Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Off lead

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31854

PostSubject: Off lead   Sat 24 Aug - 19:49

Does everyone allow their dogs of lead time? If not is there a specific reason why not? I have see a few pics on FB where the dogs never seem to be off lead, even in the gardens?
I don't think I could ever imagine not being able to let mine off lead

Jack was DA so he could only belief off lead in the tennis courts as they were fully secured with locking gates so I knew he could not come across another dog

Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Re: Off lead   Sat 24 Aug - 19:53

Yes I give him off lead time. But I do put him back on when I see other dogs just to be cautious.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Off lead   Sat 24 Aug - 19:57

Yes I do that too, sometime I leave him off if they leave theirs off and he has his ball as nothing will distract him from his ball.
If he dog is smaller than him he usually has no interest anyway bu can be temperamental with some bigger dogs.

Back to top Go down
Jakethedog
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 3702

PostSubject: Re: Off lead   Sat 24 Aug - 21:53

as you know jo alfie is off lead 99% of the time only going back on while coming off walks & if I see another dog , im a lucky lad to have such a clever well behaved staffy
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Off lead   Sat 24 Aug - 21:59

You are indeed,I wish I could leave Reuben off all the time

Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Re: Off lead   Sat 24 Aug - 22:37

Jakethedog wrote:
as you know jo alfie is off lead 99% of the time only going back on while coming off walks & if I see another dog , im a lucky lad to have such a clever well behaved staffy  
Do you have him offlead when walking down the street then?
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 9711

PostSubject: Re: Off lead   Sat 24 Aug - 23:11

We only have Dell on lead when crossing roads or some-one is nervous/ doesn't know him or we meet an unknown dog.Always when we meet an unknown dog as I think its just good manners.
Back to top Go down
Bubbles-mum
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1916

PostSubject: Re: Off lead   Sun 25 Aug - 16:36

Jakethedog wrote:
That's the same with Bubbles. Well bebaved.
Back to top Go down
Jakethedog
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male

PostSubject: Re: Off lead   Sun 25 Aug - 19:24

StaffySel wrote:
Jakethedog wrote:
Do you have him offlead when walking down the street then?
just on my close till we reach the corner spinner smile  believe it or not if he gets slightly ahead head just stands on the corner in a frozen pose waiting to be clipped on his lead then once we come off the walk he knows the excact place I let him back off looking up & slowing down yes clever boy lol!

linda im with you on the good manners and clipping on lead but sadly most around here don't get that banghead 
Back to top Go down
stepys1
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2342

PostSubject: Re: Off lead   Sun 25 Aug - 19:38

Quattro isn't good with a lot of big dogs so he doesn't get off lead much as its hard to find some where where we can see what's coming, we do how ever use his very long training lead so this gives him some freedom.
Back to top Go down
Jakethedog
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male

PostSubject: Re: Off lead   Sun 25 Aug - 21:02

Bubbles-mum wrote:
Jakethedog wrote:
That's the same with Bubbles. Well bebaved.
yes very clever dogs are Stafford's
Back to top Go down
getcarter
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2019

PostSubject: Re: Off lead   Mon 26 Aug - 8:40

George and Ruby are off in the woods, I put them on for strange dogs though.

Daisy is kept on a long lead these days, she does have a strong prey drive and she shows far too much interest in the sheep bordering the woods and tends to explore too far away from me for me to feel comfortable.

I do put the others on as well as we get close to the field just in case as the lambs get through the fence to it would be no stretch for my lot to do the same!
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Off lead   Mon 26 Aug - 14:32

A lot off lead, just on lead in the street and as courtesy to others. We do have a huge big recreation ground five minutes walk away and that is through hen pens so no worries except for escaped hens.
Back to top Go down
Zeb2000
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male
Number of posts : 19

PostSubject: Re: Off lead   Mon 9 Sep - 21:04

Mine are off lead 99% of the time including down the street (although I do clip them on when we encounter other people and dog walkers on the same path) also I should point out I walk them at unsociaable hours mainly due to my shift work, you don't encounter many people at 4am round my way lol.
They are as good as gold, will freeze on the spot should I give the command, they see cats and other dogs on the other side of the street and pay them no mind at all, they cross a quiet road under my verbal control.
Molly is alway allowed to aproach other dogs that are off the lead in the country park I use but unfortunatly Mille has to be supervised or moved on with the lead as she can be aggressive to other dogs.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Off lead   Mon 9 Sep - 23:02

The world is a different place so early isn't it? I don't go that early but it is nice walking when ther is one else around. Your girls sound very well behaved spinner smile

Last edited by Staffylover on Wed 11 Sep - 6:25; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Off lead   Tue 10 Sep - 22:31

I love it when we are the only ones about. Impressed with your girls spinner smile 
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: Off lead   Wed 11 Sep - 14:37

Mine do get lots of off lead time.
they're never off lead on road walks because I'm pretty sure they'd all chase a cat if one ran from them.

Even if I see dogs around the only one I'd put on lead would be Kai

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1679

PostSubject: Re: Off lead   Thu 12 Sep - 15:20

Good post , im in this dilema myself now , only had wiley aweek so obviously he's not been let off , but i did let him go for 5 minutes today on the beach when no one was about , but where i live its quite built up so only have a couple of parks which are open and the beach , and everytime i go on the parks there usually quite full with other dogs , and most are off lead , but like take today , i went on the park and there were 5 other dogs on , off lead , two yorkshire terriers came running up to us barking there heads off , and i mean proper barking , one was even having ago at me LOL wiley stood there in amazement at these noisy creatures , then after a while of it he growled , i just dont think i could fully trust him with other dogs ? even tho he's great , but i can tell he wil retaliate when something annoys him , the lady had to get her dogs on a lead they were been that bad , and they got even worse when she put them on a lead , i was trying to talk to her but we couldnt hear ourselves as her dogs were so loud , all i remember her saying was isnt he a lovely mannered dog haha , its just such a shame because i feel if i let him off and something did start on him and he had ago he would always get the blame cause of his breed :(
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Off lead   Thu 12 Sep - 15:23

Jakethedog wrote:
alright alright show off LMAO , fair play for training him like that good job  what would alfie do if another dog rounded on him ? would he have ago ? like put alfie in my dogs position today with two zaping small dogs goin hell for leather with there barks would he just completly ignore them ?
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Off lead   Thu 12 Sep - 19:18

staffymad wrote:
Good post , im in this dilema myself now , only had wiley aweek so obviously he's not been let off , but i did let him go for 5 minutes today on the beach when no one was about , but where i live its quite built up so  only have a couple of parks which are open and the beach , and everytime i go on the parks there usually quite full with other dogs , and most are off lead , but like take today , i went on the park and there were 5 other dogs on , off lead , two yorkshire terriers  came running up to us barking there heads off , and i mean proper barking , one was even having ago at me LOL wiley stood there in amazement at these  noisy creatures , then after a while of it he growled , i just dont think i could fully trust him with other dogs ? even tho he's great , but i can tell he wil retaliate when something annoys him , the lady had to get her dogs on a lead they were been that bad , and they got even worse when she put them on a lead , i was trying to talk to her but we couldnt hear ourselves as her dogs were so loud , all i remember her saying was isnt he a lovely mannered dog haha , its just such a shame because i feel if i let him off and something did start on him and he had ago he would always get the blame cause of his breed :(  
Does he have good recall Mandy or have you not had chance to practice yet? If he has good recall you can let him off and if you see other dogs call him back. That's what I do with Reuben when we meet strange dogs. If it is familiar dogs and I know how he interacts with them then I either leave him of or put him on

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Off lead   Thu 12 Sep - 19:47

His recall isnt too bad , but i fear if he see's a dog or a cat , he will just ignore me , maybe im asking abit too much too early tho as he's only been here a week , hes learning to wait at road ends with me and getting much better so hes a quick learner
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Off lead   Thu 12 Sep - 19:54

Give him time, you will get there. Sounds like he is dog g great already x

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Off lead   Thu 12 Sep - 20:01

He is very good Jo , someone somewhere has trained him well , he takes food very gently , and sits and gives paw , he does listen when i say no , everyone that meets him says hes well trained , and i think the only reason i risked him off lead today for 5 minutes is because i honestly dont think hes missing his old life , had i thought he was still abit iffy and not settled with us i wouldnt of risked it , but i think he settled with us from day one and likes his new life here
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Off lead   

Back to top Go down

Off lead
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1