Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

He keeps getting me up at 3am!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stepys1
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2364

PostSubject: He keeps getting me up at 3am!!   Wed 06 Jun 2012, 6:44 pm

Over the last month Quattro has been getting me up to let him out of his crate. I normally get up at 6:30 and let him in for cuddles but a few weeks back he started waking up between 5 and 5:30, I thought it was because of the light mornings but the front room is so dark from the curtains. Now its got as early as 3 am. I ignore his crying as long as possible, this morning for an hour before finally getting up as I so needed to sleep! I've spoke to the guy who lives below us as I thought maybe he'd started to get up early and Quattro may be hearing this but no :-(.

I've been trying to think of anything that's changed but nothing I can think of. The only thing that happened about that time was him getting attacked by that dog. Which I may add has left him very dog selective with medium to big dogs which is a whole different post!

We would put his crate in our room but he's such a fidget that we'd get even less sleep. O and we now can't leave him out of his crate because of his new talent of opening doors lol.

Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23449

PostSubject: Re: He keeps getting me up at 3am!!   Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:16 pm

Hi Honey

OMG Rocco does the same to me hun - and what I started to do was say NO - go back to bed -

but if he were persistent then I used to let him out - gradually over weeks he did stop doing it - that was until the other week when a damn hedgehog was in the garden - now he wants to go out at 3.30am again arghhhhh xx

WOWSA Quattro is one smart poochie xx
Back to top Go down
stepys1
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: He keeps getting me up at 3am!!   Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:24 pm

I've tried the no and go back to bed but he then gets louder and I don't want to wake the neighbours think

.......after my post the other week I think he's hit the terrible twos!!

We don't want him sleeping in the room all night so I'll have to think quick as he'll be going to the dog sitter soon and I don't want him waking him up
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: He keeps getting me up at 3am!!   Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:57 pm

Turn your handles upside down and try leaving the crate open?

Back to top Go down
stepys1
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: He keeps getting me up at 3am!!   Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:04 pm

The only problem with this is he will try so hard to get out of the door that he'll wake everyone up lol. Also the reason for his crate is because he'll need to sleep in one at the dog sitters and also he would mess in the house sometimes and the crate stops this. I don't want him getting out of the habit of sleeping in his crate ahhh!!
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: He keeps getting me up at 3am!!   Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:08 pm

Is his crate covered?

Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: He keeps getting me up at 3am!!   Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:35 pm

A little bit of tough love might work here - get up let him out and then put him back in his crate. Then go back to bed and ignore him.

Letting him into your bed might have taught him that getting you up got him a reward with cuddles ?

Might pay to start this on a Saturday when you have the luxury of a lie in lol!

Feed him earlier in the evening and let him out at the last possible opportunity so he has every chance of not needing the loo as an excuse to get you all up ?

Back to top Go down
jakies13
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 7512

PostSubject: Re: He keeps getting me up at 3am!!   Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:03 pm

I agree with Liz, tough love seems to be required.
just be firm with him and be persistent don't back down as he will know he's won. He will give up sooner or later but it will be worth it in the end x
as Jo has asked is his crate covered?
If it isn't if you cover it over with a blanket over the top and sides it will make it more like a den and may make him a bit more secure about sleeping in there x

Back to top Go down
stepys1
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: He keeps getting me up at 3am!!   Wed 06 Jun 2012, 11:07 pm

HI all, yes his crate is covered, sides and top. I did actually think if he does it tonight I was going to let him out, and do his bed routine again. Put him in, give him his usual biscuit and then close the crate and leave the room.

......I might try it tonight

Thanks all
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: He keeps getting me up at 3am!!   Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:16 am

Sounds like a good plan - Good luck - hope it works out spinner smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: He keeps getting me up at 3am!!   

Back to top Go down

He keeps getting me up at 3am!!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Staffiezone :: Dog Chat, Help and Advice :: General or Random Staffie, Bullie and Dog Chat :: Training & Behaviour-
Jump to: