Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Tremors / Seizures

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2001

PostSubject: Tremors / Seizures    Sat 24 Aug 2013, 7:05 pm

Hi guys

Has anyone had any experience of a dog suffering from seizures???

I had to take my Poppy over the vet this morning as I was sooo sooo worried about her ...

for the last week or so she has been laid on my bed at night and suddenly sat bolt upright...this happens 3 - 4 times a week ... she starts salivating...jumps down on to the floor...hides under my bedside table and literally tremors from head to paws... her temperature last night when this happened must have been very high as she felt sooo hot ... this can last from a just a couple of mins to half an hour...

My vet checked her over thoroughly this morning ... her temperature was normal ... her heart and lungs sound ok ... vet checked her face and eyes and was happy with how Poppy appears ...

Vet is thinking that he's heard something that has spooked her ... she has always been petrified of fireworks and any loud noises but last night laid in bed it was silent ... I know dogs senses are much more sensitive than ours but I just don't know what to think ...

Vet has recommended buying her an Adaptil collar and test that to see if that helps in any way de-stress her ... however vet did mention that if Adaptil does'nt help or the tremors become worse that she may need testing to find out whether she is indeed suffering from minor Grand Mal Tremor / Seizure (I think thats how its spelt) ...

Family and vet think I'm panicking which yea, maybe I am but Poppy is my lil baby girl and I would'nt rest if I had'nt had her checked over ... Poppy is now 10 years old xxx

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: Tremors / Seizures    Sat 24 Aug 2013, 7:26 pm

No never experienced anything like that Wendy but I am sure Boris was having something simila( I hunk it was Boris) not sue if they got to the bottom of it yet

Did it appear to be the same reactions as to when she hears noise?

Back to top Go down
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tremors / Seizures    Sat 24 Aug 2013, 7:54 pm

Fireworks etc she does go into a panic ... she's chewed through several interior doors whilst in a moment of panic ... if she feels insecure she typically sits under my computer desk, lie down in one of the crates or she will go hide in the cupboard where we hang our coats but she's never been like this in my bedroom ... she normally settles down under the duvet and she's normally fine for the night but all of a sudden this has started happening ...

I'm watching the amount of water she's taking ... I am also giving the dogs smaller meals but more often to test this theory, as I know tremors can also be down to Diabetes and high or low blood sugar levels ...

but yes, thinking about it Jo, yes it is similar to her reactions with fireworks etc but in a more severe way
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23449

PostSubject: Re: Tremors / Seizures    Sun 25 Aug 2013, 7:45 am

How upsetting and worrying for you. If it were after walks etc I could have suggested a few things but to do this when she's relaxing is strange. Is she asleep when this happens and I was also going to ask about sugar levels etc.
I would probably as you are keep a diary and when it happens it may just show you a trigger

Hugs x
Back to top Go down
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tremors / Seizures    Sun 25 Aug 2013, 10:54 am

I've only seen Poppy have these tremors at night hun when going to bed ... she settles down fine but when she has one of these episodes she start salivating heavily ... she'll sit bolt upright ... dart of my bed (she sleeps in my room on my bed) ... hide under the bedside table and its there that she tremors ... I really do hope that I am wrong and hope it is only fear but its horrible seeing her like it and being powerless to help or do anything when it happens ...

In the evenings before going to bed she's suddenly started going into the cupboard to lay down where the coats and dog collars / leashes are ... just to try, I have started leaving the door of one of the crates open (I only have 2 crates has its only the 2 boys that get crated as they still quite boisterous and I would'nt want anything to happen whilst I'm out) and she's gone to lie down in one of the boys crates but if try to close the gate of the crate so she can relax and rest she panics and comes back out ...

I know all the symptoms are pointing to fear but she has never been like this before other than when it gets to bonfire night and/or new year when fireworks are going off ...

I'm grasping at straws here but I am just trying to try find out whats causing her to be like this but since we had the meteor shower couple of weeks ago the space station has remained quite visible over my area ... could / would there be any noise be coming from that??? As I said, I know I'm grasping at straws but its well known that animals have much superior senses than us but I'm just trying to work out whats happening to my precious baby girl ...

I also recently got diagnosed with Sciatica, Anxiety and Agoraphobia ... I've been suffering terribly with the conditions to the degree that the anxiety is almost controlling my life at the moment ... after waiting on the waiting list for several months I have started CBT therapy (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) ... but what are the chances of Poppy picking up on my senses???
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tremors / Seizures    Sun 25 Aug 2013, 11:02 am

I do think some dogs can pick up on our senses, I have also been suffering from anxiety for about 12 months but Reuben does not seem to pick up on it. Dogs can hear a lot better than we can, I wonder if there is a low noise emitting from the station? Does she seem worse at nights? I know you have mentioned about the cupboard in the evenings and the world is a quieter place at night time so you can hear noises you would not hear in the day, similar to the pilon noises that you hear in the countryside but dont notice so much in towns.
Have you thought of trying her on any calming medication? I used serene um for Reuben when he was at his worst.
More importantly do you have something to help you too xx

Back to top Go down
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tremors / Seizures    Sun 25 Aug 2013, 11:36 am

Yes it is only in the evenings and nights Jo ... she will quite happily lay on the sofa, play and go for walk in the daytime with no problems ...

The vet has recommended buying her an Adaptil collar ... I've heard of them but never used it ... vet can obtain the Adaptil collars but has she said, they are much cheaper online ... apprently the vet cannot buy the collars in for what we can buy them online in places like Ebay and Amazon ...

I've never heard of Serene um ... what is it???

I used to use Rescue Remedy ... it used to be ok ... helped a little ... but I heard some bad reports of giving it to a dog so stopped using it ...

My doctor is great hun ... I'm seeing her every 2 weeks ... she's always telling me to call her anytime during surgery if things are getting bad and to leave a message and she'll call me back ... I had to call her last Monday has I was suffering a bad panic attack at home ... I live in a small town but just the thought of even just going down as far as Sainsbury's which only takes 5 minutes makes me have a panic attack ... I'm lucky to get out the house twice a week at the moment and that is only if I'm accompanied ... I'm actually dreading my daughter going back to school has I am going to be almost housebound as I won't go out on my own ... the anxiety and agoraphobia is causing me real problems ...

I also started CBT therapy last week ... has the therapist said, there are soooo many issues that need dealing with but unfortunately they can only deal with one at a time ... the medical profession hope CBT will help but its early days and unfortunately the NHS only provide 6 weeks at a time xxx

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tremors / Seizures    Sun 25 Aug 2013, 1:27 pm

Hi Wendy Serene Um Calm Xtra is a dietary supplement, which contains natural ingredients required to produce increased amounts of mood stabilising substance, already present in the body, called serotonin. I have 12 tablets if you want them but that would only be three days supply but if you wanted to start her in them I am more than happy to post them to you. You can also use this long term without any side effects

Hope you find the CBT a benefit

Back to top Go down
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tremors / Seizures    Sun 25 Aug 2013, 2:04 pm

Just looking at them online hun ... look quite good ... how long do they take to start taking effect??? have you found them to be quite effective???
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tremors / Seizures    Sun 25 Aug 2013, 8:40 pm

They were initially but after a very close encounter with a firework we had a massive setback and he took something else as well. He is not on anything now but still has some moments, I know how to read him now and can tell when he is upset.
Reuben has places where nothing really affects him, mainly at home and on our close. He also deals with noise better in familiar places

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tremors / Seizures    Sun 08 Sep 2013, 2:08 pm

Hi Wendy, how is Poppy getting on?

Back to top Go down
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tremors / Seizures    Sun 08 Sep 2013, 2:18 pm

Hi Jo...

She's a very tiny bit better but she is still tremoring and hiding...she's like in in the evenings now too...we will be sat in the lounge and she'll suddenly go and hide in the big cupboard thing where my tumble drier is...still no idea what is causing it so assuming she's hearing something we're not...I am thinking it is fear...I've been trying the Serene Um but I think I going to buy her a DAP collar before the fireworks start to see if that helps...only thing I degrudge with the DAP collar is that their sooo expensive and they only last a month but I don't think the diffuser is going to be any good as would need one in each room...if that does'nt work I will have to her back to the vets...I fear she is going to make herself ill stressing out like she is xx
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23449

PostSubject: Re: Tremors / Seizures    Sun 08 Sep 2013, 5:00 pm

Awwwwwwwww Wendy - have you thought of inviting a dog behavouist to visit your home and asses Poppy maybe? x
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tremors / Seizures    Sun 08 Sep 2013, 6:18 pm

Awww poor girl, don't know what else to suggest. Could you put one of the crates in the front room and fully cover it with a blanket so she can go inside and feel safe? You our just leave the side with the door uncovered so you can leave it open.
Valerian may also help her

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tremors / Seizures    

Back to top Go down

Tremors / Seizures
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1