Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Horse trouble

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
K999
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 1087

PostSubject: Horse trouble   Sun 01 Apr 2012, 4:48 pm

Mizz, Beth and myself were out in the fields the other morning walking past some horses (public footpath) when one of them started acting up. It came charging over targeting Mizz, so I stood between Miz and it only to get a solid headbutt which sent back a few paces (and hurt a bit) and it appeared to try to trample Miz who was desperately trying to get out of it's way. I yanked her out of its way a couple of times and managed to get her behind me and kind of got the horse to run at me instead of her, whilst keeping away from it back legs. It bucked a few times trying a few kicks at us. Mizzie did her best snarling and snapping her teeth but the horse didn't care. I was impressed Miz didn't actually go for the horse, just tried to scare it off. We kept going round in circles, it trying to stamp at Mizz, me trying to interveen whilst keeping us all away from the back end, and eventually got near the stile and Beth made a break for it and got safe. Then the owner turned up and called it away, she shouted sorry and explained it was young horse (still about 5ft at the shoulders mind) then led it off sharpish. Mizz was pretty jumpy for a few hours after but was then ok.

My main question for anybody who knows about Horses is; what should I have done? standing still got me headbutted, shouting did nothing and running would (I assume) have been pointless. Mizzie had no joy scaring it off either.
I thought I remained pretty calm, after all it wasn't an angry Rottweilier, but when the horse stopped my heart was racing.
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: Horse trouble   Sun 01 Apr 2012, 5:18 pm

Very scary situation and difficult one to get out of. Glad you are all OK.

Used to ride when I was younger, had a coupe of bites and kicks from a grumpy horse on occasion but wouldn't have a clue how to cope with that. Not sure what you could have done - sounds like the horse has issues with dogs and as such shouldn't be left to roam where's there's a public footpath.

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31893

PostSubject: Re: Horse trouble   Sun 01 Apr 2012, 6:21 pm

How scary for you all, hope Mizzie is OK now and not too traumatised.

Babybink owns her own horse, maybe she may be able to give you some advice

Back to top Go down
getcarter
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2019

PostSubject: Re: Horse trouble   Sun 01 Apr 2012, 7:11 pm

Might be worth reporting it, shouldn't be there if it's a problem to people walking past.
Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: Horse trouble   Sun 01 Apr 2012, 8:04 pm

blimey I would have been so scared I dont know what I would have done, I think you did well to stay so calm.

I will be very interested to see what the people who have horses on the forum,s advice is
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Horse trouble   Sun 01 Apr 2012, 10:33 pm

Blimey not sure what I would have done either? Probably the same as you but I don't think I would have stayed as calm.

We were once surrounded by cows in a field who were extremely interested in Ruby so we waved our arms and an umbrella at them and shouted at them. It seemed to do the trick. Not sure about horses though?

Back to top Go down
Namadaja
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female
Number of posts : 118

PostSubject: Re: Horse trouble   Sun 01 Apr 2012, 11:09 pm

Scary :( I would have no idea, I really really dislike horses, I just don't trust them - the front bites and the back kicks! Thats enough for me lol.
Back to top Go down
Namadaja
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female
Number of posts : 118

PostSubject: Re: Horse trouble   Sun 01 Apr 2012, 11:14 pm

http://www.equiworld.net/horses/horsecare/safety/index.htm

Some interesting info on here, though its from the POV of beginning riding, but a bit about vision, body language, etc.
Back to top Go down
getcarter
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2019

PostSubject: Re: Horse trouble   Mon 02 Apr 2012, 12:19 pm

Would have thought waving your arms around might have been enough to discourage any bad horsey behaviour.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Horse trouble   

Back to top Go down

Horse trouble
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1