Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Poor little Jack! Good news!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 635

PostSubject: Poor little Jack! Good news!   Sat 19 May 2012, 8:44 am

I'm honestly not sure whether or not this was the same incident I saw on Wednesday morning - & I REALLY hope it was, cos that'd mean there was only the ONE incident - but Jack, the yorkie who is Bertie's best friend, was attacked by a staffy some time this week! Poor Jack is in a bad way, although thankfully he's going to be ok - nasty deep wounds on his face, neck & chest & Colin, his owner has bad bites on his hands & arms.

Steve's dad saw Colin this morning while he was walking Bertie & it was absolutely chucking it down at the time, so they didn't talk for long at all. It sounds like it the same dog - Colin mentioned the house number.

However, on Weds morning I didn't see Colin & I could've sworn that the owner of the small dog was a teenager, but then there were quite a few people gathered round trying to help & we didn't watch the whole thing - as soon as we realised people were trying to help we stopped looking out of the window. So Colin could have turned up at the end.

The attack on Jack was definitely reported to the police.

Last edited by tifla on Mon 04 Jun 2012, 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31891

PostSubject: Re: Poor little Jack! Good news!   Sat 19 May 2012, 8:56 am

Poor Jack, hope he recovers from his ordeal

Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Poor little Jack! Good news!   Sat 19 May 2012, 9:24 am

I know! Jack's such a sweet little dog, but he's feisty & full of personality - I wonder if this was what got him in to trouble?

I know this sounds awful, but I'm even more relieved now that we didn't have to go over to help. I'd grabbed one of the spare leads & some blankets & towels - not 100% sure why - think I was thinking we could wrap the small dog up, & Steve was shutting Bertie in the bedroom when we realised there wre already quite a few people involved.

Feel a bit guilty about feeling so relieved. :((

Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: Poor little Jack! Good news!   Sat 19 May 2012, 9:47 am

Poor Jack hope he's ok x

Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: Poor little Jack! Good news!   Sat 19 May 2012, 10:06 am

Hope Jack makes a full recovery xx
Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Poor little Jack! Good news!   Sat 19 May 2012, 10:21 am

I hope so, too!

I hope he isn't petrified of other dogs now. Another dog from round here was attacked by a pair of staffies a while ago. The springer used to be a really bouncy, friendly dog. The staffies belonged to a couple who fitted the negative stereotype of staffy owners & their dogs were always off lead. They just ran down a bank & went for the springer who had been nowhere near them. Since then the springer has been really nervous of all other dogs - it's had quite a few dogs go for it since then - guess the other dogs are picking up on it's scared, unpredictable vibes.

I feel so sorry for all 3 dogs - the springer was a mess & his eyesight was damaged. The staffies were destroyed.

It's obvious who should have been punished, though.
Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: Poor little Jack! Good news!   Sat 19 May 2012, 2:11 pm

poor jack hope he is better soon
Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Poor little Jack! Good news!   Sat 19 May 2012, 11:32 pm

Ok. It turns out there was just the 1 attack & Jack was the 'terrier'.

Unfortunately, it's likely the staffy is going to be put down in the next week - it not only bit Jack, but also bit Colin, (Jack's owner) badly several times - including his face & nose.

I want to visit Colin tomorrow but don't want to get in to an anti-staffy conversation &, hand on heart, I think the owner of the staffy should be punished rather than her dog being pts. Her response to the incident? Buying & drinking lotsa cheap cider.

Don't know what to do - any ideas folks??? xx
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Poor little Jack! Good news!   Sun 20 May 2012, 9:32 am

Be truthful with him and stand by your beleifs. I am sure Colin is upset at the injuries to himself and his dog but he will have had time to think things through by now and if he does feel this way then it is pointless trying to change his views.
Hopefully as he knows Bertie he will not be of the view that all staffies are the same

Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Poor little Jack! Good news!   Sun 20 May 2012, 9:45 am

Yeah - Colin still loves Bertie & thinks 'he's a lovely, lovely dog'.

It's just such a shame Jo - that staffy's been lovely up until now, even though he belongs to an alcoholic woman who is usually drunk when she walks him, even at 7.30am. She doesn't seem to have trained him & the poor dog has spent loads of time standing around while his owner & her scuzzy friends hurl abuse at passers by & fight each other over arguments about drugs, booze & who slept whose partner...

I'd love to steal him & hide him away, but can't risk it - imagine the bloodbath if he went for Bertie! :((

Bless him, he was stood behind their gate the other day, wagging hopefully at everybody walking past.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Poor little Jack! Good news!   Sun 20 May 2012, 10:32 am

Who has decided he is being put to sleep? Have the police insisted on it or has she decided to do it?

Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Poor little Jack! Good news!   Sun 20 May 2012, 10:35 am

Hm, I'm not sure. Until you asked I'd just assumed it was the police, but now I realise I don't know. Colin's out at the mo - will try to catch up with him later. I will try to find out.

I'm wondering now - would it all be happening so quickly if it was the police?
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Poor little Jack! Good news!   Sun 20 May 2012, 10:47 am

Im not sure Sue, I imagine the police would only be involved if Colin has reported the dog as dangerous.
They tend not to get involved in dog on dog attacks

Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Poor little Jack! Good news!   Sun 20 May 2012, 10:58 am

Colin definitely reported it to the police, including the fact he also needed medical attention for the bites to his hands & face.

Steve has texted me to say he'll visit Colin, cos he thinks I'm too emotional & that I'll get upset if Colin talks about the staffy being put down.
Back to top Go down
K999
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 1087

PostSubject: Re: Poor little Jack! Good news!   Sun 20 May 2012, 7:44 pm

I always say a dog is a dog first (not a breed) and breeds mean very little to me, so don't think of this dog as a staffy, it could have been any type of dog, it certainly didn't display behaviours typical of a typical staffy, it is clearly a troubled dog with a shocking education behind it.
I wouldn't put too much faith in the police but if you want them to take action badger the hell out of them and demand action!

Something really important you can get involved with is Jacks rehabilitation, next time Jack goes out for a walk, especially in the area the attack happened, he may well now have very negative associations and begin to panic as merely being there or when another dog appears.
The best way through this is to set the perfect example, be cool calm and confident and keep Jack relaxed and loose lead. It sounds harsh but act as if it never happened, he'll be looking to those he trusts for reassurance and you give this to a dog by being calm and confident. If you symphasize with him you are awknowledging something bad happened and therefore confirming to Jack that there is a good reason behind his negative association. If you and Colin get him walking with dogs as soon as possible Jack will soon regain any lost trust in strange dogs and be back to his normal self in no time. If you forget the past he will!
Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Poor little Jack! Good news!   Mon 21 May 2012, 7:22 am

Thanks for that Adam - it's difficult to avoid the place where it happened - 2 doors away from the staffy's (don't know his name - would use it if I did) home & 4 or 5 from Jack's. I'll also pass this on to Colin so he can work with Jack.

It would be a terrible shame if this affected Jack's confidence. I've used the word feisty to describe him - I don't mean he yaps at bigger dogs, or anything like that. He approaches dogs politely but if any dog, no matter how big or how lively, invites him to play he's up for it - so you'll see him on the green charging around with the mastiffs.

I completely agree that this shouldn't be seen as a 'staffy attack' but one dog attacking another & said the same in one of my posts just after it happened on Wed morn. Unfortunately, it's being viewed around here as 'a typical staffy, going for another dog'.

There are so many staffies & staffy crosses round here, & so many of them belong to people who probably shouldn't have an animal. Unfortunately, these dogs frequently behave in the way you'd expect untrained, uncontrolled dogs who live in very stressful situations to behave.

Sadly, this is the general neighbourhood perception of the breed. When this happens nobody ever thinks of the lovely staffies who live here - Stella's worst behaviour is that she sometimes barrels in to people when she's excited to see them.

I've heard quite a few very anti-staffy comments recently - some of them directed at us & Bertie.

It'll blow over but it's really annoying.

And then there's the issue of the poor dog who's probably going to be put down.
Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Poor little Jack! Good news!   Mon 04 Jun 2012, 11:45 am

Good news! Just seen the staffy who bit Jack being walked - so clearly he hasn't been pts. Yay. spinner smile

And, Jack is recovering well, too. spinner smile
x
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: Poor little Jack! Good news!   Mon 04 Jun 2012, 12:21 pm

That's good news !!
Back to top Go down
jakies13
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 7512

PostSubject: Re: Poor little Jack! Good news!   Mon 04 Jun 2012, 4:11 pm

That's fantastic news on both sides. Glad the staffie hasn't been pts.
Maybe this will give the owners a severe kick up the backside and make them act more responsibly! But I suppose only time will tell

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Poor little Jack! Good news!   Mon 04 Jun 2012, 5:33 pm

Good news all round and lets hope his owner sits up and takes notice now

Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: Poor little Jack! Good news!   Mon 04 Jun 2012, 10:20 pm

Glad jack's doing well and like Jo says hopefully the staffies owner will be more responsible now x

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Poor little Jack! Good news!   

Back to top Go down

Poor little Jack! Good news!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1