Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Help! Pet boarding!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Namadaja
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female
Number of posts : 118

PostSubject: Help! Pet boarding!   Thu 26 Jul 2012, 1:45 pm

I can't find the post, but aaaaaages ago someone mentioned a good pet boarding company where your pet goes to stay in the boarders home rather than going to kennels. Can anyone help? We go away in 10 days and I am still not convinced Rosy should be in kennels, if we don't sort something soon I will be smuggling her into Butlins!!!!

We are in Wiltshire. Thanks in advance!!

spinner smile
Back to top Go down
getcarter
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2019

PostSubject: Re: Help! Pet boarding!   Thu 26 Jul 2012, 3:08 pm

I can't help with boarding but I've got someone booked in to come to my house to housesit my dogs while we're away, not cheap but after having our garage broken into it gives us peace of mind.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31832

PostSubject: Re: Help! Pet boarding!   Thu 26 Jul 2012, 10:25 pm

Sorry I cant help as no where near you. May be worth asking at your vets Michelle if they have any recommendations

Back to top Go down
Namadaja
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help! Pet boarding!   Mon 30 Jul 2012, 7:13 am

I did another search for kennels in the hope there was something I had missed....and I had! There is a kennels not far from here and for some reason it had never come up on any of my previous trawls. I went over unannounced and had a look round, the owner is lovely, the kennel manager has worked in rescue, they have a quiet section for dogs that might be stressed, they agreed to give Rosy the same one that she has on her trials, they are happy for her to take all her bits and bobs, happy for me to ring in each day....I had a good look round, very clean, only 2 kennels that needed cleaning out, 1 dog had just left and the other left whilst we were there. Exercise area was totally clean. Dogs go out into the exercise area, looks just like a normal back garden, for about 20 minutes at a time and they do it on a cycle so once they get to the end of the dogs they just start again all through the day (not allowed when its hot!).

Sounds ok? I have a much better feel for this than the other local one which was really noisy and a bit smelly and the exercise area was a big wire area like a rabbit run, also they only had wire between each of he kennels, this one I have found has proper walls with wire right at the top....was concerned the other dogs would be in her face a bit.

Shes off for a trial day board today, if that goes well then she will do an over night later this week and then go for the week monday.....fingers crossed!!! I hope she likes it as much as I do lol
Back to top Go down
getcarter
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2019

PostSubject: Re: Help! Pet boarding!   Mon 30 Jul 2012, 7:17 am

SOunds lovely and that they really care about the dogs, also if you're relaxed and happy you will enjoy yourself so much more on holiday!
Back to top Go down
Namadaja
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help! Pet boarding!   Mon 30 Jul 2012, 7:24 am

Thanks, oh I am so nervous, I have terrible butterflies! I need to give myself a kick up the bum, Rosy really picks up on my moods and I don't want to upset her when she finally stops snoring and gets out of bed! Last time I was stressed and then we went out on a walk, boy did she tell off every single dog, even her doggy friend Sam! Oops!

The kennel owner is going to think I am mad, I'm going over with everything she will take on her weeks stay so that shes totally comfy....bed, raised feeder, her 2 fave toys, treats.....
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Help! Pet boarding!   Mon 30 Jul 2012, 7:49 am

Sounds a nice place Michelle, I'd be happy to leave Ruby and Elsdon if they are that well cared for. You won't be stressed on your holiday then.
Back to top Go down
Namadaja
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help! Pet boarding!   Mon 30 Jul 2012, 12:23 pm

oooh I've sat down and now my mind is rushing! I keep going to speak to her or let out into the sun!!! She went in to reception well, she sat and waited to go into the kennel area, lots of tail wagging.....I was made up....until we got to her kennel and she dug her feet in and tried back out of her collar! managed to get her in and I squeezed out, she jumped up at the door as if to say don't leave me! must remember how excited she will be at 4:30 when I go back!
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help! Pet boarding!   Mon 30 Jul 2012, 6:01 pm

Awww hun how hard for you, that is one thing I could never do but then I have to sacrifice holidays abroad etc.

How did she get on and more to the point how did you cope?

Back to top Go down
Namadaja
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help! Pet boarding!   Mon 30 Jul 2012, 6:27 pm

Aww she was quite calm when we went to her kennel, she had her nose under the door and bum in the air, same stance she uses to look under our gate! I put my shoe next to her nose and she got soooo excited and was tail wagging and leaping lol. very happy to see me and couldn't wait to get in the car. have booked her for an overnight Thurs/Fri eeek. She's currently asleep on my foot lol.

I coped ok, I only got 2 hours sleep with a poorly daughter last night, sleep deprivation helped!!
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help! Pet boarding!   Mon 30 Jul 2012, 7:32 pm

Glad she is OK and hope your daughter feels better and you manage some sleep tonight x

Back to top Go down
Namadaja
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help! Pet boarding!   Mon 30 Jul 2012, 7:57 pm

Thank you :-)
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help! Pet boarding!   Mon 30 Jul 2012, 9:58 pm

I don't know if it will help but when we boarded Ruby and Elsdon with our trainers they said to just walk in, leave the dog and walk out, no fussing or messing about? They will just settle then. When we went back for them they just looked at us as if to say, oh you are back then spinner smile
Back to top Go down
Namadaja
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help! Pet boarding!   Mon 30 Jul 2012, 10:08 pm

Had a go at putting her in and leaving with no fuss but the lady shut me in to stop rosy getting out and I couldn't make a quick exit lol I did look back and saw her jump up and watch me leave, that was tough! I will maybe try handing her over in the reception on the next visit, as long as she's got her bed they can pop her other stuff in once she's settled a bit :-)
Back to top Go down
Namadaja
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help! Pet boarding!   Tue 14 Aug 2012, 7:27 pm

We both survived the week!!! Rosy shredded her bed early Sunday morning but that was due to thunder, any loud bangs and she digs up her bed furiously! I bathed her before she went to the kennels and picked her up today. Oh she pongs!!! Shes had a bath and double shampoo but still not good! So glad she's home, was really tough without her.

Dog friendly holibobs from now on, narrowboat next :-)
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23354

PostSubject: Re: Help! Pet boarding!   Tue 14 Aug 2012, 8:04 pm

Ta Da!!!!

http://www.holidays4dogs.co.uk/about-holidays-4-dogs/

I use this company and can highly recommend them - however please use your own judgement and meet the carers with the pup before hand xx
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23354

PostSubject: Re: Help! Pet boarding!   Tue 14 Aug 2012, 8:05 pm

http://www.holidays4dogs.co.uk/locations/
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help! Pet boarding!   Tue 14 Aug 2012, 9:33 pm

Glad she was OK and hope you had a nice break

We always do doggie holidys. Reuben has never been in kennels and I don't know how he would cope, probably better than I would

Back to top Go down
Namadaja
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help! Pet boarding!   Tue 14 Aug 2012, 9:57 pm

Thanks Suzie, will bookmark it in case we go away without Rosie in the future but think we will be sticking to places where she can holiday with us from now on! We booked Butlins last year fully intending to wait until we came home before starting our search for a staffie but Rosy came along in January and we fell in love! Loads of Love
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help! Pet boarding!   Tue 14 Aug 2012, 10:01 pm

We are lucky that we have Dave, our folding camper to go on holiday in. I don't miss holidays abroad and have more in this country rather than just a week anywhere, even if it pours down, it's so relaxing being away spinner smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help! Pet boarding!   

Back to top Go down

Help! Pet boarding!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1