Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Anyone Else Experienced This?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2001

PostSubject: Anyone Else Experienced This?   Fri 21 Dec 2012, 8:33 pm

Hi Guys

Wondering if anyone has experienced this? Any advice would be much appreciated ..

The 2 boys (Shadow and Buddy) have been showing a lot of attention to Poppy over the last couple of days .. I've noticed they seem to be licking her on her back end .. Poppy had an emergency spay about 12/18 months ago due to a suspected Pyrometra so I know she's not in heat .. Poppy is 9 years old .. I have obviously checked Poppy and can't see any discharge .. I've tried to smell her at the back end but she don't seem to be smelly .. I think she may be a little swollen between the anus and vagina, possibly swollen at top of vagina but I'm really not sure as when check the area it does seem soft to the touch .. yesterday she was a bit red around her back end but I put that down to the males keep licking her there .. Poppy is happy enough in herself .. she seems to be drinking ok .. shes eating fine .. she seems to be going to toilet ok .. just wondered if anyone else has experienced this?

I did call the vet earlier this evening .. the receptionist/vet nurse that I know was on duty so I was able to speak to her but as she said, its something that she's never experienced so could'nt recommend anything and could not say whether Poppy needs to be seen or not .. I was advised to give the vet a call in the morning tomorrow and try speak to the vet herself who apparently should have a better idea whether it is a issue with Poppy or whether the males are just being a nuisance.

As I said, any advice would be much appreciated
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Else Experienced This?   Fri 21 Dec 2012, 9:07 pm

Sorry Wendy, I have never seen anything like this. I wonder if she has a bit of an infection and that is why the boys are paying her attention to that area? I would def keep the boys away and see how she is tomorrow.

Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Else Experienced This?   Sat 22 Dec 2012, 9:21 am

has she ever had any anal gland problems? it could be they are full, is she scooting along the floor, I would take her too the vet for a check up, hope all goes well x
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Else Experienced This?   Sat 22 Dec 2012, 10:03 am

Sorry no experience but if they aren't troubling her just see how they get on.
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23449

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Else Experienced This?   Sat 22 Dec 2012, 10:05 am

Hi honey - sorry no experience either - but as mentioned I would ask the vet to check to check her over as the boys are definately picking up on a scent xx
Back to top Go down
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Else Experienced This?   Sat 22 Dec 2012, 10:16 am

Thanks guys ..

No Poppy has never suffered with her anal glands Allie .

She's never required the anal glands to be emptied ..

However she's always scooted along the floor since she was a puppy just before she goes for a poop .. she will scoot across the floor and then within seconds she's popping .. vet has checked for blocked anal glands before but always been clear

I've checked her again this morning and still can't see any discharge but she does seem to be a bit tender .. either that or she's fed up of being touched down that end .. lol

Vet opens at 11am for an hour on a Saturday and I was advised to call just before 11am by the receptionist last night so thats what I will do to try speak to the vet or if he vet is not available leave a message asking for a call back .. if she does need to be seen I can pop her straight over, live almost opposite the vet so thats not a problem x
Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Else Experienced This?   Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:42 pm

Good luck hope all goes well x
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Else Experienced This?   Wed 26 Dec 2012, 1:29 pm

How are things now Wendy?

Back to top Go down
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Else Experienced This?   Wed 26 Dec 2012, 3:42 pm

Hi Jo ..
Poppy's ok ..
I spoke to the vet last Saturday .. as she said .. the boys have been licking her behind so that could have caused the swelling .. apparently swelling is quite common in these cases but not to be too concerned as it can resolve itself .
Initially .. she suggested cleaning Poppy's back end with salt water and applying Sudocrem which I've been doing .. whilst on the phone we did make an appointment for this coming Saturday just in case there was no improvement ..
Unfortunately the top of Poppy's vulva is still slightly swollen so I will be taking her over for the appointment on Saturday to get her checked ..
Poppy does not appear to be passing blood and she seems to be urinating & pooping as normal .. nor is she passing any discharge..
She does not seem to be in any discomfort either nor trying to chew herself so do not know what this could be but fingers crossed at the worse it may be an infection which anitciotics will hopefully resolve ..
Hoping & praying its nothing more serious ...
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Else Experienced This?   Wed 26 Dec 2012, 4:43 pm

Fingers crossed, let us know how you get on xx

Back to top Go down
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Anyone Else Experienced This? Update Number 1   Thu 27 Dec 2012, 11:30 am

Update:

I called the vet's this morning, luckily the senior vet I see was on duty so I brung Poppy's appointment forward to 10.30am this morning ..

Unfortunately the vet isn't too sure what is going on herself .. this has baffled her even .. was asked loads of questions about Poppy .. think we may eventually need to run some tests to find out what is going on which are no doubt going to be pricey ..

From what the vet was able to assatain from the internal examination on Poppy .. she is showing signs of stiffness which I've had her on Glucosamine & Flexi Joints for but the vet administered an injection of Metacam plus prescribed some Oral Metacam that I have to add to Poppy's food ..

The vet also picked up that Poppy is leaking urine .. I've only ever noticed very small patches where she has sat ..

The vet has also prescribed a 7 day course of Trimacare antibiotics for her swollen vulva .. she has admitted that she is not 100% sure that it is an infection as theres no discharge .. apparently a discharge is common with infection of the back end .. I've also been advised to continue with bathing Poppy's back end with salt water ..

Vet was very concerned about Poppy's behaviour whilst being examined .. she felt that Poppy was very grouchy which is unlike her ..

And the vet as requested that Poppy returns to the surgery in 7 days ..

Hoping & Praying my baby girl is going to be ok love x

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Else Experienced This?   Thu 27 Dec 2012, 12:48 pm

Awe bless her, hope she is OK. Chloe was incontinent and was prescribed incurin
Hopefully the medication will sort her out and sheis just a bit grouchy as she is off colour

Back to top Go down
getcarter
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2019

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Else Experienced This?   Thu 27 Dec 2012, 1:05 pm

Fingers crossed that she starts to feel better soon!
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Else Experienced This?   Thu 27 Dec 2012, 8:38 pm

I hope the medication kicks in soon and she feels less grouchy x
Back to top Go down
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Else Experienced This?   Thu 03 Jan 2013, 1:17 pm

UPDATE:

Poppy went back to the vet's this morning for a check up . She was much less grouchy . Her vulva is back to normal so it looks like the anti-biotics worked Dancing Banana .
The vet wants to keep her on the Metacam for a few more weeks but should she start vomiting or develop diarrhoea the Metacam has to be stopped, Arthritis in the back legs is suspected .
spinner smile
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Else Experienced This?   Thu 03 Jan 2013, 1:35 pm

Glad she is on the mend

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Else Experienced This?   

Back to top Go down

Anyone Else Experienced This?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Staffiezone :: Dog Chat, Help and Advice :: General or Random Staffie, Bullie and Dog Chat-
Jump to: