Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Extender leads

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Extender leads   Wed 23 May 2012, 5:31 pm

Does anyone use them?

I bought one to use at my new place until I get a gate put up but decided to use it on a walk yesterday to try it out.
It was nice that Enzo could have a bit more reign, he still walked next to me which was good but I just didnt feel like i had proper control, I didn't trust it when I was sat waiting to cross the road (Enz was sat not me lol), but it was good that I could keep walking when he stopped to sniff things.

What does everyone else feel about them?
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31891

PostSubject: Re: Extender leads   Wed 23 May 2012, 5:35 pm

I have used one for a couple of years and once you have the knack of using one I think they are great. I tend to use mine when I know it will be difficult for Reuben to be off lead and usually lock it when walking down the road and then release it is the safer areas.

It is very rare Reubs pulls on it and I bought the one for a 50+kg dog so I don't really worry about it snapping.

If I recall mine is the 7M one

Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: Extender leads   Wed 23 May 2012, 5:56 pm

We started using them when we went somewhere we didn't know with the boat so they could still run about. I found they took a bit of getting used to.

I didn't use them at first near roads etc as I found them a bit odd - I was worried about pressing the button wrong and giving them too much lead but you do get used to them spinner smile
Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: Extender leads   Wed 23 May 2012, 6:07 pm

I use one for Cassie when on walks where I know she cant go off lead, but it gives her a bit more freedom, I always carry an ordinary lead with me to use when in town or crossing roads etc.

they do take a bit of getting used to but I like it now
Back to top Go down
stepys1
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2354

PostSubject: Re: Extender leads   Wed 23 May 2012, 7:34 pm

We use one although was told not to. We've actually adapted ours so there's a normal lead at the bottom (hard to explain) this helps when walking on the paths. We have a high dog population where we live so it's not always easy to let him off so this gives some freedom. I've just bought a 15 metre training line but then I'll have to carry two leads with me when out, might have to take a ruck sack lol.

I quite like them but dog trainers seem to hate them. I can see that you need to be careful with them as they don't seem the strongest of things to have a staff on the end of
Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Re: Extender leads   Wed 23 May 2012, 10:27 pm

Yea I feel like I need to take 2 leads with me.

When Enzo meets a new dog it's important that I keep the lead loose but with an extender it isn't that easy to do that.

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Extender leads   Wed 23 May 2012, 10:56 pm

I'm just so rubbish at using one that I don't bother. I agree with the principle of them though, just because I'm rubbish at them doesn't mean everyone else is spinner smile
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: Extender leads   Wed 23 May 2012, 11:54 pm

Good idea
yep I have a couple of Flexi leads that I use.

they are all tape ones, and for large dogs too. Have been using one with Diesel as he has to be lead walked at the moment - its good to give him a bit of freedom.

Also have one in the caravan for when we go away.

But like Allie - I tend to always take a normal lead and clip it round my neck just in case i need it.

although One of the leads weve had since kai was a pup and never had any hassle with it.

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31891

PostSubject: Re: Extender leads   Thu 24 May 2012, 6:44 am

When I walk the dogs at the shelter I put them on the tuff stuff lead, this has a ring on the handle and then I clip the extender to the ring so they get another few feet. When we do back on the roads to get back to the shelter I dont need to swap Leads as I just hold both in one hand

Back to top Go down
jakies13
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 7512

PostSubject: Re: Extender leads   Thu 24 May 2012, 9:00 am

I do use them but feel a little unsure about the strength of them. I also feel the same as you Sel and feel like I don't have enough control. I normallye use them for our trips to nature reserves and beach when we want to sit and have a rest and I know the dogs are near me x

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Extender leads   

Back to top Go down

Extender leads
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1