Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Don't know what to think

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 635

PostSubject: Don't know what to think   Mon 16 Apr 2012, 6:18 pm

I just walked Bertie & 2 of the incredibly dodgy looking guys who have recently moved in down the square, & who have been causing a lot of trouble round here lately (fighting, domestic violence, uncontrolled aggressive dogs), stopped to admire Bertie. After saying 'Cool looking dog' etc, they started asking questions - 'Is he aggressive?', 'Does he fight?' & then 'Has he been done?'.

When I answered 'no' to all 3 questions, the men both said 'Shame'. Then, one of them whispered really loudly to the other 'He'd still make good bait' & then they both grinned & walked off laughing.

I was completely freaked when I got in, but Steve pointed out that this could be exactly what they wanted - that they're probably not involved in dog fighting but are so stupid & cruel that they think it's funny & clever to pretend they are - & that the people who are involved keep very quiet about it... but what if they are involved?????
Back to top Go down
getcarter
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2019

PostSubject: Re: Don't know what to think   Mon 16 Apr 2012, 6:24 pm

I'd be freaked out too!
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: Don't know what to think   Mon 16 Apr 2012, 7:00 pm

I think it would freak me out too. Just take extra precautions over the next few days and maybe take Steve with you. They may have just been trying to intimidate you but once they see Steve I am sure they will steer well clear

Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Re: Don't know what to think   Mon 16 Apr 2012, 7:11 pm

They were probably trying to scare you, what age were they?

Like Jo said I'd just be extra careful and keep a close eye on Bertie.
Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: Don't know what to think   Mon 16 Apr 2012, 8:27 pm

group hug I would have been freaked too, I agree with the other posts be extra careful x
Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Don't know what to think   Mon 16 Apr 2012, 8:45 pm

The guys are in their mid 20s to early 30s. Steve thinks I'm being paranoid - I ddn't sleep at all last night & while I was up during the night I found those warnings about the skin cream & the guy supposedly trying to buy staffies to use as bait. He has also said that I can't be 100% certain that I heard the comment correctly etc.

However, Steve has admitted that one of the men is almost certainly the same one who said to him while he was walking Bertie, 'that'd be a cracking pit bull if it filled out a bit'! OMG.

I can't understand it - Bertie ldoes not look like a pit bull or pit bull type.

Steve has promised to mention this all to Chris, a friend of ours & a policeman who loves dogs & thinks Bertie is wonderful.

I'm trying to think what to say to Steve's dad - I don't want to panic him cos he's in his 70s & pottering around with Bertie is keeping him active & gets him out to chat to people - but I have to know he's going to be cautious around certain people.

I want to move! Mind you, frequently the flats where the men are living are used for short stays of a maximum of 16 weeks, so hopefully they will be moved elsewhere shortly.

I suppse Steve is probably right, people involved in dogfighting would hardly go around boasting about it in front of dog lovers? We're still going to take your advice & be really cautious. ta xx

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Don't know what to think   Mon 16 Apr 2012, 8:58 pm

Many years ago Sue I befriended someone who lived locally. He got drunk one night and tried to get me to let him into my flat, when he refused he said 'whats up I am not going to rape you!#

Now for me the fact he said it means it was on his mind or was his intention. Dont be fooled by them being blase.

I am not trying to scare you but I think Steve needs to support you on this and come out with you. I also think you should tell Steves Dad so he can be cautious.

Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: Don't know what to think   Mon 16 Apr 2012, 9:21 pm

I agree with Jo, you need to warn steves dad and take Steve with you when you go out
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Don't know what to think   Mon 16 Apr 2012, 10:58 pm

I agree, just be careful where you walk him for a few days and take Steve with you if you can. It's better to be safe than sorry. I get lots of admiring looks at Elsdon as he's a big staffie cross, if anyone looks too interested I just walk him on a different route for a few days.

I have been followed on one occasion by a black car when I was walking them up the back street, still not worked that one out yet and it freaked me out for weeks.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Don't know what to think   Tue 17 Apr 2012, 6:21 am

I remember that Jan, worrying times

Back to top Go down
Jakethedog
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 3741

PostSubject: Re: Don't know what to think   Tue 17 Apr 2012, 6:31 am

Yeah I must agree with all the above , keep a close eye on your boy at all times
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23449

PostSubject: Re: Don't know what to think   Tue 17 Apr 2012, 8:27 am

omg seems to me they are trying to scare you - thats how these peeps get a hold of the patch so to speak - I would try not let it worry you to much hun - but just be on guard - never let Bertie in the garden on his own etc and if you walk Bertie on your own and he is off lead just make sure that you are in a safe distance and can recall him quickly if needed.

Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Don't know what to think   Tue 17 Apr 2012, 8:58 am

Jo - what a creepy story! Why would a man say that to a woman - does he think that's supposed to be comforting? I'm not at all surprised that alarm bells rang.

It's disturbing hearing all your stories about inappropriate interest in your dogs, too.

Thanks everybody. Steve rang Chris, a mate in the police force, for a chat about surfing & just casually mentioned the issue - although he missed out the 'nice pit bull' comment! Chris reflected what you're all saying - although he's not heard anything he said we 'should be vigilant' - he suspects the guys are probably just trying to scare me for a laugh, but that we should be cautious just in case. He also said that 'if anything does happen' (!??) we should ring the police immediately & ring him on his mobile, too.

I'm actually quite glad for once that we don't have a garden, so Bertie is never outside on his own. We've mentioned it to Steve's dad - who also said that 'those men watch Bertie'.

We don't have Bertie off the lead on our road & we'll certainly be keeping an eye out when we do let him off. It worries me that he's so friendly - although while he's outside he is not really interested in people, if someone got hold of his collar he'd just wag & probably try to lick them.

It's a horrible feeling!

ta for all your support! group hug
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23449

PostSubject: Re: Don't know what to think   Tue 17 Apr 2012, 9:21 am

Good work hun - so pleased you casually mentioned this - at least it is now on record so to speak xx

It must be an awful experience and lets hope you don't hear anymore - but try to relax a little x
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 9711

PostSubject: Re: Don't know what to think   Tue 17 Apr 2012, 10:19 am

agree with every-one be vigilant
we have to every Appleby time and have a double lock on the front gate
its awful you cant relax for scum bags
Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Don't know what to think   Tue 17 Apr 2012, 10:26 am

Apparently, next time they're called out to an incident involving these guys, the police are going to seriously enquire about their dogs. Their dogs aren't well looked after - not trained, off lead, not exercised - no wonder the poor things aren't perfectly behaved. I only hope nothing worse is happening to them. xx
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: Don't know what to think   Tue 17 Apr 2012, 10:32 am

If their dogs are aggressive and out of control - If you have good reason to - you could think about a call to the dog warden.

A good dog warden can suss out a great deal of info about how dogs are kept etc in just one visit and will not be shy about calling for police back up in the event of a verbal or physical threat.
Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Don't know what to think   Sat 21 Apr 2012, 11:57 am

I haven't seen these guys for a few days - which is a relief. I'm hoping they've moved but suspect they've been staying indoors while it's been tipping down constantly for the last few days.

I've just realised (because a friend has just pointed out!) that I made a mistake in my very first post on this subject. I made it sound as if Bertie is still an entire male which he isn't - we had him neutered in September & I told those men so.

Just in case anybody thinks Bertie might be rampaging around impregnating bitches.
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Don't know what to think   Sat 21 Apr 2012, 4:20 pm

Never crossed my mind Sue but I'm laughing at the thought of Bertie rampaging around impregnating bitches - that would tire him out at night spinner smile
Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Don't know what to think   Sat 21 Apr 2012, 7:17 pm

I spoke too soon - it seems 'those men' have been asking Kyrche about Lola today - how much she weighs, has she been done, is she for sale!

Lola is Bertie's tidgy white staffy girlfriend.

I've told Kyrche what Chris (policeman) told us & told her to ring the police if anything happens. We're also going to tell Chris what's happened.

Evil apologies for human beings!
Back to top Go down
rockromantic
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 708

PostSubject: Re: Don't know what to think   Tue 01 May 2012, 1:51 pm

Oh my god! I would be so freaked out! I can just echo what everyone else has said, just be careful.

I remember when I walked through a carpark late at night with Buster, two blokes had a staff that didn't seem best pleased to see buster asking if he was for sale, how much I'd let him go for, if I wanted to swap with his staff, and then said don't leave him in garden cause I'll take him.. Then added just joking, I don't think I slept for 2 nights and it was a while back I still won't let any of them in back garden on their own.

Massive hugs, some people are just pure evil :(
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don't know what to think   

Back to top Go down

Don't know what to think
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Staffiezone :: Dog Chat, Help and Advice :: General or Random Staffie, Bullie and Dog Chat-
Jump to: