Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

A Few Tricks

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 19490

PostSubject: A Few Tricks   Sun 08 Mar 2009, 3:39 am

A few easy tricks which will be fun to teach plus give your pup a bit of obedience .
Or even your older rescue dog as an old dog can be taught new tricks .

SIT

Start by having your dog sit. Say, "Shake hands,"or paw and then take his paw with your hand. Hold his paw and say, "Good dog!" Let go of his paw. Do this a few times every day. allways remember praise and treat .

COME

Have your dog sit in front of you. Using a dog whistle or clicker from your local pet store, blow it or click it once and give your dog a treat. Do this several times and repeat several times during the day. Repeat this over several days, trying it a increased distances. Your dog should soon be running to you every time he hears the whistle or clicker .
you can use voice comands to such as hand or come .
remeber keep comands short

BED

" bed" means go to the bed AND lie down. You should only need to say " bed".
Put a CRATE , bed, blanket, or towel 6-10 feet away from you. With your dog beside you say " bed!" and then together go to the bed. Have your dog lie down on the bed, give her a treat, and praise. Repeat many times. Later on, try sending your dog by herself. At first, make sure that someone is waiting at the bed with a treat. Later, your dog will do it herself, and you will walk over to her while she is lying down and reward her.

DOWN
sit your dog front of you.
Kneel down and hold a treat in your hand right near dog's nose.
Give the command DOWN and slowly bring the treat straight down keeping treat near the nose.
Praise abundantly and give him the treat for any slight movement towards a down postion. Be sure to say the word GOOD when praising. or sit with your leg slightly bent so to make an arch sit your dog one side and say down as you bring the treat under your leg the dog has to go down to get under then give the treat , repetition is the key to all training .

SPEAK
Choose a game that your dog loves to play, like catch with a ball, or hide and seek with a toy. Then get him excited by saying, "Let's play! Want to play?" and show him the ball or toy. Jump and act silly so he barks and then say, "Good dog, speak!" Then play the game as his reward for learning "Speak".

PLAY DEAD
Have your dog lie down on his tummy. As you gently roll him over on his side, say, play dead While he is lying on his side, keeping his head on the floor, say, play dead Don't give him a treat. Encourage him to stay there for a couple of seconds. Then say, "Ok" or "Wake up!", let him stand up, and give him his reward.

KISS
Here's an easy one: Every time your dog licks your face, say, "Give me a kiss. Good dog! Give me a kiss." If he isn't a licker, put a little peanut butter on your cheek and say, "Give me a kiss." When he licks it off say, "Give me a kiss," again.

ROLL OVER
Start by having your dog lie down on his belly. You can stand over him or kneel beside him. Using a treat, hold it by his nose, and then move it around and behind him, so that he lies on his side and then rolls over. Tell him what a great dog he is! or you can tickle the dogs belly whilst on their back and gentley roll them over but say the comand roll over and then praise and treat

FETCH
If your dog doesn't fetch naturally, have an adult cut a slit in a tennis ball (a smaller, rubber ball if that is too big). Put some treats inside the tennis ball. Show your dog that there are treats in there, and give her one. Then, throw the ball. In the beginning, run with her and get the ball; then give her the treat. Soon you will be able to throw the ball and she will go get it (because she wants the treat!).

GO BACK
This is an easy one! Stand facing your dog and as you walk toward him, say "Go Back". He will want to get out of the way and will automatically walk backwards!

BOW
When you see your dog take a big stretch, with his head down low, say, bow. Every time he wakes up and stretches, say, bow. Someday you will say, bow. and your dog will take a big stretch, but it will look like he is bowing. As soon as he is finished, give him the treat. or With your dog in a stand position, take a treat and hold it near the floor, under his nose. As your dog reaches down to get it (he may try to lie down), slip your hand under his belly to hold his rear end up. Hold him in that position and say, bow. Keep the treat right by his nose, but don't feed him. Stay there for just a second, release him, and then feed the treat.

WAVE
this is my favourite trick Buffy looks so cute when performing it
Your dog should know how to shake hands before learning this trick. Face your dog and hold out your hand as if you are going to shake. When your dog lifts her paw to shake, don't grab it, just pull back your hand, and say "Wave". Then give your dog a treat.

HIGH FIVE

now your dog can shake hands and wave high five is easy sit your dog in front of you and hold the treat in one hand . lift your hand as if to ask for paw but slightly away from your dog when your dog goes to give you the paw say high 5 gradually you can move your hand higher .

DO YOU LOVE ME

sit your dog in front of you with a treat in your hand ask your dog if he loves mummy then move the treat up and down your dog will eventually get this its a fun trick.

REMEBER TRICKS ARE LEARNT BETTER WITH A COOPERATING DOG NOT A TIRED OR JUST FED ONE ALSO PLENTY OF PRAISE AND TREATS .
HAVE FUN
Back to top Go down
bones
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 781

PostSubject: Re: A Few Tricks   Fri 27 Nov 2009, 3:22 pm

coolies!! well noted and duley appreciated!! lacey knows some of thease allready, but i will try a few later!! what fun!!!
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4187

PostSubject: Re: A Few Tricks   Fri 27 Nov 2009, 3:25 pm

The bed one is a good one i am trying to teach my two lol, will try some of the other ones.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31917

PostSubject: Re: A Few Tricks   Sat 28 Nov 2009, 9:26 pm

Great post Jo
Back to top Go down
bones
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: A Few Tricks   Sat 28 Nov 2009, 9:27 pm

i tought lacey to play dead and sit n lay down at a distance last night,,she is quick at learning!!! the new on was playing dead!!! so funny she will do anything for chicken!!Lol
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: A Few Tricks   Sat 28 Nov 2009, 10:33 pm

thats brill toni make sure we get some vids of how its done lol
Back to top Go down
bones
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: A Few Tricks   Sat 28 Nov 2009, 10:36 pm

okies!! i will deffo do it when all good flowing tricks are mastered!!! in front of the camera to!!! she turns into a dumb ass when i get out the camera!!! ill secretly film her!! she must be shy!
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: A Few Tricks   Sat 28 Nov 2009, 11:02 pm

awwwww you will have to hide the camera behind a bit of chiken lol
Back to top Go down
bones
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member