Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

What do you do to keep your dog stimulated?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
xXxEricaxXx
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 672

PostSubject: What do you do to keep your dog stimulated?   Wed 11 Apr 2012, 6:20 pm

Hey,

I was just curious as to what you do with your dogs indoors to keep the occupied. Mine dont like toys. They do like bones and their kongs but I was wondering if there was anything I could do with them to stop them being bored and to keep our bond strong.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31891

PostSubject: Re: What do you do to keep your dog stimulated?   Wed 11 Apr 2012, 6:39 pm

You could try 'find it' in your home with them. You could start with a treat under a football cone (they are only small) and tell them to find it, as they find it tell them down and then reward. Once they understand the find it command, you may have to show them a few times first, you can start to hide things in the flat. Make it something nice and smelly so they can put their noses to work

Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: What do you do to keep your dog stimulated?   Wed 11 Apr 2012, 6:42 pm

I do the find it with cassie she loves this, we play tug too which she loves, she has her kong with food in to play with and cassie also loves to be groomed.

we also do some training in door sit stay down with treats for reward.

Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: What do you do to keep your dog stimulated?   Wed 11 Apr 2012, 7:19 pm

Find it is so much fun..scattered kibble is good too..also known as find your own dinner in our house - ( seperate your dogs first if you have any food / possesive issues ).

We also try to just do one on one focused attention - concentrated strokes, back rubs, massage etc - anything that we know each dog likes best.
Back to top Go down
stepys1
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2354

PostSubject: Re: What do you do to keep your dog stimulated?   Wed 11 Apr 2012, 7:28 pm

Quattro has his kongs & bones, we play ball & find it games. We also practise his sits, downs, down stays & roll over which he loves. Lots of massages is his best past time spinner smile
Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Re: What do you do to keep your dog stimulated?   Wed 11 Apr 2012, 8:52 pm

We played find it last night, sometimes I hide his toys and somehow he always finds it! Last night we played it with treats, it really tired him out.

Another good fun one Enzo loves is when you hide under a blanket and he diggs you out, so much fun lol.

The dispenser toys are good too or you could use a plastic bottle and put a treat inside

spinner smile
Back to top Go down
xXxEricaxXx
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 672

PostSubject: Re: What do you do to keep your dog stimulated?   Wed 11 Apr 2012, 10:50 pm

That find it game sounds really fun! I think I'll steal that idea! I'll play wi them separately thought otherwise they might fight. I think I'll start practising their basic commands aswell. They're pretty good with sit n stay n paw but could do with brushing up.

I play with bubbles! Dog friendly ones. They love chasing them, especially Rosie.
Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 635

PostSubject: Re: What do you do to keep your dog stimulated?   Thu 12 Apr 2012, 10:19 am

The trainer who worked with Bertie with us also boards dogs which need intensive work & he was telling us about one poor dog which has loads of food allergies - so he uses home-cooked popcorn as a training & stimualtion treat.

I think I will start doing 'find it' with Bertie. Although he's by no means perfectly trained, I've run out of ideas for things to teach him - any suggestions would be welcome! I had taught him to shut the door but had to stop - he was so enthusiastic I was worried the whole house was going to collapse! lol

We play with toys - he particularly loves his tug toys & I find it really useful to practise commands - he's very responsive & even when he's really excited about the game he will 'leave' or 'sit' when told. spinner smile
Back to top Go down
stepys1
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2354

PostSubject: Re: What do you do to keep your dog stimulated?   Thu 12 Apr 2012, 1:06 pm

When we play find it I hide the other half lol
Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 635

PostSubject: Re: What do you do to keep your dog stimulated?   Thu 12 Apr 2012, 1:35 pm

Is that your way of getting some peace & quiet, Lou? Do you let your other half out again if Quattro doesn't find him?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you do to keep your dog stimulated?   

Back to top Go down

What do you do to keep your dog stimulated?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Staffiezone :: Dog Chat, Help and Advice :: General or Random Staffie, Bullie and Dog Chat-
Jump to: