Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Reuben bolted

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31845

PostSubject: Reuben bolted   Wed 25 Sep 2013, 7:16 pm

Reuben was spooked on the fields tonight by some loud noises and legged it off the fields straight onto a busy road that leads into the local hospital. It totally took me by suprise, as soon as he heard the noise he bolted and was totally unresponsive and would not come back. I was chasing after him but he was far too fast for me

The only thing that stopped him running into the road was a couple of cars parked on the side street and he ran to them, I assume thinking one was mine and I shouted come on then and banged on someone's car bonnet and he came back to me.

My heart was in my mouth and I just burst into tears when I had him on the lead as it was a very close shave and he was only feet from the main road

I have never parked up that way before so I don't know why he went that way, I am just so glad we taught him to go to the car when spooked, even if it was the wrong car

Back to top Go down
*lou*
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 520

PostSubject: Re: Reuben bolted   Wed 25 Sep 2013, 7:27 pm

Oh Jo, how scary. Can't remember if I posted about it but Cody did the exact same thing a while ago. I think it was a gun or something that loud, over on the farmers field next to the meadow I had let the dogs on. Cody bolted and like you, I gave chase. He crossed a road, thankfully just a quite road and then stopped to hide next to some young lad who saw me shouting and kept hold of him for me until I got to him. I'll be honest and say I've only let him off lead a handful of times now in that meadow because as soon as he hears anything unusual, he gets that look of fear and I panic too and grab him in case he legs it. I really wish I had somewhere safe/fenced that I could let him off but there's nowhere here.

So glad that Reuben stopped by the cars. You must have been so scared. Hugs xx
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 9711

PostSubject: Re: Reuben bolted   Wed 25 Sep 2013, 8:07 pm

Pleased it all ended well Jo
Bet you are shuck up hun.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reuben bolted   Wed 25 Sep 2013, 8:14 pm

I was at the time Linda! I was shaking with fear as I was running but I am a lot calmer now and need to think about whether I walk further afield like I did tonight or stick nearer to the car.

It's awful isn't it Lou. Reuben has done it three or four times now but usually runs through the exit into the estate. I spent some time with our trainer working on putting him in the car when he got scared and that usually works. The only problem is I have to drive everywhere which I don't mind if I know he will go to it. Last time he bolted I found him stood by our car when I finally caught up with him

Like you I can usually tell when he is spooked and I call him straight away and put him on lead but tonight he was different in that there was no delay, he just went

Back to top Go down
stepys1
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2342

PostSubject: Re: Reuben bolted   Wed 25 Sep 2013, 8:26 pm

How awful :(, glad your both ok
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reuben bolted   Thu 26 Sep 2013, 7:27 pm

Looks like last night was a bit of a set back for Reuben, he totally freaked out at the slightest noise on the fields tonight so looks like we have taken a few steps backwards :-(

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1679

PostSubject: Re: Reuben bolted   Mon 30 Sep 2013, 10:28 am

aww poor reuban , glad you got him back tho you must of been scared stiff never mind him :(
Back to top Go down
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2001

PostSubject: Re: Reuben bolted   Mon 30 Sep 2013, 2:31 pm

Awww Reubs...

Sooo glad your ordeal ended well and Reuben did'nt go onto the busy road...poor baby

You must have been awfully scared Jo...sheer panic

Big group hug to you all xxx
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reuben bolted   Wed 09 Oct 2013, 8:37 pm

Reuben seems to have had a big setback, not helped by some very loud noises on the fields on Monday night.
Tonight he tried to do a runner when a fence rattled in the wind, this was within five minutes of going onto the fields. I decided to put him on the lead and walk down to the park but he was stressed for the whole walk. We were walking with any and Sasha and even their presence did not help

I am going to walk elsewhere tomorrow, I am going to take him up to the farm and hope I miss the cows and see if he is more relaxed there as it should be quieter up there.

I have no ideas what I am going to do when it goes dark early as he still stresses on what I call street walks around our local estate.

I have also decided to put him back on serene um which I started tonight as there will soon be fireworks for him to deal with as well

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Reuben bolted   Wed 09 Oct 2013, 9:42 pm

Can't think why he is getting so spooked Jo? May be you need to stand your ground and not let him give in to whatever it is that is spooking him? I think you have tried this before but it may be that you could try it again?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reuben bolted   

Back to top Go down

Reuben bolted
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1