Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Dog bite prevention week

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 635

PostSubject: Dog bite prevention week   Mon 21 May 2012, 1:51 pm

This is in the states - do we have anything similar?

Advice to support the week...

http://www.theotherendoftheleash.com/preventing-dog-bites
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23426

PostSubject: Re: Dog bite prevention week   Mon 21 May 2012, 7:56 pm

I haven't heard of anything in the UK but I maybe wrong :) xx
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31893

PostSubject: Re: Dog bite prevention week   Mon 21 May 2012, 8:21 pm

I haven't either and I am not sure who would take it on board.

Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dog bite prevention week   Mon 21 May 2012, 8:30 pm

I was just curious - there are so many 'such & such weeks' that I know I haven't heard of them all. I was just wondering if I'd missed one - well, I guess I've missed loads - I think there's a national prune week...

...& I know everybody on here is aware of the issues in the article but I think it's useful to have this sort of reminder, if nothing else it's useful when I talk to the kids round here about not hurling themselves at dogs - have to stop them grabbing Bertie & sticking their face next to his...Yikes.

Mind you, at the moment there is a great deal of wariness about staffies round here - one kid said to me that 'staffies kill people & dogs'!

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31893

PostSubject: Re: Dog bite prevention week   Mon 21 May 2012, 8:38 pm

tifla wrote:

Mind you, at the moment there is a great deal of wariness about staffies round here - one kid said to me that 'staffies kill people & dogs'!

banghead banghead banghead

Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dog bite prevention week   Mon 21 May 2012, 8:50 pm

I know - I'm trying to encourage people to think positively about staffies but this kid was about 7 (I'd guess) & I can only assume that he was a parroting an opinion he's heard someone else express.

It's really sad, he was stroking Bertie quite happily when a staffy went past on the other side of the road & that was when he said 'staffies kill...'. I asked him if he likes Bertie & he said yes, 'cos he's always waggy'. He looked shocked when I told him Bertie was a sort of staffy.

It's horrible & I wish people would think about what they're saying - it doesn't seem to occur to them that if they make their kids scared of dogs, or a particular breed of dog, they are more likely to be bitten.

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Dog bite prevention week   Mon 21 May 2012, 10:26 pm

I once walked past a woman with a small child with Ruby on the lead and behaving impeccably and she said "Come away, that dog will eat you!". I was so shocked I stood still and gaped at her back open mouthed!

Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: Dog bite prevention week   Tue 22 May 2012, 8:34 am

[quote="Staffylover"]
tifla wrote:

banghead banghead not fair

Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dog bite prevention week   Tue 22 May 2012, 8:51 am

Blimey Jan - people are so quick to condemn, aren't they? And so blumming rude to express their ill informed opinions!

The trouble is, I could easily imagine many of the kids round here getting bitten. Many have very little awareness of how to behave around dogs...

One kid came running up towards Bertie at full speed, waving his arms in the air & shouting 'Patch! Patch!' - apparently Bertie looks like a dog they know. Bertie started wiggling & bouncing so I stepped in between but the kid kept trying to get to Bertie. I don't for one second think Bertie would go for a child but he could easily knock one over & he's clumsy so I can also imagine him headbutting a kid. Anyway, the mum shouted from way up the road 'we have a dog, let him say hello'!!! She was a bit stroppy when I walked off in the other direction.

Some of the kids, who behave like the one above, are allowed to play with their dogs without adult supervision.

I can't help thinking it's just a matter of time & then there'll be an injured kid & a dog which has to be destroyed... banghead
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: Dog bite prevention week   Tue 22 May 2012, 9:26 am

I do worry about kids running up to mine as they don't live with kids and very rarely see them.

Scariest one we ever had was when Maizie was still very young we walked past a dad and his little girl - she was about 4 years old and she literally ran and threw herself on top of Maizie and hugged her pushing her to the ground. She had her face right in Maizies face shouting "ello oggy"

Luckily Maizie just rolled over showing her tummy with her legs waving in the air but my heart sunk into my feet.

The dad wasn't bothered and just said oh she loves dogs !!!!! I like kids to be confident and not be frightened of dogs but to be honest that really worried me.

I think it's really important that kids need to be taught not to approach dogs in the wrong way without scaring them into being scared of dogs.
Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dog bite prevention week   Tue 22 May 2012, 9:39 am

Some parents really should pay more attention! I can imagine how scary that must have been for you.

A few years ago we were walking Midge (lab x & v soft & friendly) round the foreshore when someone walking in front dropped their chips on the floor & just kept on walking. Midge was straight in their & this time we didn't stop her cos chips were her absolute favourite food in the whole world & we knew she didn't have much longer. We were watching Midge when suddenly a toddler appeared & grabbed hold of Midge. To this day I have no idea how come neither Steve or I managed to intercept her & her family just stood & watched as she got hold of Midge & tried to stick her face in hers & then fell over on to the chips.

It was lovely Midge - so she looked a little surprised but took advantage of the situation & started to lick the chip covered little girl.

Steve said something along the lines of 'you shouldn't let your little girl walk up to dogs like that' & nearly got punched by the dad! banghead
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dog bite prevention week   Tue 22 May 2012, 9:44 am

You wonder sometimes if it's worth saying anything to anyone these days !!

Love the story of Midge & the chips though spinner smile
Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dog bite prevention week   Tue 22 May 2012, 9:54 am

She was such a wonderful dog & if you said 'stop scrounging' to her she would - unless it was chips & then she just couldn't tear herself away! lol

I'm rubbish - it's 28 months since we had her pts at the age of 16 & I still well up when I think about her.
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dog bite prevention week   Tue 22 May 2012, 10:13 am

Awww group hug 16 years is a fantastic age.

They all leave so many fond memories but the oldies that we are lucky enough to have for a full lifetime like Midge are kind of special xx
Back to top Go down
tifla
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dog bite prevention week   Tue 22 May 2012, 10:15 am

Yeah - we had her from 7 weeks...

Thanks! group hug
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Dog bite prevention week   Wed 23 May 2012, 12:50 pm

The heartache softens after a while but they are still there in your everyday thoughts group hug
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dog bite prevention week   

Back to top Go down

Dog bite prevention week
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1