Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

I think it's time we called someone

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rockromantic
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 708

PostSubject: I think it's time we called someone   Sat 01 Dec 2012, 1:37 am

I think it's time we got a behavourist or something in for Buster,

He and the other dogs have been great for a while now, until today, Chris was lay on the sofa as he's not feeling to great, Buster climbed on top of him, he told Buster to get down, moved his hand not fast, Buster back wasn't facing him and Buster bite Chris hand. Blood was everywhere.

Buster has always had a bit of a dislike for Chris but has been okay with him for a while, thankfully Chris, despite this, love the dogs and hasn't said he wants to rehome Buster or anything, a friend said not to neuter him as it could make this behaviour worse, a behaverioust (sorry bad spelling) i know won't usually come out to unneutered dogs, so feel between a rock and a hard place right now.

Keep trying to think of where we're going wrong with him he's not like this towards anyone else, Chris hasn't ever been nasty towards Buster. :(

No point to this, just felt i had to get it of my chest to people who won't just tell me to get rid of him crying
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: I think it's time we called someone   Sat 01 Dec 2012, 1:48 am

Hi Saz,

I would definetly be getting him neutered and getting a behaviourist to come and help.
Neutering won't make him any better but it certainly won't make him any worse.

Back to top Go down
rockromantic
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: I think it's time we called someone   Sat 01 Dec 2012, 1:51 am

xclairex1 wrote:
Hi Saz,

I would definetly be getting him neutered and getting a behaviourist to come and help.
Neutering won't make him any better but it certainly won't make him any worse.

It wouldn't? People tell me such conflicting things, it gets confusing lol but its an opinion i want to do, if it won't make him worse then we have nothing to lose really thats the only reason i've been putting it of :)
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 9711

PostSubject: Re: I think it's time we called someone   Sat 01 Dec 2012, 8:03 am

Neutering takes there testicles that are the source of hormones especially
testosterone ?
Then a behaviourist if you can afford or know one.
We neutered Dell to stop him "lusting " after the bitches as it came between him and his wits.
Back to top Go down
K999
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 1087

PostSubject: Re: I think it's time we called someone   Sat 01 Dec 2012, 3:35 pm

I always advise neutering. Testosterone is the main issue, it doesn't do much on it's own but what it does do is emphasize emotions. So when a dog gets aggressive testosterone helps them to become more aggressive, if they get fearful testosterone effectively makes them more fearful etc, and an intact male has testosterone on tap! Neutering a dog doesn't cure anything but it does help narrow the behavioural range by removing testosterone from the equation.
This is also why the behaviourist won't bother coming out to an intact dog.
Also, there are huge health benefits to neutering.

When you say Buster has a dislike of Chris, what do you mean?
Back to top Go down
rockromantic
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: I think it's time we called someone   Sat 01 Dec 2012, 7:22 pm

K999 wrote:

When you say Buster has a dislike of Chris, what do you mean?

He'll go over to Chris to lie/sit with him and will sit on his knee, but has growled when Chris strokes him, he started doing it not long after we got him but stopped doing it for a while, he's had a check up at the vets so it's not due topain or anything, he'llletme do anything with him and is the same with pretty much anyone else, it's just Chris.
I was thinking as him and my german shep Sammy went through a bit of hating each other Sammy became more Chris's dog than mine I was thinking if this played a part?

Back to top Go down
K999
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male

PostSubject: Re: I think it's time we called someone   Sat 01 Dec 2012, 8:16 pm

it doesn't sound like there is much trust between Chris and Buster (both ways). So Buster is acting quite assertively and defensively when in close proximity with Chris. What Buster appears to be doing (from the tiny bits of info here) is kind of trying to tell Chris he has no authority and hasn't earned the right to tell Buster what to do.
If a dog sits on you in any way it should be a bit of an honour for the dog and a gesture of closeness and trust. What Buster appears to be doing is, "I'm going to sit on you whether you want me to or not, and on top of that, if you try to get me off I'll threaten you" this is because Buster feels the need to assert himself over Chris in order to keep himself feeling safe.
(I'm not for one minute suggesting Chris has ever harmed Buster or anything, but dogs communicate on such a subtle level it may simply be down to a few misunderstandings, or say, allowing the dog to pull on lead and bark at other dogs for instance).

How is Buddy on the walks for Chris?
Back to top Go down
rockromantic
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: I think it's time we called someone   Sat 01 Dec 2012, 8:41 pm

K999 wrote:
it doesn't sound like there is much trust between Chris and Buster (both ways). So Buster is acting quite assertively and defensively when in close proximity with Chris. What Buster appears to be doing (from the tiny bits of info here) is kind of trying to tell Chris he has no authority and hasn't earned the right to tell Buster what to do.
If a dog sits on you in any way it should be a bit of an honour for the dog and a gesture of closeness and trust. What Buster appears to be doing is, "I'm going to sit on you whether you want me to or not, and on top of that, if you try to get me off I'll threaten you" this is because Buster feels the need to assert himself over Chris in order to keep himself feeling safe.
(I'm not for one minute suggesting Chris has ever harmed Buster or anything, but dogs communicate on such a subtle level it may simply be down to a few misunderstandings, or say, allowing the dog to pull on lead and bark at other dogs for instance).

How is Buddy on the walks for Chris?

Chris doesn't walk Buster, it's me that does, Chris walks the dobermann and German Shep (as the dobermann pulls onlead and can easily pull me in the road especially if he spots a cat!) would walking him be a start we should do? Chris feeds them mainly
Back to top Go down
K999
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male

PostSubject: Re: I think it's time we called someone   Sat 01 Dec 2012, 8:56 pm

Who dishes out the food doesn't mean too much to a dog unless it really has to earn it, so this doesn't really count.
Walking is by far the best way to bond with a dog, this is exactly how I have got every seriously aggressive dog to initially accept me before I could really start working with it.

If Chris started taking out Buster for walks, got Buster to walk next to him/behind him with a loose lead, allowing Buster to sniff, explore, meet dogs/people with Chris keeping everybody calm and safe then suddenly Buster will see Chris in a whole new light...somebody worth listening to and following. Chris should also get Buster to ask before coming into Chris space, Buster shouldn't be allowed to jump on Chris anymore, or climb on top of him etc, this way Chris will be asking for respect instead of literally being walked all over! If Chris becomes 'unattainable' for Buster then Buster will begin to try to work out how to get Chris's attention and then you can both start rewarding Buster when he shows manner and politeness by allowing him to come into Chris space and eventually getting a fuss of him.
Back to top Go down
rockromantic
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: I think it's time we called someone   Mon 17 Dec 2012, 8:40 pm

Thought i'd update this, massive thank you to K999 for all the advice, it's only been over two weeks and Buster and Chris have made huge difference with each other. They cuddle up when Chris says he can get up with him, have cuddles minus any growling, wish we'd done all of it so much sooner. The only downside he seems to love Chris more than me now *sulk* lol
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31891

PostSubject: Re: I think it's time we called someone   Mon 17 Dec 2012, 9:37 pm

Thats great news and I am sure Buster still loves his mum just as much

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: I think it's time we called someone   Mon 17 Dec 2012, 10:41 pm

Glad you've got a result with Buster, it takes hard work but so worth it in the end.

Back to top Go down
K999
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male

PostSubject: Re: I think it's time we called someone   Tue 18 Dec 2012, 8:41 am

well done all 3 of you!
glad to hear Chris got the Buster he wanted and Buster got the Chris he wanted!
it does go to show how important walking your dog is in terms of bonding. You'll be fighting for the lead now because it looks like whoever does the Buster walk gets the Buster cuddles! (that's positive reinforcement if ever I saw it! now who is training who? sounds a smart one this Buster.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I think it's time we called someone   

Back to top Go down

I think it's time we called someone
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1