Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Over Excited Dog

Go down 
AuthorMessage
jnr/snr

Male
Number of posts : 7

PostSubject: Over Excited Dog   Fri 27 Apr 2012, 4:20 pm

Has anyone got any advise re: my 11 month old staffie cross, he keeps jumping up and biting (not aggressively) my partners arms/hands and clothing when he is going through the door. He is a big dog and very powerful i'm worried hes going to hurt my partner hes ripped several coats and broke the skin on his wrist and arms, he doesn't do it to me and now the other dog (2 yrs old) is getting similiar in this department. Any advise would be great, thank you.
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23449

PostSubject: Re: Over Excited Dog   Fri 27 Apr 2012, 7:30 pm

Hi - have you had Rocky since he was a pup?

Diesel used to do this to me - he used to nip my bum and it blooming hurt at times - however it was my fault as I was too soft with him - I kinda let him get away with a lot and won't discipline him where my OH would - and Diesel would never dare try to mouth him.

How we stopped it was when Diesel didn't do something I asked - Paul used to back me up and then make me repeat the command - then praise Diesel when he did good.

It didnt take long for Diesel to fall back into the pack - but as I say its my fault for not addressing things and letting Diesel rule me lol x
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31924

PostSubject: Re: Over Excited Dog   Fri 27 Apr 2012, 10:11 pm

I am sure we had a post about this a while ago that Adam posted on, I will see if I can find it for you.

There is also a video from the dogs trust about dogs jumping, I will get you the link

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Over Excited Dog   Fri 27 Apr 2012, 10:57 pm

Here is a link to a post which may help

http://staffiezone.boardonly.com/t12985-very-excitable-dog

also within this link Adam refers to another link which may be useful

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Over Excited Dog   Fri 27 Apr 2012, 10:58 pm

Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23449

PostSubject: Re: Over Excited Dog   Sat 28 Apr 2012, 7:20 am

Superb post hun from Adam xx
Back to top Go down
newstaffieowner
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Female
Number of posts : 89

PostSubject: Re: Over Excited Dog   Sun 29 Apr 2012, 6:03 pm

I have been here before, Megan was a rescue and used to do this all the time, to be honest if it wasnt for my daughter I think I would have sent her back to rescue ( I never ever thought I would do this) but I honestly couldnt see things changing!!! BUT within a few weeks of just completely ignoring her when she jumped up/bit me things changed. She is now the most obedient dog and listens to everything you tell her. If you look at my original posts on here I was desparate!!! So please just bear with it and I can guarantee that things will improve, especially with all the help and advice of people on here!!! x
Back to top Go down
jnr/snr

Male

PostSubject: Re: Over Excited Dog   Sun 29 Apr 2012, 9:31 pm

A Big Thank You to Suzie, Jo, Adam and Diane for your advise it will be a Massive help. It sounds really sensible and obvious when you put it down to basics lol so i appreciate what your saying, we av had Rocky from a baby and would never think of letting him go (ppl wouldn't let their children go from them because of bad behaviour?) we love him so much but he has caused us a little stress and this will help. I have to hold my hand up because i'm guilty of letting him get away with 'murder' coz i love him so much i'm poor (too soft) to be strict, but i know its my downfall as hes hard on the lead too, he pulls alot and must be the weight of an average Rottweiller and hes only 10 months old. Thank you all again xx spinner smile
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Over Excited Dog   Mon 30 Apr 2012, 6:39 am

Do you use anything to help with the pulling on the lead?

Back to top Go down
jnr/snr

Male

PostSubject: Re: Over Excited Dog   Mon 30 Apr 2012, 10:50 am

spinner smile Hi Jo, he has a harness and i try to keep him close on the lead but when he gets a little slack he pulls harder, hes better when hes lost some energy hes more obedient lol
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Over Excited Dog   Mon 30 Apr 2012, 6:13 pm

How are they with other dogs? we regularly meet up for walks if you ever fancy joining us.
We put posts on here and leave it open for anyone to come and join us

You could try a Gentle leader with him or a canny collar, members on here have had results with both

Back to top Go down
jnr/snr

Male

PostSubject: Re: Over Excited Dog   Thu 03 May 2012, 6:02 pm

Hi Jo, they are both fine with other dogs. We went into jollies and the selection we were shown and tried didn't fit very well but they have a harness which we are going to try which doubles up as an in-car safety harness and is padded. I think it will take time because he is full of energy and he gets excited as he his only a baby spinner smile
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Over Excited Dog   Thu 03 May 2012, 6:25 pm

Thats the Ezy dog harness I assume. I have used them for a long time and they are great.
I do recall there being a harness with a clip ring on the front as well as the back, I think it may be from dog games. Someone else may know as I have not used them but I know others have

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Over Excited Dog   

Back to top Go down

Over Excited Dog
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Staffiezone :: Welcome Zone for New Members :: New Members Lounge-
Jump to: