Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Dog ettiquette

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31850

PostSubject: Dog ettiquette   Sat 18 Feb 2012, 9:55 am

What do you do when you are out with your dogs and you meet other dogs either on or off lead?

Do you allow your dogs to run over and 'greet' them regardless of whether the other dog is on lead or not? Do you always put your dog on lead when you see other dogs in the distance? Do you allow your dogs to greet dogs they know?

Interested to see what everyones views are on this based on a discussion I have been part of on FB

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Dog ettiquette   Sat 18 Feb 2012, 10:03 am

I prefer them to meet on lead and then once introductions have been made let them off together as that way you know they are going to get on with one another. I'd hate it if someone's dog just ran up to them whilst they are on lead, it gets Ruby's back up and mine spinner smile

If they are already off lead and we come across other dogs and tails are wagging I'm quite happy for them to carry on though. Mind you I think I know most people's dogs up on the playing fields so am comfortable with them meeting off lead. One or two I avoid.
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 9711

PostSubject: Re: Dog ettiquette   Sat 18 Feb 2012, 10:13 am

we always, always put on the lead unless the other dog is a "friend " of his
very bad manners not to and i have to tell them when they don't do it
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: Dog ettiquette   Sat 18 Feb 2012, 10:56 am

I never let my dogs run upto other dogs. If I have the three oldest I put kai on lead when I see other dogs approach and leave the other two off.

I put kai on lead as he can be nervous and doesn't appreciate unknown dogs coming up. I leave the other two as they don't bother (and Diesel is better off lead anyway) I know that they will both stick by me and pay no attention whatsoever to anyone else or their dog.

If I just have kai ill not put him on lead but make sure I have his attention.

However I don't think anyone should allow their dogs to approach other dogs whether they are on or off lead.and it really p***** me off when others allow their dogs to approach mine!

Last edited by xclairex1 on Sat 18 Feb 2012, 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 9711

PostSubject: Re: Dog ettiquette   Sat 18 Feb 2012, 11:14 am

i remember when we had stella and she would fly into a panic when a dog came anywhere near her
stupid woman couldn't understand that even though i told her
i had to argue with her when she let her dulux dog jump all over stella until she bit it
she still doesn't get it, as she tries to talk now
ignorant posh know it all Censored
Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: Dog ettiquette   Sat 18 Feb 2012, 11:32 am

I always put Cassie on a lead. however other people dont do this and they always allow their dogs to run up to Cassie, she luckily is always very good about this, I however am not, as some of them really get into Cassie,s face and this really p***s me off
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: Dog ettiquette   Sat 18 Feb 2012, 11:39 am

Always put mine back on the lead if they are off and expect the other owners to do the same, if they don't I get really p'd off and will tell them so.

I think you should put your dog on a lead if you don't know the other dog you should always be in control of the meeting not the dogs plus it's rude and dangerous to let your dog bother other people and their dogs.
Back to top Go down
K999
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 1087

PostSubject: Re: Dog ettiquette   Sat 18 Feb 2012, 1:45 pm

I'll typically read the other dog's approach and gauge from that how polite they are. If they are good I'll let Miz meet them, if they are short on manners but aren't expecting trouble, I'll meet them first then let Miz. But if I think they look nervous/unconfident or confrontational, I'd keep them from meeting Miz.
I've also no got problem shouting to others owners to get their dog back on lead, (my usual explanation is "cheers, my dog doesn't like bad manners in other dogs (nodding towards theirs) so it's best you call yours back as opposed to leaving it to my dog to be the teacher").
Back to top Go down
Jakethedog
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 3702

PostSubject: Re: Dog ettiquette   Sat 18 Feb 2012, 2:04 pm

Most of the time I'll lead Alfie up Jo but if I see the owners are toss pots and think its ok for them to just let their dogs just run up to other peoples dogs I'll always unhook Alfie so he can stand his ground just incase of trouble ,if iv already got Alfie on his lead & they apear out of no where I'll defo tell em to lead the dog up &?tend to let them both (dog & owner )know I'm not happy about the situation ,

I believe its just good manners to lead your dog up
Back to top Go down
getcarter
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2019

PostSubject: Re: Dog ettiquette   Sat 18 Feb 2012, 2:09 pm

I prefer them to met strange dogs on leads, sometimes even if I see familiar dogs they go on to stop the pack explosion of excitement you sometimes get!

When they have met dogs and are all calm I let the dogs off gradually.
Back to top Go down
jakies13
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 7512

PostSubject: Re: Dog ettiquette   Sat 18 Feb 2012, 3:37 pm

Always put mine on lead as there are alot of prats around here who dont have a clue!

Back to top Go down
magickef
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 561

PostSubject: Re: Dog ettiquette   Sat 18 Feb 2012, 4:19 pm

Always put Tino back on lead untill i know he is going to be ok with other dog as he can be a bit grumpy with other dogs he doesnt know.
Back to top Go down
Cassieloomismyers
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1159

PostSubject: Re: Dog ettiquette   Sat 18 Feb 2012, 4:32 pm

Always lead mine when i see people coming, some lead theirs some don't and its very annoying when others don't. We were on the big field the other day playing Kong throwing and this Dulux dog came strolling over whilst its owner just looked at us and carried on walking! I couldn't get Myers on lead in time before loomisspotted it and greeted it with a waggy tail and a kiss, however Myers weren't having any of that and body slammed the dog and bit its neck! It ran off and Myers went back on lead the other owner was now right round the path and out of sight and all could have been prevented had she taken control of her dog! Letting your dog run around a field while you stay on the outer path is both irresponsible and lazy!
Back to top Go down
getcarter
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2019

PostSubject: Re: Dog ettiquette   Sat 18 Feb 2012, 6:34 pm

So many people at the woods today! Dogs were on, off, on, off....
Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dog ettiquette   Sat 18 Feb 2012, 7:24 pm

Adam how do you stop the dogs approaching your dog? do you body block? cassie is so good with other dogs but sometimes other dogs come into her face and I feel they intimidate her which I hate, maybe its just me and she is okay with this whole proccess bit I dont think so
Back to top Go down
K999
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 1087

PostSubject: Re: Dog ettiquette   Sat 18 Feb 2012, 9:04 pm

Hi Allie,
I kind of intercept/body block, basically I make sure the dog reachs me before Miz.
It helps alot that Miz trots next to me so if a dog appears I simply step across her so she's behind me. Normally when I dog approaches they are fixed on Miz so now I'm in the way they have to deal with me first. usually I'll crouch down in front of Miz facing the strange dog, stretch out my arm so the dog can sniff my hand (or I can hold it back until it relaxes a bit more). I'll generally then stroke the dog a bit calming the dog and then move back a bit and let the two dogs meet. By now both dogs are calm so the meeting is easy, I've done the risky bit by greeting and making contact with the unknown quantity.
If the dog is a bit more iffy I will still step in front of Miz and maybe stamp a foot to halt it's approach, shout at it or even take a quick step or two towards it (bit like a lunge) anything to get it's focus off Miz and onto me. Once the dog is looking at me not Miz I will stand my ground until it relaxes or leaves. If it relaxes I will do the greeting routine.
In a very worst case scenario I might use the bottom of my foot to keep a dog back.
Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dog ettiquette   Sun 19 Feb 2012, 11:05 am

Thankyou Adam
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dog ettiquette   

Back to top Go down