Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Do you use Glucosamine/Cod Liver Oil Supplements?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2001

PostSubject: Do you use Glucosamine/Cod Liver Oil Supplements?   Mon 24 Sep 2012, 9:35 am

Hi Guys

Do any of you guys use Glucosamine or Cod Liver Oil Supplements for your dogs?

Poppy is 9 years old now and looks like she is starting to get some discomfort with her back legs, I don't particularly want to take her to the vet and put her on arthritis medication unless its the last resort, arthritis meds did not agree with my late Ollie. I did have Ollie on Glucosamine before he passed over to Rainbow Bridge last December but I would appreciate any advice you guys could give.
Ideally I'm hoping to deal with Poppy's legs naturally with Glucosamine and Cod Liver Oils unless the condition worsens but just wondered if theres anything you guys can recommend?
Also, do you use the human variety or do you buy doggie variety? If so where from?
ta
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23424

PostSubject: Re: Do you use Glucosamine/Cod Liver Oil Supplements?   Mon 24 Sep 2012, 10:01 am

Hi Wendy

I usually buy a salmon oil or an omega 3 6 9 oil from Holland and Barrett and place that on their food.

I do believe Asda sell Glucosamine Sulphate in the human form but haven't given it to the boys.

I normally prefer the omega 3 6 9 oils opposed to Cod Liver Oil and Kippers or Sardnies are a good source of the omega oils too xx
Back to top Go down
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Do you use Glucosamine/Cod Liver Oil Supplements?   Mon 24 Sep 2012, 10:14 am

Hi Suzie

Sorry to sound naive but -

Do Omega Oils work the same as Cod Liver Oil's? Good for the bones, etc

My daughter takes Omega Oils as suggested by the paeditrician at the hospital but thats to help with her blood/fat levels
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: Do you use Glucosamine/Cod Liver Oil Supplements?   Mon 24 Sep 2012, 10:21 am

Hi Wendy

You are bot naive I didn't explain it properly - Omgea 3 6 9 support alot of functions and they include - joint - eye - kidney and skin - so maybe by using them together may help support optimal health opposed to curing it.

Glucosamine and Chondroitin are major component for maintaining healthy joints. Glucosamine and Chondroitin help to prevent joint degeneration and treat arthritis.

I know the above can be bought in Asda - but I haven't used them both together - so please ask your vets advice before giving your poochie any meds - (I know you would anyway but didn't want anyone saying - Suzie said ..... lol )
Back to top Go down
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Do you use Glucosamine/Cod Liver Oil Supplements?   Mon 24 Sep 2012, 10:27 am

Thanks hun . Makes perfect sense . Will look further into my options and as you said, obviously consult the vet
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: Do you use Glucosamine/Cod Liver Oil Supplements?   Mon 24 Sep 2012, 12:24 pm

Hi Wendy I have looked on internet and there are doggie supplements which do in fact combine both - so hopefully this maybe the way forward - please keep us posted x
Back to top Go down
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Do you use Glucosamine/Cod Liver Oil Supplements?   Mon 24 Sep 2012, 12:49 pm

Yes, I have been searching online but always worry if its a good quality product and if reputable company but I guess its trial 'n' error. Do you use any particular doggie site for pharmeuticals?
I'd just like to get something for Poppy asap to try relieve any discomfort she may be getting, treat it now and hopefully it will hold it at bay.
I use to give Ollie human variety which really helped him, unfortunately he could'nt have arthritis medication from vet as no matter what they tried it aggravated his Colitis so Glucosamine was my only option with him.
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: Do you use Glucosamine/Cod Liver Oil Supplements?   Mon 24 Sep 2012, 3:20 pm

Hi hun :):)

I buy my Omega 3 6 9 from Holland & Barrett xx

Awww poor Ollie - so do you avoid wheat based foods as these can trigger Colitis xx
Back to top Go down
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Do you use Glucosamine/Cod Liver Oil Supplements?   Mon 24 Sep 2012, 4:35 pm

He was on a strict diet before he passed away hun, we lost my gorgeous boy last December to Pancreatitis, with hospitalisation he survived the first dose but unfortunately it returned a week later, vets think he may have had a cancerous tumour on the Pancreas.

The Colitis was a nightmare to deal with but did eventually manage to bring it under control with prescription food but meds from the vet really used to cause havoc x
Back to top Go down
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Do you use Glucosamine/Cod Liver Oil Supplements?   Mon 24 Sep 2012, 4:36 pm

How much Omega oil do you give hun? Do you use the oil or the capsules?
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: Do you use Glucosamine/Cod Liver Oil Supplements?   Mon 24 Sep 2012, 6:13 pm

I use Kronch Salmon oil for my guys and also supplements from Riaflex.

I use their Canine joint plus which contains Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM and also their green lipseed mussel.

My dogs do well on these and they seem to help Diesels Elbow Dysplasia

http://www.riaflex-equine.co.uk/product_riaflex_complete_canine.htm

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31891

PostSubject: Re: Do you use Glucosamine/Cod Liver Oil Supplements?   Mon 24 Sep 2012, 7:53 pm

I used to give Chloe high strength cod liver oil (human dose) and high strength glucosamine (dog dose), I bought them from simply supplements who regularly have a buy one get one free offer on

Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: Do you use Glucosamine/Cod Liver Oil Supplements?   Tue 25 Sep 2012, 7:18 am

Hi Hun I am so sorry I was mean't to type 'did' not 'do' I hope I haven't upset you hugs xxx

I place a small teaspoon on their food every other day hun and use the liquid variety :)

Nice one Claire - I was hoping you would reply - thats exactly the combo I found on google but didn't want to suggest xx
Back to top Go down
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Do you use Glucosamine/Cod Liver Oil Supplements?   Tue 25 Sep 2012, 10:42 am

Thanks for your advice guys, there is sooo much available online its difficult knowing what to go for.

Its ok Suzie, Ollie's in a better place, at least he's not suffering any longer, still miss him and his snoring though and he's never far from my thoughts. My puppy is soooo much like Ollie though its unbelievable, same habits, etc.

Been a crap year, be glad when the year is over hun, lost Ollie in December, lost both my sister and my mum in 3 months, cremated my mum only last Friday, but gotta stay strong cos life goes on.
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: Do you use Glucosamine/Cod Liver Oil Supplements?   Tue 25 Sep 2012, 12:07 pm

group hug group hug group hug group hug

aww honey I know what you mean about our beloved poochies been in a better place - I know it sounds wierd but a times I swear I can smell Shamo my Tibetian Spaniel - she had such a lovely puppy smell and I grew up with her - such a sweet pooch xx

You really have had a tough year - hugs xx

Remember although you want to be strong - we all need to grieve even if it's like me away from others - I often sob my little heart out even after losing my dad over 10 years ago xx

We're here for you if you want to talk xx
Back to top Go down
getcarter
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2019

PostSubject: Re: Do you use Glucosamine/Cod Liver Oil Supplements?   Tue 25 Sep 2012, 12:15 pm

Aww Wendy, life has been tough for you, if you do want to talk as Suz said, we're here! group hug
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 9711

PostSubject: Re: Do you use Glucosamine/Cod Liver Oil Supplements?   Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:16 pm

agree with the last 2 posts
it eases with time x group hug
Back to top Go down
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Do you use Glucosamine/Cod Liver Oil Supplements?   Tue 25 Sep 2012, 5:20 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions & thoughts.

Each day is a little easier group hug x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you use Glucosamine/Cod Liver Oil Supplements?   

Back to top Go down

Do you use Glucosamine/Cod Liver Oil Supplements?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1