Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Bad day?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 635

PostSubject: Bad day?   Tue 08 May 2012, 12:03 pm

I just hoped it might cheer up anyone else who sometimes really struggles with their dog's behaviour - or people who work in rescues who are just struggling full stop some days... x spinner smile

It was written by an American woman - which explains the 'You Don't Suck' title, but after feeling so upset yesterday evening because Bertie, on the lead, snapped & lunged at a dog he has played with happily off lead on several occasions, this made me feel a little better.

It also made me think about the fact that when he was abandoned on the beach he could so easily have ended up with someone who exploited his reactivity towards other dogs... rather than us - who are working so hard to manage & resolve the issue.

Keep smiling

http://rollinwithrubi.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/you-dont-suck.html
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: Bad day?   Tue 08 May 2012, 5:07 pm

Stay positive...

....there's always more good moments than bad ... lol

Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 635

PostSubject: Re: Bad day?   Wed 09 May 2012, 7:12 am

I have to admit I've cried a few times over Bertie.

Sometimes it's been because of anger, when other people ignore my warning & let their dog jump in Bertie's face when he's on the lead & then get angry when he grumps. Or when they see Bertie approaching & they react as if he's a monster who's not only going to rip apart their perfect dog but also spread some sort of disease.

Yes, I know I want it both ways. I don't want people let their dog harass Bertie when he's on the lead but I also want them to understand that he's great with people & that off lead he's fab with other dogs. It's a lot to ask, but why shouldn't I want Bertie to be happy & have fun & other dogs to be safe?

He's NOT a monster - he's a young dog who was dumped on the beach at 6 months old, & without wanting to sound too judgemental I can't help but assume that someone who would do something so irresponsible probably didn't give him the best start in life. So yes, he can be a little unpredictable with other dogs...

Sometimes I've cried with frustration because we suddenly seem to be back to square one with his behaviour.

However, I've also found myself welling up when loads of other dog owners, watching Bertie playing on the beach with a massive gang of dogs, have remarked on how lovely he is & how jealous they are of how responsive & well trained he is. spinner smile

Ups & downs, eh? Keep smiling! lol xx
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Bad day?   Wed 09 May 2012, 12:57 pm

group hug Hang on in there Sue, you're not the only one who feels like this. I do some days with Elsdon. I still can't work out why he has a goldfish memory!
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31829

PostSubject: Re: Bad day?   Wed 09 May 2012, 8:07 pm

I think we have all been there at some point, we all have good and bad days

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bad day?   

Back to top Go down

Bad day?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Staffiezone :: Dog Chat, Help and Advice :: General or Random Staffie, Bullie and Dog Chat-
Jump to: