Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Camping with the dogs...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Caesar's Mum
Silver Forum Member
Silver Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 318

PostSubject: Camping with the dogs...   Sat 02 Mar 2013, 9:21 pm

Currently thinking about investing in some camping equipment so my OH and I can escape whenever we fancy - especially during the school hols on the days my OH is off work.

If we go for it we will be in a tent - can't afford the luxury of a caravan! Little worried about trying it with 3 dogs...should maybe have tried it when we only had 1 lol!

Thinking we'll def need a tether etc for Toby, been advised a tent with a fixed groundsheet is a must to stop them escaping! Oh and lots of towels!!!!

Anyway any recommendations for equipment(places to buy)....or campsites in the uk? Can imagine the first time will probably be stressful until we get used to it! Toby and Caesar have high prey drive! bash
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: Camping with the dogs...   Sat 02 Mar 2013, 9:38 pm

We used to have a tent with three dogs and It was fine. (Now have four and a caravan though )

The things that were great for us were a tailgate guard in the car, tie-out stakes for the dogs and also windbreaks - you can make a small garden area.

I would go to a big outdoor shop and look at the tents then go online and try and get it cheaper. it was off season when we bought our first tent so we got a good deal.

this is the tent we have but I only paid £50 from b and q for it. Im glad we had a 5 man tent though and not smaller.

Back to top Go down
Caesar's Mum
Silver Forum Member
Silver Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Camping with the dogs...   Sat 02 Mar 2013, 9:48 pm

Like the windbreak idea! Will help them not get over stimulated on busier sites! Would probably take crates first few times just in case we need them - thinking the dogs could have some quiet time in them when we're cooking etc.
I can already see the dogs taking up most of the room! Will probably take more equipment for them than us!
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Camping with the dogs...   Sat 02 Mar 2013, 9:55 pm

These ones are pretty good http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9278802.htm

Its always the same - even now with the caravan They have more than we do! We also have a coleman ultimate cooler which is great for the dogs raw food.

Back to top Go down
Caesar's Mum
Silver Forum Member
Silver Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Camping with the dogs...   Sat 02 Mar 2013, 10:15 pm

The RAW food was my other worry! I know it'll be fine for a few days in a standard coolbox but was thinking longer term!

That windbreaker looks fab!

Might wait to invest in a tailguard to check we actually cope with the camping - starting to think I'll need a bigger car than a golf to go with as well lol!

Also need to think about what else we'll do apart from walk lol! Thinking the cooking etc will take twice as long as normal.....might start looking out for some cheap board games and campsites near dog friendly pubs lol.
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Camping with the dogs...   Sat 02 Mar 2013, 10:38 pm

the Haven sites are good. They don't all have pitches for tents but many of them do and they have good facilities too spinner smile

Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: Camping with the dogs...   Sun 03 Mar 2013, 8:40 am

Oh fab you will enjoy it, we have done lots of camping with the dogs, in the past ( we had two dogs then) a tether is a must I feel as you can relax knowing your dogs are secure, plus like the idea of a windbreak too. we had lots of different tents and then ended up with a teepee which was fab as you could stand up in it and get dressed lol
Back to top Go down
stepys1
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2364

PostSubject: Re: Camping with the dogs...   Sun 03 Mar 2013, 11:06 am

Wind brakes were a god send when we first started taking Quattro out in the campervan as children/toddlers would run straight over to us & Quattro being so excited would of knocked them over if the wind brake wasn't there.

Dogs seems to love camping those, enjoy :)
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Camping with the dogs...   Sun 03 Mar 2013, 1:51 pm

Ukcampsite.co.uk is a good web site. There are hundreds of sites on there and they have a buy/sell forum too. Preloved is also a good website there are loads of bargains on there. Happy camping and yes most space is used for dog beds, crates, cooler boxes (I have one like Claire's, it's brilliant for raw food and other stuff) and doggie stuff.

We've taken Ruby in our camper van then trailer tent since she was little so she's used to them and Elsdon took to it straight away too spinner smile
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23449

PostSubject: Re: Camping with the dogs...   Sun 03 Mar 2013, 7:25 pm

Sorry I can;t advise as only been camping once with friends - but it sounds fun and if you do go lots of pics required please xx
Back to top Go down
Bubbles-mum
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1916

PostSubject: Re: Camping with the dogs...   Fri 08 Mar 2013, 10:10 am

When camping they do charge per dog per night. So it could cost more with 3 dogs. With the raw, I don't take it as there is no where to store it. So I use the pets at home wainwrights food trays. Bubbles use to eat this before he had raw. We don't use a windbreaker when camping but a long lead. The long read ones you can buy.
Back to top Go down
nikki
Silver Forum Member
Silver Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 356

PostSubject: Re: Camping with the dogs...   Wed 13 Mar 2013, 2:42 pm

I camp with my 3 and I brought a new tent last season for our agility comps.

This is my tent...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Royal-Havana-6-Person-Tent/dp/B0045U2VLM/ref=sr_1_3?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1363185707&sr=1-3

I love it. It has so much room and I can have a dog crate or 2 set up should I need them.

x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Camping with the dogs...   

Back to top Go down

Camping with the dogs...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1