Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

to be done or not to be done?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sophie-Lou
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Female
Number of posts : 17

PostSubject: to be done or not to be done?   Fri 13 Sep 2013, 7:33 pm

Hi ladies and Gents,
Looking for a bit of advice really, about getting my biy neutered, our vets say he can be and recommend that we get him done at five months, however after talking to a friend who had owned staffs for a very long time I am now wondering if getting him done so young would be the right thing to do as my friend said that getting hom done so ypung could prevent him from growing properly and for wabt of a better word bulking out due to him having less testosterone running through him. After looking in to it some websites back this up but some r less clear about the possible effects...when did you all get your dogs neautured and did you Hve any growth ossues or know of anyone who did or is what iv been told a load of twoddle?
Thanks in advance x
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 9711

PostSubject: Re: to be done or not to be done?   Fri 13 Sep 2013, 8:16 pm

My boy was fully grown before he was done ( cant recall how old ) , but Hubby didn't really want him done.

Jo Staffylover helped persuade him
Hubbies pleased he's done now.
I think it stunts them if done to young and I'd go for the 2 year old mark, but this is a purely personnel choice mind.
Back to top Go down
stepys1
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2333

PostSubject: Re: to be done or not to be done?   Fri 13 Sep 2013, 8:20 pm

I'd also heard that this could happen & was also battling with the other half so be time Quattro was done he was also fully grown
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23354

PostSubject: Re: to be done or not to be done?   Fri 13 Sep 2013, 8:24 pm

Hi - it can be done at various stages in the dogs life - the younger - generally the better as the scrotum tends to shrink better if that makes sense.

It's really up to you honey and everyone is different when they get their dogs done x
Back to top Go down
nikki
Silver Forum Member
Silver Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 356

PostSubject: Re: to be done or not to be done?   Fri 13 Sep 2013, 8:27 pm

My boys were both done around the 9 month mark (rescues) but I would prefer to wait till about 18 months. IMHO 5 months is too young.

x
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31832

PostSubject: Re: to be done or not to be done?   Fri 13 Sep 2013, 9:05 pm

Always has older rescue (except Reuben) and all were done. However I had Reuben done at seven months as he was terrible for humping. Personally I would always have them done younger before all the hormones etc kick in

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31832

PostSubject: Re: to be done or not to be done?   Sun 29 Sep 2013, 9:12 pm

Have you made a decision Sophie?

Back to top Go down
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2001

PostSubject: Re: to be done or not to be done?   Mon 30 Sep 2013, 2:38 pm

I fully agree with castration/spaying...

Maybe I've just been unlucky but my previous boy Ollie had Testicular Cancer...he was an ex rescue dog but he was'nt done before we got him...

My girl Poppy had Pyrometra so had to have an emergency spay...the vet operated as it was a suspected Pyo...when she opened Poppy up her fears were confirmed...we were given a 50/50 chance of her coming through the operation...Poppy has also had a mammary gland tumour since the Pyo which we believe is due to her not having been spayed when she was younger (the risks are higher with an unspayed dog)...luckily Poppy did survive and still with us today

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: to be done or not to be done?   

Back to top Go down

to be done or not to be done?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Staffiezone :: Dog Chat, Help and Advice :: General or Random Staffie, Bullie and Dog Chat-
Jump to: