Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Advice on hyperactive staffy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 19490

PostSubject: Re: Advice on hyperactive staffy   Thu 21 Jan 2010, 10:02 pm

mattie im not disagreeing i understand that food is a big factor but if the lady who asked the question is like me when i first started asking stuff to help with buffy she will be more confused than ever now not only with dealing with her situation but with all the food and ingrediants to .

i believe we ask for advice to gain everyones knowledge and experience and we should all respect each others opinions unless of course they are like an agruement elsewhere where the person is saying a couple of slaps never hurt a dog .

things just need to be kept simple for the ones like me i am not pulling rank just speaking from my experience where food is a minefield .
Back to top Go down
Mandy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1802

PostSubject: Re: Advice on hyperactive staffy   Thu 21 Jan 2010, 10:28 pm

I have put Tyson on raw diet. He has raw meaty bones, raw fish, then sensible scraps to make sure he has enough vitamins etc. he also occassionally enjoys a boiled egg! This is something you should research before trying it, and gradually introduce it to him as he may find it strange. There is a group on yahoo that will help you out if interested, just go to yahoo and sear raw meaty bones. My local butcher saves me bones and they dont charge me, so i only pay for his fish and veggies and his eggs. which is cheaper than any dried/tinned food. He is lot healthier now and has filled out a bit, but has not stopped him from being hyper although now it tends to in short bouts of hyper and he is mostly content to be asleep and cuddled! But please research it and dont just take my word, it may not be a suitable option. Also listen to everything Mattie has said, her advice that she has given others and i have read has helped me out heaps she may come accross sharp at times but she always means well and she is experienced far more than I!
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 7814

PostSubject: Re: Advice on hyperactive staffy   Thu 21 Jan 2010, 10:43 pm

hey mattie i,m not attacking you hun just disagreeing with you about wagg lol as i love it and know many that so but i did also recomend she tried something else to find out :)) as it wont suit all dogs my personal gripe is hills i loath the stuff and bakers now thats red bull in a sack to me also omega beef and pedigree chum what i found was a huge issue to lots with tummy problems i have found its mainly beef based that cause the issues too

i always recomend what i know and trust and go from there but if he is on wagg then its most definatly worth trying something else definatly i always agree with that in no way am i attacking hun sorry if you think i am

the dog has also only been in the home a few days so a change of food would need to be gradual too what works for one wont always work for another as you say its up to the owner but i do stand by i like it and wont ever change if i had to go back to it myself dr johns sounds a good one not heard of it myself

nutriton can be the biggest main cause of behaviour and tummy and skin issues in dogs some cant tolerate beef based some gluten some wheat some all 3 most owners wont think of this the vet doesnt either so a good look at the diet before anything else is always my first call even if they say to me ohh i use wagg i,ll say right ok lets look to something else so i dont push it if i think its wrong for the dog i look to other foods i also try to keep it simple speak if i can its so so confusing to a lot of people i agree science was always so hard for me

hopefully a change of diet will help a lot so rio can begin working with him :))
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 7814

PostSubject: Re: Advice on hyperactive staffy   Thu 21 Jan 2010, 10:52 pm

i use raw meaty bones to mandy i get it free via a friend there is allsorts in the bag suki now has that and looks ace on it its a very good option
and even i admit suki is calmer on it too (and she wasnt mental before at all really ) but shes happier more content and doesnt need anywhere near as much and looks good if not better on it so i,m a convert of it totally its a shame all dogs cant be fed it but peeps have cottoned on to us all trying it and the price can rocket and also can be hard to get

so yes another very good option to look at for all 3 mayebe making life easier and cheaper if they can all eat the same
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 19490

PostSubject: Re: Advice on hyperactive staffy   Thu 21 Jan 2010, 11:06 pm

if you live near an abatoirs you can get more if you feed meat , i can go up ours and have pet mince which is the scraps i know lol
they also do tripe although u have to clean it yourself and not nice if your tickled stomached
and as many bones as you can carry they will also give any meat that has fallen on the floor as obviously they cannot sell it but washed its all good stuff
Back to top Go down
Mandy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1802

PostSubject: Re: Advice on hyperactive staffy   Fri 22 Jan 2010, 12:15 am

I have to admit I am really lucky, if go into Dudley town i can get a massive tray of fresh bone for £2, I can go to Brierley Hill and get couple fo carrier bags of bones for free and they do the pgis legs and feet fresh too at 50p each, plus I can go a lottle further into halesowen and have choice of 2 butchers who will also give out bags of raw bones. I get all sorts in there. If you buy fresh joints of meat yourself form superstores I gave been told that is suitable for dogs too provided its not cooked. Ty is healthier and happier now so I am a convert too :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice on hyperactive staffy   

Back to top Go down

Advice on hyperactive staffy
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2