Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Training methods

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31845

PostSubject: Training methods   Sun 18 Mar 2012, 9:04 am

What training methods do you use?

I have been reading about people who are using the following as methods of 'training' their dogs:

Squirting water
Air canisters
Bottles with Pebbles
Shock collars
Leg tap

What do you use and what do you think of the above methods, is there a place for them in 'training'?

Back to top Go down
Toni
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 5585

PostSubject: Re: Training methods   Sun 18 Mar 2012, 9:07 am

I used none of them, I used treats with Buddy. I think reward based training is gunna stick more than the above methods. So toys/Treats way for me. yes
Back to top Go down
nikki
Silver Forum Member
Silver Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 356

PostSubject: Re: Training methods   Sun 18 Mar 2012, 9:34 am

I clicker train...positive re-enforcement for my guys only!

I am sure if someone else had Deano they would be using shock collars and all sorts...

x
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 9711

PostSubject: Re: Training methods   Sun 18 Mar 2012, 9:49 am

we used treats at first
but we use voice commands mainly now
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: Training methods   Sun 18 Mar 2012, 10:24 am

Mostly just voice with the odd treat.

Tried clicker for a while with Bailey - it did work and some of it has stayed with him but he seemed to grow immune to it after a while - he's not very food orientated so he wasn't bothered.

Did use water for one of mine with a serious and dangerous habit of cat chasing. Not the greatest training method but it worked and it worked quickly.

Last edited by wids on Mon 19 Mar 2012, 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 635

PostSubject: Re: Training methods   Sun 18 Mar 2012, 10:41 am

We use positive reinforcement only with DB - he actually responds quite well to the clicker, too. Mind you, once he gets excited he's not the least bit interested in treats.

The trainer we worked with gave us an air cannister to use as a distraction when he lunges at other dogs, but we have decided not to use it - we don't want to scare him or the other dog.

I've never used punishment - other than 'no', 'ah ah', 'bad dog' etc - with any of my dogs.

Also, I'm now trying Adam's advice about DB's behaviour towards other dogs. I think it might take a while, but that's because of my ineptitude, not DB's. He's actually quite bright (apart from when he's being breathtakingly stupid! lol! ) but I need to be quicker sometimes - I've missed a couple of opportunities to disagree with his behaviour. banghead

Nikki - I know excatly what you mean - DB is, er, 'boisterous' (kind word!!) & I think a lot of people would be inclined to use harsher methods - or perhaps not bother to train him properly at all.

Then I start thinking that he would have been better off with somebody who is much better at training excitable dogs...
Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: Training methods   Sun 18 Mar 2012, 11:26 am

Voice commands and treats here, positive reenforcement has always worked with Cassie.

however my friend has used the squirty water and it worked for her.

I really hate the idea of shock collars
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Training methods   Sun 18 Mar 2012, 3:52 pm

Have used and am still using on a clicker on occasions, treats and have reverted back to my tin with pebbles in to get Elsdon's attention recently, especially when he is in "chase" mode or not listening.

In training we use treats and praise only.
Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Training methods   Sun 18 Mar 2012, 3:58 pm

I saw your suggestion about the tin in the 'hints & tips' section, Jan - think I might try that with DB - he is very focused when he is in chase mode & I wonder if a rattly tin will catch his attention better than me yelling at him like an idiot? I've gone hoarse a couple of times - which isn't good when I have to talk to classrooms full of teenagers for a living... lol
Back to top Go down
K999
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 1087

PostSubject: Re: Training methods   Sun 18 Mar 2012, 9:56 pm

I use body language then later sound when training.
I never got into using gadgets or different equipment simply because I'd probably forget them, or lose them. Then I worked out I didn't need them anyway. Items designed to shock (loud noises, water, sharp touches etc) are risky as you might simply supress the problem as opposed to fix it. With many of the cases I deal with this risk is far too high.
For instance, if wehn working with an aggression case I use a water pistol, or water ballon, I might simply make the dog to scared to show aggression. The problem the dog still feels it needs to show aggression but is now more scared of me if it does, then, when either I'm out of water or (worst case) we think the dog is 'fixed' and somebody else take the dog out the aggressive behaviour could re-emerge x10.
I don't want my dogs to behave a certain way just because I say so, I want my dog to behave because the dog has learnt this is the correct/polite/well mannered thing to do. Like you would with you kids.
That way I can trust her around anybody and with anybody.

To make a dog do something it has to be a positive experience (treats, clickers, praise, toys, fuss etc)!
To make a dog NOT do something, you have to remove all emotion from it(no excitement, fear, panic, aggression, etc from the dog or you), show you won't allow it EVER (calmly block the behaviour before it spirals out of control), then replace it (positively) with a desired or acceptable behaviour.
That's my behavioural work in a nutshell that is.
Back to top Go down
Namadaja
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female
Number of posts : 118

PostSubject: Re: Training methods   Sun 18 Mar 2012, 10:37 pm

I use treats, clicker and praise. Always praise and I tend to swap around with treats and clicker so that Rosy doesn't get bored or just expect to always be fed something yummy when she sits, waits, stays, leaves it etc. It seems to work really well and she now really responds to fuss and praise, when she first arrived she wasn't too bothered by it.
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Training methods   Mon 19 Mar 2012, 1:26 pm

tifla wrote:
I saw your suggestion about the tin in the 'hints & tips' section, Jan - think I might try that with DB - he is very focused when he is in chase mode & I wonder if a rattly tin will catch his attention better than me yelling at him like an idiot? I've gone hoarse a couple of times - which isn't good when I have to talk to classrooms full of teenagers for a living... lol

Having read through Adam's reponse, I think he's quite right. I also think I've been coming to the conclusion recently that I would prefer Elsdon to stop doing something I disagree with out of choice rather than because I've shaken the tin at him. I wouldn't encourage you to use a tin of pebbles on your own dog unless you had an experienced trainer there as well as this is how we started it for Elsdon.

I nearly started rambling on further about Elsdon but then I stopped myself spinner smile
Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Training methods   Mon 19 Mar 2012, 1:48 pm

Thanks - will avoid the pebbles!

Please ramble on about Elsdon - the more advice & info the better, from my point of view. Bertie's so lovely but I worry that I'm letting him down in some way & that other people who see him reacting to dogs dismiss him as yet another temperamental staffie cross... :(

Other people's opinions do matter to me, not because I want people to think I'm good at training dogs, but because I love staffies & hate to think that I'm causing other people to think negatively of them because I haven't managed to resolve Bertie's issues around other dogs - yet.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31845

PostSubject: Re: Training methods   Mon 19 Mar 2012, 3:13 pm

Hi Sue

One thing I will say is please try not to worry or dwell on what other people think. People tend to make their own judgement based on whatever they see in papers and hear, you may have the best trained dog in the world but they wont see it.

All that matters is Bertie and your family x

Back to top Go down
K999
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 1087

PostSubject: Re: Training methods   Mon 19 Mar 2012, 5:16 pm

Jo's right,
I get people ignoring the actual dog yet (incorrectly) telling me all about the 'breed'. I'll be there with 2 rottweilers, they will be stroking them whilst informing me how aggressive Rottweilers are to other dogs and people!
I have no problem with people walking difficult dogs as long as they are trying to sort the dog out, it's the ones who don't bother, or don't even realise their dog is a menace that frustrate me.

Just keep up the good work trying to help Bertie relax. It's a learning curve for both of you don't forget!
Back to top Go down
babypink
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1830

PostSubject: Re: Training methods   Tue 20 Mar 2012, 8:17 pm

A bit of clicker, target and treats, keeps the interest for Georgie and she does ok with it. Also help using other dogs for anxiety etc
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Training methods   

Back to top Go down

Training methods
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1