Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Horrible start to the day

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 635

PostSubject: Horrible start to the day   Wed 16 May 2012, 8:49 am

We just heard loads of frantic screaming & yelping down the square. It turned out one of the really nice staffies - good with dogs & people - from down our road had just clamped hold of a kid's terrier. They managed to seperate them after abt 5 - 10 mins (I think, although it felt like hours) but the little terrier looked in a really bad way, poor little thing.

I just hope they're both ok! The poor little dog was just screaming frantically to begin with but then went quiet & limp - not sure how badly injured it was. There seemed to be a lot of blood, but neck / head / face wounds bleed a lot & if it was all mixed with saliva...

What do you think'll happen to the staffy? If it's reported to the police will it have to be put down? This was completely out of character, it's always been lovely.

Horrible. Feel really sick & shaky now & & sad & worried about both dogs. Also, slightly freaked because I've heard lots of anti-staffy comments. cry2
Back to top Go down
Toni
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 5585

PostSubject: Re: Horrible start to the day   Wed 16 May 2012, 11:06 am

I always thought that they could force a dog to be PTS for a dog on dog attack, but a few weeks ago, a friend of mine (copper) attended a 999 of a dog attack on the field near my house, and the 2 staffys had nearly taken the head off a sausage dog, both the staffys were destroyed.

Its awful, and accidents do happen. Thats why, as responsible owners, we need to have eyes in the back of our heads - not saying the owner of the staff is irresponsible, like I said, accidents happen.

Where was the terrier when it was attacked? In its own property? With kids walking it?
Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Horrible start to the day   Wed 16 May 2012, 11:21 am

I didn't see the start of it, so I can't say for definite but it looked like both dogs were walking on the lead on the pavement. I think the staffy was being walked by an adult & the terrier by a teenager.

Like I said, this staffy's been around for a while & I've never seen it be anything other than friendly to people & dogs.

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Horrible start to the day   Wed 16 May 2012, 12:54 pm

You have to wonder what the hell happened to start it all off? Poor little terrier, I feel so sorry for all concerned group hug
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23424

PostSubject: Re: Horrible start to the day   Wed 16 May 2012, 3:01 pm

OMG poor little Terrier Pooch - I would think the police may visit and the owners maybe cautioned if the Terrier owners report it - what an awful shame - I so hope that both dogs are ok especially the little Terrier pooch

Hugs honey xx
Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Horrible start to the day   Wed 16 May 2012, 3:16 pm

I'm at work at the mo, but am going to finish soon & head home - hopefully I'll be able to find out how the little dog is & whether or not anything is happening with the staffy.

Bit nervous about walking Bertie, because I heard loads of anti-staffy comments this morning - everybody sees a staffy attacking a dog, rather than one dog attacking another! Up till now, everybody round our way loved Bertie, but this morning as I was passing 2 men 1 said to the other, pointing at me, 'Yeah, well she's got a huge staffy, really powerful'...

Oh dear.
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23424

PostSubject: Re: Horrible start to the day   Wed 16 May 2012, 4:34 pm

Sue - it will all blow over honey - just keep walking Bertie with your head held high honey xxx

Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: Horrible start to the day   Wed 16 May 2012, 4:56 pm

so sad to hear this I hope both dogs are okay and things settle down quickly
Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Horrible start to the day   Wed 16 May 2012, 4:57 pm

Thanks Suzie & Allie - I know you're right - & it will all blow over.

It just upsets me that this is their perception of Bertie. He's not 'huge' - he's taller than most staffies, sort of tall border collie height. He's not 'really powerful' either - he's lightly built - for speed rather than power. I have to admit he's very strong for his size & shape, though.

xx

Last edited by tifla on Wed 16 May 2012, 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Horrible start to the day   Wed 16 May 2012, 5:04 pm

Thank you everybody - I really appreciate the sympathy & understanding you've all shown me, especially considering the fact that I only witnessed this incident & neither me or my dog were involved - thank goodness.

I've tried asking in the shop if they know how the dogs are, but just got a shrug & 'don't know'. I'll keep trying & I'm hoping that no news is good news - that the terrier is ok & the staffy won't be pts.

If I do hear anything I'll post it on here asap.

Thanks again! xx
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: Horrible start to the day   Wed 16 May 2012, 5:54 pm

I feel bad for you that you experienced this - it's so awful.

I really do hope both dogs are OK and that this can be sorted between the owners in the best interests of both dogs with no human hysterics.

Trouble is the smaller dog or one with the worst injuries usually gets the sympathy even if they started it.

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31893

PostSubject: Re: Horrible start to the day   Wed 16 May 2012, 6:23 pm

Not sure the police will intervene for a dog on dog attack

Hope the little one is OK

Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Horrible start to the day   Wed 16 May 2012, 6:27 pm

Quote :
Trouble is the smaller dog or one with the worst injuries usually gets the sympathy even if they started it.

I was thinking this the other night. We took Bertie with us when we met some mates in the pub & Bertie played for most of the evening with 3 terriers. The owner of 2 of the terriers obviously knows her dogs aren't perfect & kept telling the female off when she got stroppy. The female, (mum - labradoodle & dad - jrt / chihuahua x) was gorgeous (& i'm not a huge fan of little dogs) but a bit stroppy & she had a go at all 3 of the male dogs at some point. Also, at some point one of the little dogs bit Bertie's ear, leaving a nasty scratch! :(

The thing is, Bertie was perfectly behaved & lay down he was at the same height & rolled over to let them bite his neck. When the terriers got grumpy, with him or each other, he just walked off & sat next to me, but I hate to imagine what would've happened if he'd grumped at them...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Horrible start to the day   

Back to top Go down

Horrible start to the day
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1