Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Jumping Up

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mattie
Supporter
Supporter

Female
Number of posts : 430

PostSubject: Jumping Up   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 3:38 pm

Thought I would put this in a new thread so we can discuss it because everyone has different ideas.

Someone new comes into your home and you dog starts jumping about saying “I’m here, look at me, I am so handsome/pretty, I’m here don’t look at them look at met” etc. They are demanding attention. This can be dangerous, someone can get hurt so you have to manage this at first while you are training your dog.

Putting them behind a gate is a good idea, they can see the visitor but can’t demand their attention by jumping up. When they are quiet they can be allowed in but must stay quiet or out again. Visitors must be sitting down and completely ignore them, if they won’t keep the dog out, all your previous work can be undone.

Dog gates are better than baby gates, they are higher so dogs not as likely to jump them, if you have a dog that will jump a gate, you will need to put another on top so they can’t. Your dog only has to jump it once to get the attention and will continue to jump it because it pays.

A dog will only do what works, jumping up at visitors and the attention he gets, the jumping is working so you need to stop the dog from jumping in the first place. If when you let the dog in he still jumps, put him out again for about 10 seconds then let in. Keep doing this and your dog will eventually get the message. I prefer to remove myself from the room, find it works quicker, but when you have visitors you can’t ask them to keep leaving the room.

Once you are managing your dog you then need to give him something to do, I normally get my dogs to “Settle”, after saying “Settle” on command, this can be their bed, blanket etc, doesn’t matter what it is. This can be very useful in quite a few situations especially if you are away.

You will see recommended to turn your back, that works with young pups but not with adults, they can jump too high and give you too many scratches with their nails. Visitors won’t want to be told to turn their back at a badly behaved dog or get covered in scratches.

If your dog has a behaviour that you don’t want, you can’t just stop it, you need to replace it with something you do want, like “Settle”. Replace the unwanted behaviour and your dog will learn a lot quicker. You need to set your dog up to succeed, if you don’t replace they unwanted behaviour you are setting your dog up to fail and the behaviour will get worse not better.
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1603

PostSubject: Re: Jumping Up   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 3:49 pm

what i do mattie is if im expecting company i lock my dogs up in their beds until the person/s are settled then 1 by 1 we let them out to say hello i dont know if this is right but it works for us
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4187

PostSubject: Re: Jumping Up   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 3:51 pm

I put my dogs in the kitchen but they never calm down enough to let them out i know its something to work on and will keep on it.
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 19490

PostSubject: Re: Jumping Up   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 3:53 pm

buffy is put in her crate if its someone we dont know we do tell them that i will be letting the dog back out as its her home then a nice chew she usually walks past wagging her bum but lays down quietley but she never takes her eyes off the stranger , if its our friend daz she is out and about and it dont matter what we tell her he encourages her to bounce and jump its him we are trying to train there not buffy lol!
Back to top Go down
Allison
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2312

PostSubject: Re: Jumping Up   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 4:14 pm

Im not sure what to do as we just dont have enough visitors come to our house so that we can impliment your great advice and techniques Mattie - think Im gonna have to drag some people off the street lol
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1603

PostSubject: Re: Jumping Up   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 4:20 pm

aww bless ya allison lol
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 7814

PostSubject: Re: Jumping Up   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 4:38 pm

get a neighbour to come knock on the door to start with and ones from further down
Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 15687

PostSubject: Re: Jumping Up   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 4:51 pm

Admin Jo wrote:
buffy is put in her crate if its someone we dont know we do tell them that i will be letting the dog back out as its her home then a nice chew she usually walks past wagging her bum but lays down quietley but she never takes her eyes off the stranger , if its our friend daz she is out and about and it dont matter what we tell her he encourages her to bounce and jump its him we are trying to train there not buffy lol!

And there in lies the truth, most people who come to our house are dog lovers and want to see them, trying to get the visitor to STOP with the awww and "wassa matter" and "ain't you bouncy" is just as difficult as stopping the dog from bouncing.

The most annoying thing for me is that I can get them to give me space to answer the door. They go in and sit at the other end of the hall and wait, but as soon as the person enters all hell breaks loose! I was almost there with the clicker training, but that has been broken again now.

I am like Allison don't have enough people to keep up the consistency of it all so the excitement tends to go back to the beginning again. I do have visitors tonight though and will try, with their help to introduce them from behind the gate and put them out if the behaviour is not acceptable, hopefully we might just get somewhere - watch this space.
Back to top Go down
Mattie
Supporter
Supporter

Female

PostSubject: Re: Jumping Up   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 4:56 pm

kirstie wrote:
what i do mattie is if im expecting company i lock my dogs up in their beds until the person/s are settled then 1 by 1 we let them out to say hello i dont know if this is right but it works for us

If it works for you then it is right for you, I don't belive in things having to be done a set way, if it works and no punishment is involved and there isn't here, then it it right.
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Jumping Up   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 4:58 pm

We don't have enough people coming and going to fix it either and if we go to the pub and tell people to ignore then awww we cant do that they are so cute so bang goes all the hard work again lol.
Back to top Go down
Mattie
Supporter
Supporter

Female

PostSubject: Re: Jumping Up   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 5:00 pm

Admin Jo wrote:

Jo, to me Daz is abusing your hospitality, if he came here and done this he would be told in very simple language that this must stop as he is ruining my dog and I won't allow that. If he refuses to stop, then you have 2 choices, don't let him in your house again or Buffy stays in her crate. This isn't fair on Buffy, he is being cruel to her.
Back to top Go down
Mattie
Supporter
Supporter

Female

PostSubject: Re: Jumping Up   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 5:01 pm

Allison wrote:
Im not sure what to do as we just dont have enough visitors come to our house so that we can impliment your great advice and techniques Mattie - think Im gonna have to drag some people off the street lol

Just manage them when you do get someone Allison, it is what I do.
Back to top Go down
Mattie
Supporter
Supporter

Female

PostSubject: Re: Jumping Up   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 5:06 pm

Admin Sandi wrote:
Admin Jo wrote:

And there in lies the truth, most people who come to our house are dog lovers and want to see them, trying to get the visitor to STOP with the awww and "wassa matter" and "ain't you bouncy" is just as difficult as stopping the dog from bouncing.

The most annoying thing for me is that I can get them to give me space to answer the door. They go in and sit at the other end of the hall and wait, but as soon as the person enters all hell breaks loose! I was almost there with the clicker training, but that has been broken again now.

These are not dog lovers, they are very selfish people who are putting themselves before your dog and undoing all your training. This is typical of what happens when people think they should be the exception, dogs don't understand exception, it has to be all or nothing.

Quote :
I am like Allison don't have enough people to keep up the consistency of it all so the excitement tends to go back to the beginning again. I do have visitors tonight though and will try, with their help to introduce them from behind the gate and put them out if the behaviour is not acceptable, hopefully we might just get somewhere - watch this space.

Visitors should be willing to help you teach your dog to be well mannered, if they refuse to do as you ask they are very selfish and being cruel to your dog. Only you can say if you will accept this cruelty to your dog or not, I won't, it is my dogs home, my dogs have to be treated in the way they expect.

Far too many people think that they should be the exception but you can't teach a dog if there are exceptions.
Back to top Go down
Mattie
Supporter
Supporter

Female

PostSubject: Re: Jumping Up   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 5:08 pm

Eddi and Daisy wrote:
We don't have enough people coming and going to fix it either and if we go to the pub and tell people to ignore then awww we cant do that they are so cute so bang goes all the hard work again lol.

Only you can decide if you will accept these peoples bad manners or not Jackie, it is nice to have people admiring your pups but they are ruining them, turning them into hooligans because they are undoing all the training. You have to decide if you want well mannered dogs or not, nobody can do it for you.
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Jumping Up   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 5:11 pm

i love people making a fuss of suki its her house and i wont let non doggy or pet people thru the door heheh if they dont like animals they not welcome here
got to many here for non lovers they get got by suki angel george (macaw)charlie (grey)and now and then cocky (cockatoo) i only have totally control over suki heheh although i do stop her jumping up but good friends come over if they want to make a fuss they can i dont see it as runinng the dog tbh but thats my view and i,ve always been the same with my dogs its their house and mine :))))
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Jumping Up   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 5:19 pm

I agree with you there dee, you saw what mine were like i wish they were alittle calmer but it could have something to do with their age lol.
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 19490

PostSubject: Re: Jumping Up   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 5:20 pm

we are training him mattie he is told to ignore buffy until she is calm and settled and then he can say hello the minute she goes to jump jas tells her no and she does listen to him but i think buffy also knows that daz is as good as one of us in the home .
but its him to be trained i hate crating buffy when people come as i say this is her home they are visitors ,
the council annoy me though when they demand she is locked up i wouldnt mind of she was growling and snarling but she is happily munching a bone or toy in the front room yes the doors open but she lifts her head and carries on chewing .
Back to top Go down
Mattie
Supporter
Supporter

Female

PostSubject: Re: Jumping Up   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 5:35 pm

Angel wrote:
i love people making a fuss of suki its her house and i wont let non doggy or pet people thru the door heheh if they dont like animals they not welcome here
got to many here for non lovers they get got by suki angel george (macaw)charlie (grey)and now and then cocky (cockatoo) i only have totally control over suki heheh although i do stop her jumping up but good friends come over if they want to make a fuss they can i dont see it as runinng the dog tbh but thats my view and i,ve always been the same with my dogs its their house and mine :))))

Angel there is a difference in people making a fuss if they haven't been asked to ignore your dog and people who ignore what you ask and encourage your dog to do what you are trying to train them not to do. I do allow people to make a fuss of my dogs but after they have quietened down and not jumping all over them.
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Jumping Up   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 5:45 pm

well yes there is dont think i have never asked anyone to ignore her i have to say if i get peeps here looking at rabbits i do leave her in the house rather than in the garden

i just expect people to except that if they come to my house then they take me and my animals as they find me :)) if i see they dont want to fuss her i make her lie down if they dont i let them get on with it most actually complain if i keep her away as they love her lol

but if i did say leave her and they didnt then i would remove her personally although i dont have an issue with it in my house but i do outside her its hers outside she has to behave thankfully i find she does she will sit for fuss rather than jump up but i wouldnt see it as being cruel to my dog it would see it as disrespecting me and my wishes in my house but thats just me
Back to top Go down
Mattie
Supporter
Supporter

Female

PostSubject: Re: Jumping Up   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 5:51 pm

Admin Jo wrote:
we are training him mattie he is told to ignore buffy until she is calm and settled and then he can say hello the minute she goes to jump jas tells her no and she does listen to him but i think buffy also knows that daz is as good as one of us in the home .
but its him to be trained i hate crating buffy when people come as i say this is her home they are visitors ,

No is negative, many dogs think their name is No and react as if it is it would be better if she was given a command instead, something she knows well like sit or down then she can be rewarded for being good. For Daz, give him a treat to give her, when she comes across to him he can also ask her to sit etc then give the treat. This will be a much calmer meeting.

Quote :
the council annoy me though when they demand she is locked up i wouldnt mind of she was growling and snarling but she is happily munching a bone or toy in the front room yes the doors open but she lifts her head and carries on chewing .

Unfortunately you can't do anything about stupid banghead
Back to top Go down
Mattie
Supporter
Supporter

Female

PostSubject: Re: Jumping Up   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 5:58 pm

Angel wrote:
well yes there is dont think i have never asked anyone to ignore her i have to say if i get peeps here looking at rabbits i do leave her in the house rather than in the garden |

i just expect people to except that if they come to my house then they take me and my animals as they find me :)) if i see they dont want to fuss her i make her lie down if they dont i let them get on with it most actually complain if i keep her away as they love her lol

People who come here have to accept me, my dogs and my house as we are but as my dogs are so important to me and I expect good manners wherever we go, I have a caravan and go all over the country, if I am training my dogs then visitors have to accept that. I do see it as cruel if someone ignores your request for your dog, if you are part way training her then it will set her back quite a lot which means the training will go on longer.

Quote :
but if i did say leave her and they didnt then i would remove her personally although i dont have an issue with it in my house but i do outside her its hers outside she has to behave thankfully i find she does she will sit for fuss rather than jump up but i wouldnt see it as being cruel to my dog it would see it as disrespecting me and my wishes in my house but thats just me

It is disrespectful if we are ignored over how our dogs are to be treated, it is our house, our home and I don't interfer with how people run their's I don't expect them to ignore my requests.

It is all manners really, ignoring someone's request is very bad manners.

This is why I made it a seperate thread, everyone has different ideas, if it works for you then it is right, we don't have to agree with each other though we do seem to be doing as you all write more
Back to top Go down
Mattie
Supporter
Supporter

Female

PostSubject: Re: Jumping Up   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 6:00 pm

Eddi and Daisy wrote:
I agree with you there dee, you saw what mine were like i wish they were alittle calmer but it could have something to do with their age lol.

You have 2 pups Jackie, it has a lot to do with their age but keep training them and eventually you will get there even if you have pulled all your hair out. :D
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Jumping Up   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 6:08 pm

Well eddi is pretty good at sitting when daddy gets home for a fuss but so excited daisy hasnt quite got that right yet but we are getting there.

I want them to sit at 1st and then if people want to fuss them and play with them they can. Like out today on our walk there were 4 young girls middle teens and both of mine go to say hello daisy on the lead and they both insist on jumping up they didnt mind that of course but some people do so trying to get them to sit to greet people.

Poor dee and her hubby were mobbed by them lol they didnt stand a chance did they dee?
Back to top Go down
Mattie
Supporter
Supporter

Female

PostSubject: Re: Jumping Up   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 6:16 pm

Eddi and Daisy wrote:
Well eddi is pretty good at sitting when daddy gets home for a fuss but so excited daisy hasnt quite got that right yet but we are getting there.

It takes time to get there Jackie, we look for improvement not obedience this will come eventually and yours are still babies.
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Jumping Up   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 6:22 pm

they will calm as mattie says jackie it takes time belive me suki may seem good now in most ways but for the first year she was a right pain wouldnt listen wouldnt learn put me in hosptial too but at 1 she seems to change and from then on she was much better the only time could get her do as she was told was on the lead off it and here forget it bouncy silly puppy give it another few months and you,ll have 2 lovely calm hmm clamer lol dogs :))
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jumping Up   

Back to top Go down

Jumping Up
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next