Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Mad JRT

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31917

PostSubject: Mad JRT    Mon 02 Apr 2012, 8:04 pm

Tonight we were on the fields when I saw a lady approach with a Jack Russell off lead. I put Reuben on as I always do and this dog started to stalk him, I was not sure if this was in play or what so I shouted over to ask if he / she was friendly, her response was 'it depends' at which point this dog charged at Reuben and it was clear he was not friendly. He was trying to get at Reuben whilst I was kicking it away with one foot whilst trying to protect Reuben.
Reuben was very good and only after a few lunges by this dog did Reuben react but thankfully did not make contact.
The woman eventually caught up with her dog, grabbed it and put it on the lead apologising.

We carried on down the field, Reuben was off lead and a couple of minutes later I heard this woman screaming at her dog, I turned around only to see it was in full charge towards us again. I put Reuben on the lead and as it neared to us it changed its mind, turned around and ran back to its owners.

In hindsight I wondered if I had done right by putting Reuben back on his lead or whether I should have left him free to sort this little shit of a dog out?
I do feel it was up to me to try and protect Reuben but this dog was quick as anything and I really struggled to keep it at bay on the first interaction and the last thing I wanted was Reuben getting injured when he was restricted by the lead

What would you have done or do you think I should have done?

Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: Mad JRT    Mon 02 Apr 2012, 9:12 pm

I would have done the same as you Jo, I have protected cassie in the past from JRT, labs, etc.

I think you did the right thing xxx

Back to top Go down
Jakethedog
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 3739

PostSubject: Re: Mad JRT    Mon 02 Apr 2012, 10:21 pm

you did what you thought was right jo so thats all that matters ,

i have to admit id have let alfie stand his ground off lead the 2nd time around which some people might says wrong & could end up with alfie getting into bother but i feel he needs to stick up for himself
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: Mad JRT    Mon 02 Apr 2012, 10:21 pm

I would have done exactly as you did. reuben was obviously happy that you were in control of the situation x

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Mad JRT    Tue 03 Apr 2012, 1:02 pm

I also would have done exactly the same. It is tempting to let them off to sort it out but if he had gone too far then Reuben would have been in the wrong and that wouldn't have been fair on him.

Also I bet Adam says you are the one to sort out unruly dogs, not your dog spinner smile

Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: Mad JRT    Tue 03 Apr 2012, 2:22 pm

I would have done the same Jo. No point in "letting" them fight if it can be avoided.

It's clear the JRT was out of control unlike Reuben. Shame on the other owner I think . oh no
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 9711

PostSubject: Re: Mad JRT    Tue 03 Apr 2012, 6:19 pm

i would be tempted to let Reuben sort it out the second time
having said that Reuben would have been in the "wrong " being a staffy if the jack russell had been injured
stupid woman
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mad JRT    

Back to top Go down

Mad JRT
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Staffiezone :: Dog Chat, Help and Advice :: General or Random Staffie, Bullie and Dog Chat :: Training & Behaviour-
Jump to: