Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Dreadful walks today

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31893

PostSubject: Dreadful walks today   Sun 11 Nov 2012, 12:22 pm

I had planned to meet a friend for a walk this morning which meant walking over the field where the firework was set off a couple of weeks ago. We have not been on since but needed to walk over them to meet a friend.

So I drove to the fields so Reub would be calm when we got there and he seemed excited to go on. We walked on the fields and he looked at me waiting for his ball so I thoguht why not? I let him off the lead, threw the ball a couple of times as we were walking over and he was fine. Then the drums started from the remembrance parades in the distance and with that he took flight and legged it off the fields with me in hot pursuit but he was completely ignoring me.

Thankfully he only ran as far as the car and waited there for me.

I decided to drive up to the farms and we would walk up there.

All was going well and although there was a few noises from the farm he was OK with them and we went for a walk. All was going well until we got to the top when someone in the distance set off a banger and because it was so quiet it seemed to echo across the fields. At this point Reuben completed freaked, I quickly put him on his lead but all he was interested in was getting home. He was pulling so hard I could hardly control him but managed to clip the lead to the front of his harness to help keep him back. Once we got nearer the car I tried to do some T Touch work with him but he was completely unresponsive until we got to the car.

He has been fine since we got home and he has just eaten a nice big raw bone but as for walking I am going to have to drive up into the moors and park in the middle of no where to get him to relax

Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Re: Dreadful walks today   Sun 11 Nov 2012, 1:23 pm

Oh what a shame. It seems as soon as your getting somewhere with him some idiot sets off a firework etc and you take a step back again.

I'm glad he didn't run off completely and stopped at the car, and that he is ok at home now.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dreadful walks today   Sun 11 Nov 2012, 4:25 pm

Yes I know, my heart was in my mouth when he ran. I expected him to be stood on the path into the field and when he was not there I s**t myself.

I took him into the local school field about an hour ago with his noseball and he has had a good run around

Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23426

PostSubject: Re: Dreadful walks today   Sun 11 Nov 2012, 4:42 pm

Awwwwwwwwwwwww honey thats a real shame - he does love that Noseball x
Back to top Go down
*lou*
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 520

PostSubject: Re: Dreadful walks today   Sun 11 Nov 2012, 4:56 pm

I feel your pain. I'm having the same issues with Cody and it's driving me mad.

As soon as he hears any loud pop or bang he bolts home and will not listen to any commands from me. If I have him on the lead he just freezes and refuses to move forward and only wants to head home. Nothing works.

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Dreadful walks today   Sun 11 Nov 2012, 5:29 pm

Oh my how totally scary for you both. It always happens when you are not prepared. Glad you are both ok but I bet you feel you are back at square one xxx
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dreadful walks today   Sun 11 Nov 2012, 5:36 pm

I do Jan but we are working through it, I have some noise remedy for him and have spoken to the guy I got it off today about upping the dose to see if it helps.

I feel for you Lou, I find it really difficult to deal with on occasion and I just feel so helpless that I cannot help him

Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 9711

PostSubject: Re: Dreadful walks today   Sun 11 Nov 2012, 6:07 pm

Although Dell doesn't seem to be as scared of the fireworks as he was, he's jumpy at every little banging noise and has been ready to take flight a couple of times.
Fireworks seem to have been going off for weeks.
Our town council has decided to have it's fireworks display tonight so dreading that. On Remembrance Sunday as well.
I hope you find a way to calm Reuben Jo, I feel for you, I really do.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dreadful walks today   Sun 11 Nov 2012, 6:41 pm

Thanks Linda. Thankfully in the home he has improved and does not bark like he did but we so love our walks and getting out and about and it all just seems so frought all the time

Yesterday we went up to Blackstone Edge, great place for walks, it is away from the roads and no house about for any unexpected noises. We have been there loads of times on the staffie walks and I decided to go up there early (9am) yesterday so he could have a good couple of relaxed hours. We had a great walk but on the way back a scrambler came onto the path and Reuben hates motorbikes. Never have we ever come across anything like that up there and it just seems everything is out to get us

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Dreadful walks today   Sun 11 Nov 2012, 9:42 pm

It's all there to test you but you'll get through it group hug
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dreadful walks today   

Back to top Go down