Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

To foster or not...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Caesar's Mum
Silver Forum Member
Silver Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 318

PostSubject: To foster or not...   Mon 09 Jul 2012, 10:26 am

My partner and I are considering offering to foster for the staffy rescue that we got Caesar from. On our facebook feeds we get endless pictures of needy dogs and it does melt our hearts!

We are slightly unsure though as we are scared of upsetting our resident dogs - they have such a close bond! Both our dogs are neutered males so feel we could offer to foster a female and both Toby and Caesar are dog friendly(Caesar does sometimes need careful introductions to large dogs but a walk together normaly works for him).

Being the school holidays (I'm a teacher) we feel this would be an ideal time to introduce a new dog into the house as I would be around al day to help deal with any issues between them.

Are there any fosters out there that can offer advice? Should we?
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 9711

PostSubject: Re: To foster or not...   Mon 09 Jul 2012, 10:56 am

We are in the same boat as you Kirsty.
Wanting to help but not knowing what to do for the best.
Although our local rescue has only 6 dogs up for foster good news really but none suitable for a companion for Dell.
We would like to foster an older quiet dog as Dell is a very laid back boy.
I saw an older boy on here the other day but he is at Gatwick but what if we fostered him and they didn't get on, Dell must come first.
keith believes we will have to have 24 /7 commitment but I think we could slot another dog in to our home, with all we have to offer.
My son soon to be out of the army is wanting a youngish Bitch to share his home in the near future and he's decided to foster to find the right dog.
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: To foster or not...   Mon 09 Jul 2012, 11:44 am

Hi Kirsty, I volunteer and foster for SSBTR and have never had any problems, although I do carefully pick which dogs that I will foster.

I haven't taken any recently as I now have four of my own.

When we did most of the fostering I had two neutered boys and we had mainly male pups around 6 months of age. we then took on two abandoned 5week old pups (one of which my sister kept)

We also had a 6month old male pup after I got one of my bitches.

I would still foster in an emergency but would have to take the right dog.

I think for yourself I would do the same just put conditions on what age/sex you'd like to foster depending on your own dogs.

Younger dogs are easier as its easier to do introductions and they also get homed quicker.

Back to top Go down
stepys1
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2333

PostSubject: Re: To foster or not...   Mon 09 Jul 2012, 11:48 am

We also keep thinking about it but have some resignations like you guys. If it did work then I think it would really upset Quattro (as well as us) when it was time for the dog to go to its forever home. He likes his routine & I think this may throw him off sorts for a while.

I think it all depends on how your dogs would cope. Quattros always been an only dog so would be a big change for him.

If not now then defo one day, maybe when Quattro is a bit older although another dog may be able to teach him a thing or two right now lol
Back to top Go down
Caesar's Mum
Silver Forum Member
Silver Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: To foster or not...   Mon 09 Jul 2012, 12:05 pm

Thanks - I might get in touch with Fiona(she did our home check for Caesar) and see what she thinks......I look at the pictures of Jane on the SSBTR facebook page and think how well adjusted her dogs must be to all the many fosters she has!

Craigs sister is also considering rescuing a staffy from them once all her holidays are over - we would probably have her dog the 2 days she works so it might be useful to see how well our 2 cope with another dog visiting(would be great if our foster dog ends up with his sister too!!!).
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: To foster or not...   Mon 09 Jul 2012, 12:40 pm

Fiona's really nice and im sure she'll be able to help you pick a suitable foster - good luck with it all x

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31832

PostSubject: Re: To foster or not...   Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:03 pm

If your dogs are OK and you think that you can let them go when they get a new home then I would say go for it

Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 15686

PostSubject: Re: To foster or not...   Mon 09 Jul 2012, 6:50 pm

I think SSBTR are good and will certainly answer any questions you have.

Having the sisters dog over for a few days is a good start and you can see how it goes for more than just a few hours.

I used to foster and it is very rewarding and you get to meet the people that are taking them on after you have done some of the work for them, like settling them back into a home environment.

I also used to do weekend fostering which gave the dogs a chance out of kennels for a weekend - hard knowing they were going back to kennels on the Monday, but good to get them out for a few days.

Good luck with it all and keep us updated.

Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: To foster or not...   Mon 09 Jul 2012, 7:38 pm

I see youve decided to foster :) Well Done ! x

Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23354

PostSubject: Re: To foster or not...   Mon 09 Jul 2012, 8:09 pm

woot Fantastic News well done you - xx
Back to top Go down
Caesar's Mum
Silver Forum Member
Silver Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: To foster or not...   Tue 10 Jul 2012, 7:48 am

Have been thinking about it for months so decided to bite the bullet and volunteer, I don't expect it to be easy and will probably be on here with all sorts of questions for everyone!
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23354

PostSubject: Re: To foster or not...   Tue 10 Jul 2012, 12:16 pm

We will all support you 100% - so proud and chuffed for you all - Well Done xx
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: To foster or not...   Tue 10 Jul 2012, 12:37 pm

Good on you woot
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: To foster or not...   Tue 10 Jul 2012, 1:16 pm

Well done Kirsty, keep us updated on progress x

Back to top Go down
Caesar's Mum
Silver Forum Member
Silver Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: To foster or not...   Tue 10 Jul 2012, 3:55 pm

I will do - heading down to my parents this weekend and into the start of next week but when I get a foster expect plenty of pics! Lol
Back to top Go down
Caesar's Mum
Silver Forum Member
Silver Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: To foster or not...   Fri 20 Jul 2012, 2:01 pm

So we are getting our first foster on Sunday - eek! A 10 month bitch called Roxy.....she hopefully already has a home to go to but is coming to us until she is spayed as the new home has an entire male.

Planning on going to collect her then taking all the dogs for a lead walk together - taking turns at being leader so they can all sniff each other without any head to head initially, how do you normally introduce fosters? I'm probably being over cautious with introductions but just want it to go smoothly!

Can already see Toby and Roxy being hyper together 24/7!!! Both energetic overgrown pups!
Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: To foster or not...   Fri 20 Jul 2012, 4:24 pm

think you have is sussed with the walk, that is what \i did with my fosterdog, I went to pic the dog up from kennels and then my hubby brought Dinky to the place we were going to walk and we just walked together not allowing much interaction at first and then allowing sniffing etc, good luck and well done x

and I always seperated them when I wasnt around and at night

spinner smile
Back to top Go down
Caesar's Mum
Silver Forum Member
Silver Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: To foster or not...   Fri 20 Jul 2012, 4:35 pm

Have been told she is cage trained so should be easy enough to split them all at night - luckily I should be around for most of the time she's here before the schools go back!

Expect lots of pics once she's here! But until then here's what I know so far:

http://www.staffierescuescotland.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=476:roxy-red&catid=11:available-staffies&Itemid=28
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: To foster or not...   Fri 20 Jul 2012, 5:37 pm

She is gorgeous Kirsty, I agree that you are doing the right thing in relation the walk. I would make sure they are all very tired before taking them back into the house so they are nice and relaxed.
I am sure everything will be OK but may be worth investing in a couple of child gates if you don't already use them so if you do need to seperate them initially you can do it with them being able to see each other and get used to each other in the home
Looking forward to hearing how you get on x

Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: To foster or not...   Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:31 pm

she is lovely x
Back to top Go down
Caesar's Mum
Silver Forum Member
Silver Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: To foster or not...   Sun 22 Jul 2012, 7:52 pm

Both me and the dogs are totally exhausted.....

So I picked up Roxy and then with help walked her with Caesar and Toby, couldn't have gone better - even let them off lead and they were fantastic together. We all walked into the house one big happy pack.......you can tell there is a but coming can't you!!!

In the house they were all great - went and lay down together for a while and had a snooze - Roxy and Toby even curled up together...

Then they all got up and I noticed that Roxy is a very dominant lady...she kept sitting on top of Toby(my top dog) and he was even submitting to her but she just wouldn't leave him alone.....Caesar was keeping out of it....after a while it all settled down again so took them out the back and sat with them for a while.

Roxy was transfixed on chasing Toby again.....he was ignoring her but Caesar started to play with her....lots of good play- bowing and taking turns to chase but never touching each other, Toby looked relieved and went inside for some peace and quiet. Caesar tired quickly and lay down in the garden whilst Roxy had a sniff around - then she approached him from behind and literally pounced on him aggressively(his eyes were shut and was napping so didn't see it coming!). I managed to separate them both(both have a few scratches but nothing visible) and have given them time apart(Roxy is cage trained). I have introduced them again on leads and they both sat at my feet quite happily but again Roxy was transfixed on wanting to dominate Toby(who yet again was on his back submitting to her).

With the positive vibes between her and Caesar I've now put them all to their beds to rest for a wee while in the hope if she is less tired she won't be so grumpy.....

anyone?
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: To foster or not...   Sun 22 Jul 2012, 8:06 pm

Its very early days and they will all be sussing each other out. I would keep play to a minimum for the rest of the day and take them for a long walk in the morning so they are tired and see how they are at home tomorrow.

When is she being spayed?

Back to top Go down
Caesar's Mum
Silver Forum Member
Silver Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: To foster or not...   Sun 22 Jul 2012, 8:15 pm

She is getting spayed on Wednesday and yep play is off limits just now with all toys etc hidden.....currently have her on one side of me sleeping and Caesar on the other sleeping, with Toby with my OH so all is calm for now!
Back to top Go down
Caesar's Mum
Silver Forum Member
Silver Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: To foster or not...   Sat 28 Jul 2012, 8:24 pm

Wow having three dogs in the house is keeping me on my toes!!!

Roxy got spayed on wednesday and is making a fab recovery! Her and Caesar are getting along just fine but still cant let Toby and her loose at the same time as she just will not leave him alone.....keeps running and attacking him, he's afraid of her and just keeps out of her way! Luckily I have a friend whose kids love Toby and they are wanting to get fit so have been taking Toby out with them for walks most afternoons - he was even at their church BBQ today!

Hopefully Roxy's potential owners are bringing their dog to meet her this week and all going well she will have a new home by this time next week. Must admit I do have my reservations as feel she would be better as an only dog in the household - don't think she has ever had boundaries before and is pretty fearless of everything!!!
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: To foster or not...   Sat 28 Jul 2012, 8:32 pm

Gorgeous pic of the three of them, I hope it works out with her new owners next week. Will she stay with you in foster if it does not work out?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To foster or not...   

Back to top Go down

To foster or not...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next