Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

The use of Muzzles

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: The use of Muzzles   Wed 25 Apr 2012, 8:51 am

Just saw a post on FB - a Staffy owner was out walking her dog which was muzzled and on a lead.

It was attacked by another Staffy - not under control - luckily only a minor superficial wound.

it raised a question for me though

The owner obviously muzzles her dog for a reason possibly DA. ( I don't know the facts ) but it's clear it's considered necessary so maybe if her dog wasn't wearing a muzzle this may have been a full on fight with serious damage on both side.

Or was the muzzled dog bitten because it couldn't warn off the attacker. What message does the muzzle give to a dog inclined towards attacking

I sympathise with the responsible owner - obviously the out of control dog's owner was to blame. It highlights that really difficult decision with DA dogs - do you muzzle to protect others but put yours at risk - or do you not muzzle and hope you never let your guard down and let your DA dog get to another dog. scratch
Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: The use of Muzzles   Wed 25 Apr 2012, 9:07 am

Interesting debate Liz, I would worry that if I had to muzzel my dog then they wouldnt be able to protect them selves if needed, the problem is that owners allow their dogs to approach even when you have your dog on a lead. I tend to think if a dog is on a lead maybe there is a reason and I call cassie back.

I dont know what message wearing a muzzel gives other dogs? scratch
Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 635

PostSubject: Re: The use of Muzzles   Wed 25 Apr 2012, 9:16 am

Yeah, I saw that too.

I'm not sure what I think! I do agree with Allie - Bertie is fantastic with other dogs when he's off the lead but can be unpredictable when he's on the lead. I always try to warn people with dogs, but loads say 'Oh, it's ok - mine's really friendly, he won't fight '. Aaargh!

I would worry that by muzzling my dog he would feel more vulnerable & react more defensively & aggressively towards other dogs & therefore he would be more likely to be attacked - & would be unable to defend himself...

...although if I had a very dog aggressive dog, or a dog which was aggressive towards people, I would seriously consider a muzzle...

... but it wouldn't be an easy choice...

Back to top Go down
Namadaja
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female
Number of posts : 118

PostSubject: Re: The use of Muzzles   Wed 25 Apr 2012, 2:52 pm

My Mum occasionally puts a muzzle on her collie, thankfully she did one day outside a supermarket, as she left the store the security guard marched up to her and said some boys had said they were attacked by the dog. He wanted to call the police to report it and Mum said maybe he should meet the dog first....one very confused security guard as he tried to work out just how a dog with a muzzle had managed to attack anything! My mum doesn't use a muzzle because her collie is dog or people aggressive, she just feels happier that in certain situations no problems like that could arise, we have lost count of the children in public that lunge towards both her collies and the parents don't give a hoot, they just tell my mum to leave the kids, they live with dogs, they can pet the dogs. Idiots! Mine have always been taught that if you really need to say hello then you ask the owner first, but they have decided that dogs are sweet and quite happy to be left to their walkies. My daughter got caught off guard yesterday, an old lady asked if she would like to stroke her elderly greyhound (she usually admires this dog from afar lol) and she was taken aback but still checked with me to see what I thought.

I am not keen on muzzles myself. A few times Rosy has been a bit grumpy, usually with small terriers and I would rather walk her on and let her know its not acceptable, I wouldn't want to wear something over my face for a walk. If I knew that she was DA then I would be on my guard and walk her when its quieter and on her lead. Around here people automatically give a wide berth to dogs on leads and it seems an unspoken rule that if you are approaching a dog on a lead then you call your own dog back and put them on a lead to pass by. Lost count of the times I have had to explain that Rosy is just on the lead due to recall....lots of big sighs of relief lol!?
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: The use of Muzzles   Wed 25 Apr 2012, 5:23 pm

Sorry but I would never use a muzzle and I am of the opinion that if someone else cannot control their dog and it was injured by mine that is their problem.
Obviously I feel for their dog but my dog would be the priority and I would not make my dog uncomfortable to satisfy people who cannot or will not control their dogs.

I also would always want my dog to be in a position where he could defend himself should be meet an aggressive dog off lead.

Some of you may remember when we had an altercation last year with two staffies off lead, they both charged at me and Reuben and I picked Reuben up to my neck height and held him against a fence protected by my body. These dogs were jumping up trying to get his feet from behind me and when eventually caught one of them bit the owner.

Now can you imagine if I could not have picked Reuben up and he had been muzzled? He would not have stood a chance

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: The use of Muzzles   Wed 25 Apr 2012, 6:15 pm

I'd hate to have to use one, I wouldn't feel comfortable about it at all. I agree with you all that it puts your dog in a more dangerous situation than they need to be in.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: The use of Muzzles   Wed 25 Apr 2012, 6:21 pm

If you are careful I dont think you need one although there are always the other idiot owners to think off!

Jack was very DA from a very late age in life and would give no warning of an attack. He only attacked once and this was the one and only time he ever attacked a dog (not sure what triggered it)
I never considered a muzzle for him and for off lead excercise we used to go to the local park and lock the gates in the tennis courts so there was no risk of any altercation with any other dogs.

I also chose not to walk where I knew there would be lots of dogs off lead so as not to stress him.

I suppose I am lucky in that we had these facilities so he was always well excercised

Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 9711

PostSubject: Re: The use of Muzzles   Wed 25 Apr 2012, 10:23 pm

i agree 100% with you on this Jo.
you've said it all. good post
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The use of Muzzles