Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Advice please?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 635

PostSubject: Advice please?   Sat 21 Apr 2012, 9:17 am

I've decided to get more active & involved with, er... 'dog stuff'. Very specific, eh?

I bought a £30 carrier required to ensure that a pound to rescue run would go ahead. I have also been contacted by a couple of dog rescue groups.

Yorkshire Coast Dog Rescue - I think I'm going to help out & (hopefully) walk a couple of their current rescue dogs on a sponsored walk tomorrow.

Emergency Animal Rescue Support have also taken my details.

My issue is this - how do I figure out whether or not these are good, responsible organisations to support? I'm fairly confident that if I was regularly walking the dogs & visiting the rescues I would be able to get a bit of feel for how well the dogs were treated etc. However, this isn't an option apparently, because the YCDR dogs are boarded in private kennels quite a long way from Scarborough & EARS is based in Harrogate - I think.

Does anybody have any ideas, please? I know some organisations are better than others & that some are really dreadful.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31831

PostSubject: Re: Advice please?   Sat 21 Apr 2012, 9:46 am

For me the most important thing is the dogs (unless you are planning on donating money!)
I volunteer as a dog walker at my local shelter, however there are a lot of areas they could improve on and I dont think there is much organisation at all.
I try to distance myself from that or you end up getting dragged into buying all sorts for them and geeting frustrated so now I purely go in and spend a couple of hours taking the dogs for walks and much needed interaction

Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Advice please?   Sat 21 Apr 2012, 9:57 am

Yeah, that's the thing Jo - I wanted to actually work with the dogs. I'm not excatly rolling in cash & I'd rather do something practical, but obviously Harrogate is far too far away to do stuff with EARS dogs & I was basically told 'no' by YCDR.

There is a sponsored dog walk tomorrow & it's been mentioned that 'a couple of the rescue dogs will probably come along for a walk', but this sounds like a one off. :((

I think I'll go along tomorrow cos it might give a dog a chance to get out of kennels for a bit but then start looking again?
Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 15686

PostSubject: Re: Advice please?   Sat 21 Apr 2012, 10:45 am

My advice would be if you are donating money make sure they are a charity - that way you know all the money is accounted for and is for the rescue, be it welfare, food or upkeep. If they are not and you still like them take items like food and bedding to give so you know it it used for the dogs.

Don't give money to "buy a brick" type schemes unless you are absolutely sure there is planning permission and more kennels will be built.

Walking dogs and helping out you will soon get a feel for the rescue or kennels as you go along on a regular basis and you will get to know the people in charge and work out whether you like their way of things and attitude. You also get to talk to other people that may be involved with the rescue and get their take on the place and you will learn as you go along.

Not all individual rescues are charities, but some still do a good job or may be under a bigger rescue that is a charity who looks after the funds for them.

Another good thing is to see if they have a website and you can see what other people are saying about them.

Good luck with it all.

Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Advice please?   Sat 21 Apr 2012, 10:55 am

Thanks for the advice - I'll keep all of that in mind. x
Back to top Go down
Toni
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 5585

PostSubject: Re: Advice please?   Sat 21 Apr 2012, 11:24 am

Like Sandi said with donating, instead of giving cash, collect blankets, buy food etc, if there is no proof of it being a legit charity. That way you know the donations are for the dogs.
Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Advice please?   Sat 21 Apr 2012, 11:30 am

Yeah - I bought a carrier - but I ordered & paid for it online & added the rescue's delivery address.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice please?   

Back to top Go down

Advice please?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1