Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Interaction with others

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31917

PostSubject: Interaction with others   Sun 22 Apr 2012, 9:10 pm

Reuben does not like dogs in his face and struggles to deal with excitable dogs yet he will tolerate puppies / young dogs jumping all over him???

Last week I took Reuben and a collie pup for a walk together during a break in flyball and this pup was diving all over him whilst I was trying to walk them, Reuben paid no attention to him at all and did not respond with play.
He was the same with a 6 month old staffie cross today, it is now the same size as Reuben but reubs has met him a few times in the last couple of months. Again this was diving all over him and he just turned away and was not in the slightest bit interested.

Then we come to T bone. He is a male staffie, 3 years old and Reuben knew him when he was younger and they were walked together a few times. T is a very excitable dog and Reuben on most occasions wants to kill him. A few weeks ago when it was nice he was actually off lead with him for a few minutes and they did play but it got very rough very quickly so we put T bone back on the lead. We bumped into him again today and Reuben went for him and I think he would have bitten him if I had not managed to pull him back. Even when I stood in front of Reuben he pulled from behind me to get to him and almost pulled me over

I cannot understand my dog at times scratch

Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: Interaction with others   Sun 22 Apr 2012, 9:39 pm

He obviously knows that they are only puppies, so allows them to jump on him, but wont take the same behaviour from an adult dog
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: Interaction with others   Sun 22 Apr 2012, 10:40 pm

Yes I agree that its acceptable for puppies to jump but not for an older dog.

like Reuben, Diesel off lead is fine with all dogs and on-lead isn't impressed with dogs that come into his face.

Back to top Go down
Jakethedog
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 3739

PostSubject: Re: Interaction with others   Mon 23 Apr 2012, 6:51 am

Alfie can be the other way Jo , he isn't to keen on pups in his face , but I think some times it all depends on wether he takes a dislike to them Or not for no real reason
Back to top Go down
K999
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 1087

PostSubject: Re: Interaction with others   Mon 23 Apr 2012, 8:11 am

Puppies generally show very little tension (they haven't really grasped danger yet so don't get very defensive and tense) so most dogs recognise they aren't really threatening, just daft.

Having said that when we got Miz she was very concerned with pups, perhaps because they don't act like normal dogs (who she didn't like at the time anyway) but maybe because her prey drive was so high. Either way it took me quite awhile to show her how to react to them. Even now she is quite hard on them and won't let them get away with much daftness, which can be very useful with certain pups!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interaction with others   

Back to top Go down

Interaction with others
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Staffiezone :: Dog Chat, Help and Advice :: General or Random Staffie, Bullie and Dog Chat :: Training & Behaviour-
Jump to: