Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

HELP Has anyone come across this before

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jakethedog
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 3690

PostSubject: HELP Has anyone come across this before   Wed 22 Aug 2012, 6:28 pm

Hi all,

We noticed over the past couple of days a little bit of spotting of blood on the botom of Abbies bed where Alfie sleeps. Ir wasn't until this morning we realised where it was coming from. The Right Hand Side of Alfie's Jowel is quite raw looking and slightly swollen, its seems to be going slightly scabby. We had noticed a couple of days ago his jowel was slightly out but never really thought much of it as it does hang down.

It is obviously bothering him as he is licking at it and this has made it quite sore looking. Took a couple of pictures as you can see it looks quite sore and was just wondering if anyone else has had this on their Staffy.

My thought is to get him an appointment at the vets on Friday after work to check it out.

Thanks
Martin.
Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 15686

PostSubject: Re: HELP Has anyone come across this before   Wed 22 Aug 2012, 6:34 pm

Kassi's hangs down like that, could he have been eating a chew or bone and scuffed it - Kass has done that before or when she has been having a scatch.

Does not taste nice but a bit of cooled boiled water with some salt might help, but yeah if no improvement, vets on Friday for Alf x

Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Re: HELP Has anyone come across this before   Wed 22 Aug 2012, 7:44 pm

Yeah if Enzo has a rough chew I've noticed it bleed before. But it usually bleeds then goes on its own, but maybe Alfie's has got a bit infected and it's irritating him.

I would do as Sandi said above and vets if it doesn't clear up
Back to top Go down
Jakethedog
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male

PostSubject: Re: HELP Has anyone come across this before   Wed 22 Aug 2012, 8:46 pm

Hi sandi & selena
thanks for the replys

ok sandi sons just done alfie with the salt water as you said so will try it again in the morning , im going to try to put a little savalon on it later do when hes half asleep that way he might leave it

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31832

PostSubject: Re: HELP Has anyone come across this before   Wed 22 Aug 2012, 9:16 pm

Reubeh has caught it in the past usually on a rough nylabone but it has usually cleared up in a couple of days and does not bleed.
I think the bathing will help and as the others suggested vets to be on the safe side in case of infection.

Is he pawing at it at all?

Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: HELP Has anyone come across this before   Wed 22 Aug 2012, 10:05 pm

Cassie has done this too and it cleared up in a few days, but I agree with the others if no improvement a trip to the vets, but hopefully it will soon be better x
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23354

PostSubject: Re: HELP Has anyone come across this before   Thu 23 Aug 2012, 7:19 am

I haven't seen it before but it looks like some kind of cyst however it looks like it joins together so it could be warts of some kind are the bumps hard or soft to touch and does Alfie like you to touch them? (always wash hands after touching lol)

It may also be a bite from chewing which has become infected - personally I would keep clean with salt water only and not apply any creams until he has seen the vet xx

Keep us posted xx
Back to top Go down
Jakethedog
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male

PostSubject: Re: HELP Has anyone come across this before   Thu 23 Aug 2012, 1:24 pm

Hi suzie , the bobbly bits are just his lips, they have always been there,
The gum seemed hard last yesterday & he,ll let you touch it ,
We washed it as sandi said & when he was nodding last night coated it in savalon cream ( which I put on every thing ,lol) when we got up this morn it seemed to have lost its redness & gone down slightly , we will look at him later when we get home & fingers crossed he's not been at it today
Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 15686

PostSubject: Re: HELP Has anyone come across this before   Thu 23 Aug 2012, 1:30 pm

Kassi has the same serrated lips either side Suzie.

Maybe its a red Staffie thing.

Glad he is a bit better today, hope he is not fiddling with it while you are not there today spinner smile

Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: HELP Has anyone come across this before   Thu 23 Aug 2012, 2:01 pm

Hi

That's a good outcome - well done - lets hope the Savlon ( I name magic cream lol) works xx

I wonder if it is Sandi - as Rocco got one on his lip months ago xx
Back to top Go down
jakies13
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 7512

PostSubject: Re: HELP Has anyone come across this before   Thu 23 Aug 2012, 8:09 pm

Both of mine have done the same when they have had something to chew on.
Just keep up with the bathing I'm sure it will he's, soon, don't thing it is anything to worry about and I doubt if it is a cyst. But if it doesn't clear up a vet visit won't hurt :)

Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: HELP Has anyone come across this before   Fri 24 Aug 2012, 2:45 pm

Any news on Alfie x
Back to top Go down
Jakethedog
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male

PostSubject: Re: HELP Has anyone come across this before   Fri 24 Aug 2012, 9:36 pm

all good on the alfie front suzie , it has gone down really well , no swelling & the redness has gone , you have to love the powers of Savlon havent you lol

thanks for all the replys & advice everybody ta
Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: HELP Has anyone come across this before   Fri 24 Aug 2012, 9:45 pm

Glad Alfie is better
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31832

PostSubject: Re: HELP Has anyone come across this before   Fri 24 Aug 2012, 10:06 pm

Thats good news, big cuddles for Alfie

Back to top Go down
jakies13
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 7512

PostSubject: Re: HELP Has anyone come across this before   Sat 25 Aug 2012, 9:14 am

That's great news, you can't beat the good old antiseptic cream x

Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: HELP Has anyone come across this before   Sat 25 Aug 2012, 4:32 pm

woot

Fantastic news :):)

Savlon is MAGIC Cream woot
Back to top Go down
Jakethedog
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male

PostSubject: Re: HELP Has anyone come across this before   Sat 25 Aug 2012, 6:37 pm

suziet wrote:
woot

Fantastic news :):)

Savlon is MAGIC Cream woot

yes got to be in my top 10 inventions of all time yes lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HELP Has anyone come across this before   

Back to top Go down

HELP Has anyone come across this before
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Staffiezone :: Dog Chat, Help and Advice :: General or Random Staffie, Bullie and Dog Chat-
Jump to: