Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Rosy Roo - an update

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Namadaja
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female
Number of posts : 118

PostSubject: Rosy Roo - an update   Tue 24 Apr 2012, 5:31 pm

Things are going well! Her ear is all better, we got to the bottom of the shredded beds and I have managed to let her off lead a few times! I have also given in, she now comes up to bed with us at night, she has a fleecy sheepskin style blanket by my bed, matches the new one in her downstairs bed :)

We discovered that the rabbit made her shred her beds!!! My male rabbit thumps, he is quite old and grumpy and it drives Rosy INSANE! I have never seen a dog go from 0 to mental in such a short space of time!!! The rabbits thumps and Rosy spins, barks, yelps, cries, leaps, digs at the carpet/bed, all at about 90 MPH. She has no control and no idea what to do with herself. Of course, she goes mental, he freaks out! This is why she now comes to bed at night as we were getting no sleep as they barked and thumped and barked and freaked out all night lol. I think shes happy with the deal though lol (I am thinking that the reason she hates it is the noise of the rabbits cage, it sounds like someone hitting the top of a crate and she was treated really badly in a crate. She is very happy in hers now but thats because its been her haven and I've made sure she feels happy in it, but I do wonder if the noise of the rabbit cage triggers a bad memory.)

And I have let Rosy off the lead! I have to make sure we are on our own and not near an exit and I just keep calling her back for treats. She wont return if I call her name but she will return if you say 'whats this' and hold your hand out. I'm just making sure that I keep saying her name, she will soon work it out. Shes started looking up when I say 'Rosy whats this' so wont be long. She also goes out on her long line when it is busier and has quickly worked out when shes reached the 10 metres and slows before she goes boing at the end lol. When off the lead she will trott towards hedging and undergrowth for a nose but I just say 'come on, this way' and she trotts on with us spinner smile
Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: Rosy Roo - an update   Tue 24 Apr 2012, 5:34 pm

Its good that you have found out what was causing her to be stressed, it all sounds really good and positive, well done xxxx

good job
Back to top Go down
Namadaja
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Rosy Roo - an update   Tue 24 Apr 2012, 5:40 pm

Oh also forgot to say that we aren't using the adaptil stuff now and so far so good :) I would highly recommend it for rescue dogs, really helped settle her in :)
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: Rosy Roo - an update   Tue 24 Apr 2012, 5:56 pm

Wow that's so weird about the rabbit - poor girl makes you wonder what happened to her before she came to you.

It's brilliant she's so much more settled - sounds like she's really benefitting from sleeping close to you too. She sounds like she is really finding her self confidence.

Recall is sounding good - re the name thing we had trouble with Amy recognising her name so when we went out she was called " Amy IN" for ages and my friends dogs are called "SAUSAGES" if they need recalling. lol

So pleased things are going so well for you all spinner smile
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23424

PostSubject: Re: Rosy Roo - an update   Tue 24 Apr 2012, 7:10 pm

Awwwwwwwwwwww seems like your all making such great progress keep up the good work xxx
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31893

PostSubject: Re: Rosy Roo - an update   Tue 24 Apr 2012, 8:10 pm

Glad you got the bed issue sorted, at least you know what it was. Is she reactive to other noises in general?

Sounds like positive work on the recall, I am working on recall with a whistle at the moment. I am blowing it in another room and when Reubs comes to be he gets a nice treat. He is not quite getting it outdoors though for some reason

Back to top Go down
Namadaja
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Rosy Roo - an update   Tue 24 Apr 2012, 9:26 pm

She responds reliably to her name at all times apart from when in or near a field and then she is off with the various smells and sounds and it can be like I'm not there. Mind you, she must get sick of hearing my voice when we are out: Rosy! *turns toward me* OH good girl!!!!!! and then we alternate with just praise and treat and praise. She probably just thinks I'm a daft bat that doesn't really want anything, taking up valuable sniffing and snuffling time teehee!

It was so good to finally find out what was upsetting her, all I wanted was to know why so I could fix it. She likes the fix and loves to go up to bed. I think it is the noise of the cage being thumped as she is fine with the rabbit normally, his cage is on the floor and she often goes up and snuffles him, seems really gentle with him. Not sure I would risk him being out with her mind!! She doesn't seem to react to other sounds but she can react a bit to dogs with attitude, like my dads westie! She flew at him on first meeting, he was being all mouth and no trousers back so we just carried on walking our walk and ignoring them....he backed down and had a sneaking bum sniff when Rosy was saying hello to a puppy, she was quite happy to carry on as though he wasn't there lol
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Rosy Roo - an update   Tue 24 Apr 2012, 9:51 pm

Really glad for you that you've sorted the bed shredding out and that's she's more settled upstairs with you.

We got taught at dog training how to get your dog to know their name, chuck a treat about two feet away from you and when your dog gets there, say their name and when they come back give them another. Gradually extend this to three feet, four feet etc she'll soon learn what her name is.

Hope this helps spinner smile
Back to top Go down
Namadaja
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Rosy Roo - an update   Tue 24 Apr 2012, 10:20 pm

Shes fine with her name, we picked one that was almost the same as her old name and shes happy to come when called at home or on road walks but just gets preoccupied when there are things to sniff, typical terrier I guess lol.

Oh bless, she must have been reading my post, she knocked something and the rabbit thumped but instead of going berserk she sat behind me, did a few quiet whines and had a bit of a tremble. She usually trembles when she is working something out, progress! She is a good girly :D
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Rosy Roo - an update   Tue 24 Apr 2012, 10:44 pm

She sounds it, bless her, what a lovely girl spinner smile
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: Rosy Roo - an update   Tue 24 Apr 2012, 11:18 pm

Well Done for figuiring out what was stressing her out.
Sounds like you're doing all the right things and she's doing very well.

spinner smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rosy Roo - an update   

Back to top Go down

Rosy Roo - an update
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1