and leave sky in the kitchen as you have been doing.

Back to top Go down
nikki
Silver Forum Member
Silver Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 356

PostSubject: Re: Advice Please   Wed 23 Nov 2011, 11:50 am

All 3 are mine are crate trained and they love their crates!

x
Back to top Go down
Elemental
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Male

PostSubject: Re: Advice Please   Wed 23 Nov 2011, 12:33 pm

Cool def gonna try a crate for the car bless her she gets herself so worked up anything that helps her stay calm I'll do it!! Think I'll crate train her anyway at home at least then it won't be a rush if we get a second staff and they need sepperating unfortunately we have 2 cats so just to be safe we don't leave them out together when we aren't there knowing sky she would sit on them by mistake as she has no manners lol
Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: Advice Please   Wed 23 Nov 2011, 4:35 pm

Cassie is crate trained and she loves her crate, I dont use it very often, but I know she is happy in it if needed, its always up in the kitchen with her blankets and sleeping bag in and often she just goes in by herself with the door open.
Back to top Go down
getcarter
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2019

PostSubject: Re: Advice Please   Wed 23 Nov 2011, 4:54 pm

Mine are all crate trained, try to make the crate a special place just for her, mine often go in for a break from the general melee, sometimes I think they'd shut and lock the door too!

Try feeding in there to get her used to it (leave the door open).
Back to top Go down
K999
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 1087

PostSubject: Re: Advice Please   Wed 23 Nov 2011, 7:24 pm

When we first took her on, the only place my Mizzie could relax and de-stress was in her crate.
They can be invaluable if they are introduced properly.
When my friends bring their toddlers round I can put miz in her crate and she'll either nod off or just lie there and watch the odd little people.

Miz still often chooses to take a nap in there.
Back to top Go down
Elemental
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Male

PostSubject: Re: Advice Please   Wed 23 Nov 2011, 7:31 pm

Deffinately thinking of introducing a crate even if it only gets used for traveling/hols
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23371

PostSubject: Re: Advice Please   Wed 23 Nov 2011, 8:32 pm

I am all for crates too - both my boys were crated too - BUT please ensure you get some professional sound advice on crate training ie ADAM as they must NEVER be used as punishment or when been told off - they need to be seen as a safe haven - ie bedroom some where poochies like to go

You feel assured sky is safe and sky will hopefully love her little bedroom lol xx
Back to top Go down
getcarter
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2019

PostSubject: Re: Advice Please   Wed 23 Nov 2011, 8:38 pm

What about a thundershirt for her car anxiety?
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 9711

PostSubject: Re: Advice Please   Wed 23 Nov 2011, 9:06 pm

we got a crate for when dell had his C.L.
and he loves it, its his private place for peace and quiet
his cosy hiddy hole
where he goes when we /brock gets on his nerves or he needs to sulk
i would highly recommend one
Back to top Go down
Cassieloomismyers
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1159

PostSubject: Re: Advice Please   Wed 23 Nov 2011, 10:27 pm

crates are a god send in a multiple stafford household and like many have already said, when used properly the dogs end up loving them, I leave the doors open during the night but they always are curled up in their own by morning. I lock the crates when they are left unsupervised and we are out of the house.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice Please   

Back to top Go down

Advice Please
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1