Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Wake up call - running with sticks!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Wake up call - running with sticks!   Sun 01 Apr 2012, 3:38 pm

I was out today with Enzo up the hill when he started running and picked up a big stick/branch. I took a pic and then he let out a very loud yelp! He had obviously got it caught on the ground and it spiked him in the mouth. He is fine though. There was no blood on the stick and he carried on trying to run with it straight away but I shouted leave and took it off him. It could of been so much worse he was very lucky.

People on here have warned me before and I've read the horror stories where it's actually pierced right through their mouth and killed them. We were in the middle of no where too, miles away from help if we needed it.

I had a tennis ball with me in my bag so I got that out instead but he wasn't interested in it lol

Big wake up call we were lucky this time.....
Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 635

PostSubject: Re: Wake up call - running with sticks!   Sun 01 Apr 2012, 3:58 pm

That's really, really scary! I'm so glad you're both ok. A friends border collie managed to get a piece of stuck lodged somewhere in his nasal cavity - but he made a speedy recovery.

We got Midge a Gumgum bar but she wasn't interested in it - she would chase a ball but as soon as she saw a stick or stone she would abandon the ball. Bertie likes sticks but loves stones - which bring a different set of dangers.
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: Wake up call - running with sticks!   Sun 01 Apr 2012, 4:36 pm

The main thing is that Enzo is OK group hug

It is so frightening when they do something like that, but we all know how much they like to pick up sticks and bits of wood. You need eyes in the back of your head sometimes.

Thanks for posting this Sel - it never hurts to remind ourselves about these things.
Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Wake up call - running with sticks!   Sun 01 Apr 2012, 5:12 pm

Yeah was scary but he yelped and then carried on as normal.

Definitely worth reminding everyone. You always think it won't happen to you....
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23449

PostSubject: Re: Wake up call - running with sticks!   Sun 01 Apr 2012, 5:39 pm

Ohhhhhhhh def worth reminding everyone hun and thank goodness Enzo is no worse off for his stick ordeal - poor little Enzo - you're right though hun you do tend to put it to the back of your mind x
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: Wake up call - running with sticks!   Sun 01 Apr 2012, 6:24 pm

Lucky Enzo, have heard some horror stories with sticks. Would he play with a plastic stick?

Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Wake up call - running with sticks!   Sun 01 Apr 2012, 8:13 pm

This was seconds before he yelped. I can't see how it went into his mouth maybe it hit his side? No idea but he didn't like it
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: Wake up call - running with sticks!   Sun 01 Apr 2012, 9:11 pm

Maybe it splintered and it was only a small shard that caught him?

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Wake up call - running with sticks!   Sun 01 Apr 2012, 10:22 pm

I've got some rubber ones for Ruby and Elsdon but as you can see from the walk in Skipton Woods her main love is for real ones. Luckily she likes really big sticks so I can keep my eye on them. When I think they are too small or dangerous I stop her from playing with them. It's always in the back of my head what could happen if she got one stuck in her mouth or it injured her.

I get them from Amazon, if you search for Bamboo sticks it should bring it up, they are about £5, postage is on top. They are well worth it.
Back to top Go down
Namadaja
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female
Number of posts : 118

PostSubject: Re: Wake up call - running with sticks!   Sun 01 Apr 2012, 11:25 pm

I won't let Rosy have sticks, everyone looks at me like I've grown an extra head when I take them from her and they always say 'Shes a dog, they are meant to have sticks!' Doh! Its a shame they splinter though as they do love them! Rosy likes a nice stick to settle down with and crunch up into pieces - yikes!!! I have to be eagle eyes when shes in the garden, she seems to find random bits of wood when I can't!

Glad Enzo is ok, hope you are too xxx
Back to top Go down
jakies13
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 7512

PostSubject: Re: Wake up call - running with sticks!   Mon 02 Apr 2012, 9:02 pm

Awww poor boy, glad he is ok.
Mine are exactly the same and I have to distract em with something different!

Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: Wake up call - running with sticks!   Mon 02 Apr 2012, 10:22 pm

You should get him a safestix. kong are also bringing one out very shortly x

Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Wake up call - running with sticks!   Mon 02 Apr 2012, 10:32 pm

I've looked into safestix before but I don't think he will like it because it's rubbery and he isn't interested in anything like that.

He likes that they fall apart and he can chew it I think.
Back to top Go down
Toni
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 5585

PostSubject: Re: Wake up call - running with sticks!   Wed 04 Apr 2012, 12:07 pm

Heard about this alot, hence the reason I allow mine only longer sticks and make sure they carry them with the ends out either side. If either pick up a stick with the end in their mouths, I take it off them.

You said there was no blood on the stick, could he of stood on something that made him yelp? He hasnt really got the end in his mouth on that pic.
Back to top Go down
Namadaja
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female
Number of posts : 118

PostSubject: Re: Wake up call - running with sticks!   Wed 04 Apr 2012, 4:44 pm

I do love that pic so much :)

I wonder if the end of it whacked the ground and caused the edge of the stick next to his cheek to bash him in the cheek? Its quite close, and dogs can yelp when something shocks them. Rosy yelped the other day when she walked past a cat, the cat reacted and she yelped as she jumped because she wasn't aware it was even close by lol. I told her she was a pansy lol.
Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Wake up call - running with sticks!   Wed 04 Apr 2012, 8:31 pm

Yeah I think something like that probably happened. It may have been shock as he wasn't injured. Bless him
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wake up call - running with sticks!   

Back to top Go down

Wake up call - running with sticks!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1