Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

wiley just got attacked

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1679

PostSubject: wiley just got attacked    Sun 22 Sep 2013, 12:22 pm

Hi Everyone

I am absolutly fuming , i was walking wiley on the beach and i had him on a short lease as it was really busy today , i could see from a distance this dog goin up annoying some other dogs and abit of a scuffle broke out , the owners of this loose dog were too busy playing games on the beach with there kids , but they was also right at the entrance to the beach , so we had to walk that way , anyway this dog come walking up i could see by the look of it what was goin to happen so i just pulled wiley and carried on walking as he wants to hello to all dogs , owners of dog not a care in the world , it went for wiley good and proper , im just so glad my husband was with me cause if he hadnt of been wiley would of been injured , wiley did fight back abit but he didnt go into a proper fight like i wouldnt of thought a staffie would ?? it was a big dog and i wouldnt of been able to get it off on my own , my daughter was in the middle of all this aswell and i shoved her out the way , the owners of the dog honestly did nothing but give us dirty looks so i gave them a right mouthfull about how that thing should be on a lead , as we were walking off the beach they were just stood looking at us like it was our fault , i am shaking here and so so mad , its just a good job they didnt hurl abuse at me or else there might of been a fight between me and the owner LOL how faming irresonsible tho having a dog like that loose , god im mad , im reporting it , i know nothing will get done but it will make me feel better reporting it , i just hope this doesnt make wiley aggressive ?
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31892

PostSubject: Re: wiley just got attacked    Sun 22 Sep 2013, 4:03 pm

It shouldn't do, just carry on as normal and don't react any differently when you meet dogs. If you are worried or tense he will pick up on that

Some people are complete idiots and should not be dog owners, they make my blood boil. I'm so glad you are all OK

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wiley just got attacked    Sun 22 Sep 2013, 4:53 pm

im gutted Jo , im still mad now , i know it happens all the time , as my mums female dog got set upon a few months back and she did get injured , and the owner again didnt even say sorry or anything , but im new too all this i was so protective of him when it happened , i gave him a treat and told he was a good boy , cause all he did was growl and he may of bit back but he deffo didnt fight , it was more of a get off snap , i shall be out tommorow with him and hopefully we shall meet dogs i know and hopefully he will be ok ? i just hear so many stories about dogs turning once they have been attacked
Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 15687

PostSubject: Re: wiley just got attacked    Sun 22 Sep 2013, 5:06 pm

As Jo has said you just be normal when you next go out with him and don't tense up when you see another dog walking about as he will sense this and try to protect you thinking you are worried.

I am just back from holidays and sick and tired of dogs having a go at mine, but because I have the Staff it is always me that gets the looks.

You will be annoyed for a few more hours yet and possibly even tomorrow when you get up, but don't let it spoil things for you,

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wiley just got attacked    Sun 22 Sep 2013, 5:28 pm

we did pass another dog on the way back , litrally 5 minutes after the incident if i hadnt of been so mad i would of warned the ppl as they were goin that way so i guess they were goin on the beach , and he didnt go to attack it or anything , but we didnt give them chance to say hello
Back to top Go down
Zetstaff
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 544

PostSubject: Re: wiley just got attacked    Sun 22 Sep 2013, 6:39 pm

It's a horrid feeling when that happens, it shakes you up. I too would say don't tense up when you meet other dogs, and I wouldn't praise or treat him when something like that happens as you're rewarding that certain frame of mind that you don't want him to be in

Well done for not decking them, stupid people

xxx
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wiley just got attacked    Sun 22 Sep 2013, 6:46 pm

Yea i can see your point in not praising him , next time which i no doubt there will be as there's just idiotic ppl everywhere ,  i wont praise him,  but at the time i just thought to praise him as he hadnt fought back so to speak , if he had fought back i wouldnt of praised him , he's acting abit funny aswell , he used to wet himself quite bad when excited or nervous when i first got him , but day by day he's been getting better , and now he only wets himslef but only sometimes when my husband comes home from work , so we take him outside when he comes in from work just incase , he doesnt always pee but sometimes he does , but it was getting less and less , since this attack he's wet himself a handfull of times in the house when we have been stroking him and making a fuss of him

very hard not to kick off in that situation , luckily they only gave us dirty looks and stared at us , i was the one telling them what i thought , if they had dared say anything back it probbely could of got nasty cause when im in the right i wont back down , and i was fully in the right , my dog on lead and there dog comes running up for a fight it didnt even sniff him it just went in for the kill , just as it did with the two other dogs previously , i still can't beleive its happened , because it could of been prevented by them putting there dog on a lead after it had ago at the other two dogs , i think they only got hold of it because my husband booted it , but as soon as we had got further away they let it go again , unebelievable

does anyone know are you covered by pet insurance if its a dog attack and your dog needs treatment ?
Back to top Go down
Zetstaff
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 544

PostSubject: Re: wiley just got attacked    Sun 22 Sep 2013, 7:10 pm

Yes I'm sure you'd be covered. I know we all do things differently, but I wouldn't fuss any of mine at all after something like that, not even when we got home. I just ignore them and carry on, I had all mine out on leads one day, Den was only about 4 months old, and this schnauzer thing came charging out of a house + went for my big lad Boris and all hell broke loose !!!

I had 4 dogs on leads all running round me, I couldn't move if I'd wanted to lol but because I just stood there, they kept the attacker at bay but didn't kill it. Stupid owner managed to catch it but it kept coming back for more and I still just stood there + let them get on with it

I know it's hard to keep calm and ignore, but it works. I was the worlds worst for tensing up if another dog was near, but I've worked really hard at taking a deep breath and standing up to it, so they don't feel the need to protect me.

They don't think the same as we do, we think 'aww poor baby' but they just pick themselves up + get on with it. If we see that dog out now, they just ignore it, except Tilly cos she's a cow lol

xxx
Back to top Go down
*lou*
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 520

PostSubject: Re: wiley just got attacked    Sun 22 Sep 2013, 10:57 pm

I know how you feel. I was in a similar situation when my Cody was just a 6 month old pup. An idiot who lived in our block had a DA dog, big one too, some sort of bull mix. The guy would walk him off lead around the block. We never saw him and he never saw us until it was too late. My 2 dogs were both on a lead and the dog just ran at us. It grabbed Cody, picked him up and shook him. My daughter had our small terrier on a lead and the dog then ran towards her. I had to scream at her to drop the lead in case it got her. My little terrier fought back while Cody cowered in a corner. The owner tried to get his dog and it bit him and then ran at Cody again. The owner then began kicking and punching the dog and lifted him in the air while Cody was still in his jaws! In the end the guy dragged his dog away as it let go of Cody. Both my dogs were very lucky. They had a few scratches and were covered in drool and Cody had a few bites round his ear.

I was a mess after. I was terrified of walking them, terrified of any dog walking near us and it really did make me not want to ever walk them outdoors. The dogs were fine. Daisy is a feisty little dog and it never bothered her at all. Cody is very submissive towards people but is fine with other dogs. I try not to tense up now or act any differently if a dog approaches but I know I do panic a bit still if one is off lead.
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wiley just got attacked    Sun 22 Sep 2013, 11:06 pm

Hi Lou

That sounds awfull and mine is nothing compared to that , your poor poor dogs , has it had a lasting affect on then ?

where i live its a very small town just outside blackpool , so mainly the dogs i meet are the ones i meet daily , so im hoping tommorow i will meet my usual ones and i can relax and see how he is , we nipped to the shop about 2 hours ago and met a jack russel who he's never met before , the jack russel is owned by a lady i used to be quite pally with and i remember him been a pup , hes 12 now but still a little s**t LOL wiley didnt show any aggression to him at all and i stood talking to her for about 5 minutes or more , this dog that attacked wiley i have never seen before and im hoping its just someone thats decided it was a nice day and gone to the beach with the kids and took there aggressive mutt with them , i go on that beach most mornings and i have never met it before , so im goin to guess is it a dog that doesnt get out much ? and when it does it goes mental ? either way im still mad as , and keep looking at my wiley feeling sorry for him as hes such a big soft thing
Back to top Go down
*lou*
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 520

PostSubject: Re: wiley just got attacked    Sun 22 Sep 2013, 11:17 pm

I don't think it's had any effect at all. He's still an intact male and has no issues meeting other dogs, male or female. He is very submissive towards people and will crawl along on his belly when we are out and people come over to say hello. I often wondered what would he be like if he ever did get into a fight but I found out last year when I wasn't well and a friend of mine took him for a week. He was being walked with a friend and his Am Bulldog. Both dogs got on great but a few days later Cody got hold of the other dogs tennis ball and the dog went for him. Cody fought back and the pair had to be pulled apart. Cody had some nasty wounds to his face and ears as did the other dog. Unfortunately , my friend also ended up with a nasty bite to his hand when he tried to split them and ended up with his hand in Cody's mouth. He need a good few stitches and a tetanus jab! But, even after that, Cody is still fine with other dogs.
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wiley just got attacked    Sun 22 Sep 2013, 11:23 pm

cool, lets just hope wiley is the same , as i have heard of dogs turning aggresive once they have been attacked
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wiley just got attacked    Mon 23 Sep 2013, 9:27 am

I have been out this morning , and instead of goin to the beach like i normally would , i went onto the local park where i know there's dog i know, i met a retriver thats only 5 months that he has played with before , i let him off lead and he was fine with him , but then another little dog come on and he ran off towards it and ignored me the little sod LOL i know the dog but wiley plays too rough with it so i always have to have him on a lead when that dogs about , but he showed no aggression towards them , there was another off lead that was growling at wiley , but he didnt seem to bother , i stood talking to the women with wiley on the lead and he kept throwing himslef in the air to get to these other two young dogs that were playing together , but i think he just wanted to play , but he plays far too rough with biff and its only polite he stays on a lead when that dogs about , hopefully yesterdays incident hasnt spoilt him , he is still peeing tho when he were patting him and he gets excited , hopefully that will ease in a few days
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wiley just got attacked    Mon 23 Sep 2013, 7:52 pm

That's good news, glad he was OK with the other dogs today

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wiley just got attacked    Thu 26 Sep 2013, 9:58 am

Well we had a testing time this morning , i went on another park very close to home , i never normally do this one at this time of day , and a big black dog that was identical to the one that attacked him come over , i know its ok as it only lives round the corner from my house , but wiley has never met it before and given sundays attack i must admit i was abit scared , the dog jumped at wiley on its front paws as they do when they want to play , wiley crapped himself and ran to me , but i carmly told him it was ok , then he snifed the dog and he was fine spinner smile  he wanted to play with it then LOL , we met a female boxer aswel that we havent met before and he wanted to play with her aswell
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wiley just got attacked    Thu 26 Sep 2013, 7:20 pm

That's good news, glad he is OK

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: wiley just got attacked    

Back to top Go down