Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Poorly Rosy :(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: Poorly Rosy :(   Wed 28 Mar 2012, 6:14 pm

Did you ring them or take her in? I am just concerned that if she has smelly gunk and it is bothering her then it does sound like an infection.

Hopefully by cleaning it out and with the metacam it will settle down in a coupe of days

Big hugs to Rosy

Back to top Go down
Namadaja
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female
Number of posts : 118

PostSubject: Re: Poorly Rosy :(   Fri 30 Mar 2012, 4:37 pm

Have now got Canaural ear drops to use twice a day.

I'm feeling a bit grumpy and I'm thinking I will see a different vet next time. Vet seemed more interested in questioning me about why I got a staffie and where I got her than what the actual problem was. She kept questioning me about her not being spayed (being spayed under adoption contract, her season only finished 19th feb so its way too soon). In her report the vet said the ear was clear, no disease, just a bit inflamed. No idea why she didn't mention all the browny red gunk?!

I want my poor girly to feel better, wish I had a magic wand :(
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: Poorly Rosy :(   Fri 30 Mar 2012, 6:14 pm

Not a very positive visit. Maybe you would be better seeing another vet - I agree with neutering 100% but it it's your choice not your vets !!! You've already shown that you are a responsible caring owner taking her in to check her ears, your vet sounds like they could have been a little more positive in their attitude.

Hope the ear drops help her and she's soon feeling better. You've done everything right - ears can be a bit iffy and whiffy to deal with sometimes. group hug
Back to top Go down
Namadaja
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Poorly Rosy :(   Fri 30 Mar 2012, 7:03 pm

Thanks Liz, I'm with you on neutering, always had cats and always had them sorted as there are enough cats out there awaiting a home without potentially adding to it. I have had first hand experience of a dog with pyometra and never ever ever will I or a dog of mine go through that again (breeder against neutering and with hindsight I should have looked into it, wont make that mistake again). Also, as with the cats, against having pups as there are enough dogs out there awaiting homes.

Its a shame that Rosy came into season early as she was already booked to go in, sneaky monkey lol. We have had this spay booked since the day we collected her - 18th May and she will not be mucking this one around!
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Poorly Rosy :(   Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:21 am

Glad you have got some drops now, hopefully her ear will clear up in no time

Back to top Go down
Namadaja
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Poorly Rosy :(   Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:30 am

Any tips on getting the drops in?! Currently a 2 person job and then only just. One of us has to pin her down or she goes mad :(
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Poorly Rosy :(   Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:33 am

How about a treat in one hand to distract whilst you put the drops in? Have her nibbling on the treat as you administer them

Back to top Go down
Namadaja
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Poorly Rosy :(   Sat 31 Mar 2012, 9:36 am

Hehe will give it a go, you would think we were trying to pull her ears OFF with all the palaver!
Back to top Go down
Namadaja
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Poorly Rosy :(   Sat 31 Mar 2012, 10:03 am

Oh bless her, I get the water ready and the cotton pads out and she tries to hide at the back of her crate! Well, all cleaned up again and managed the drops on my own yaya! I lined the treats up on the sofa where she could see them, sat her between my legs and every so often I fed her a cheesy treat lol. She seemed happy with the pay off! Going out for a walk in a mo to take her mind off the squelchy ear lol.

Well, so far so good I think, less trying to scratch her ear and waaaaay less head shaking. She is now holding both ears up too :)
Back to top Go down
Namadaja
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Poorly Rosy :(   Sun 01 Apr 2012, 11:00 pm

Hooray for Canaural! Hooray for being bossy with the vet! Boo to being fobbed off with Metacam! Lol

Happy Rosy - Happy ear - Happy Mummy!
Back to top Go down
Namadaja
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Poorly Rosy :(   Sun 01 Apr 2012, 11:03 pm

Staffylover wrote:
How about a treat in one hand to distract whilst you put the drops in? Have her nibbling on the treat as you administer them

I lined up treats along the sofa, she is putty in my hands! So busy keeping an eye out and willing them towards her that she just lets me get on with it yes
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Poorly Rosy :(   Mon 02 Apr 2012, 6:15 am

Good news, glad it is getting better

Back to top Go down
getcarter
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member